War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

05 SS vs. Challenger V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SS vs. Challenger V6

My buddy pulled up next to me at a light in his challenger V6 with an auto transmission. The light turned and he took off easy because I f'ed up my launch (needed a driver mod). I jumped up to his back bumper at the end of 1st gear and by the time I was at 5k in second I had half a car on him. I let off in third at about 4k and he was 4 cars back. Those things are slow as hell. I don't care, a kill is a kill.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by OffLightsEdge
My buddy pulled up next to me at a light in his challenger V6 with an auto transmission. The light turned and he took off easy because I f'ed up my launch (needed a driver mod). I jumped up to his back bumper at the end of 1st gear and by the time I was at 5k in second I had half a car on him. I let off in third at about 4k and he was 4 cars back. Those things are slow as hell. I don't care, a kill is a kill.
+1, they are terrible V6's

Tell your buddy he was dumb for not at least getting an R/T with the Hemi.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zenkat
+1, they are terrible V6's

Tell your buddy he was dumb for not at least getting an R/T with the Hemi.
yea.. how stupid of him to not be able to afford a more expensive car... what a dick
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If all I could afford was the V6 I'd keep saving til I could afford a V8. I don't care if its the old V6, new V6, Mustang V6 or Camaro V6.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM

If all I could afford was a turbo 4 I would keep saving till I could afford a twin turbo 6, blah blah. I'm sure he went with his car for his own reasons.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
If all I could afford was a turbo 4 I would keep saving till I could afford a twin turbo 6, blah blah. I'm sure he went with his car for his own reasons.
^^ Well said bro
Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
Its just like the guys that buy a camaro v-6. They want the new sexy car without paying the price up front or at the pump.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Lightbulb

I hate when people bitch about engine choices, like take me for example.

"oohhh blah blah why did you buy a 2.4 SS and not a boosted one n00b!!! BLAH"!!!

and I get this without even being able to tell them that I got it for DIRT CHEAP and its all I needed at the time, hell I wasnt even LOOKING for a car at the time.

Sometimes you just want the look, not everyone cares about the engine.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo
I hate when people bitch about engine choices, like take me for example.

"oohhh blah blah why did you buy a 2.4 SS and not a boosted one n00b!!! BLAH"!!!

and I get this without even being able to tell them that I got it for DIRT CHEAP and its all I needed at the time, hell I wasnt even LOOKING for a car at the time.

Sometimes you just want the look, not everyone cares about the engine.
Maybe the people who just want the look, shouldn't race it like they care about the engine.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 PM

Or maybe dodge should just put an engine capable of keeping within a city block of the competition in their base model challenger.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zenkat
Maybe the people who just want the look, shouldn't race it like they care about the engine.
or maybe people bought it for the looks but then changed their minds.

or maybe their budget wasnt as high as yours at the time
Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO the challenger should have never come with a V6 unless it was blown
Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 PM

I don't know either way. The Challenger V6 MSRP in 2009 was 23,995. I would've bought a new TC for less than that and gotten a car way faster than my LSJ. The Challenger couldn't even keep up with me, not to mention the interior looks like it was designed in the mid 90's by people with no imagination, and the exterior really isn't that impressive either in my opinion.

At the very least I'm impressed with my little LSJ. I can't wait until I can actually afford a tune for the parts I want to put in it.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Daddy
IMO the challenger should have never come with a V6 unless it was blown
The only reason a Challenger or a Camaro or a Mustang comes with a V-6 is purely for gas economy. The C.A.F.E. standards dictate that each company maintain a certain average miles per gallon over the entire vehicle range. Now, that being said, alot of people probably buy them for the looks rather than the performance. Around here we call them tools and they can take that V-6 and shove it up their ass. But I can see their side a little too. When all these cars came out in the late 60s the V-8s offered weren't much faster than the V-6 of today. In some cases the V-8 was slower, especially the mustang. Which was advertised as the "Secretary's sports car"... So you mustang guys can take that and chew on it a bit.

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 09-02-2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RyRidesMotox
The only reason a Challenger or a Camaro or a Mustang comes with a V-6 is purely for gas economy. The C.A.F.E. standards dictate that each company maintain a certain average miles per gallon over the entire vehicle range. Now, that being said, alot of people probably buy them for the looks rather than the performance. Around here we call them tools and they can take that V-6 and shove it up their ass. But I can see their side a little too. When all these cars came out in the late 60s the V-8s offered weren't much faster than the V-6 of today. In some cases the V-8 was slower, especially the mustang. Which was advertised as the "Secretary's sports car"... So you mustang guys can take that and chew on it a bit.
And now the mustang is the fastest of all 3 in every trim level... so you camaro and challenger fans have something to chew on as well.

But in all seriousness, the vast majority of pony car sold are v6's. There is no "only reason" when talking about these cars. Without the v6 models, the v8 models would have no chance of turning a profit. I know it's all perspective, but the v6 challenger is embarrassing. The v6 camaro and mustang are actually pretty good performers for the money. In fact, an ss/sc would be hard pressed to keep up with the new 3.7 mustang and the camaro would be right on its tail. The challenger 6 just isn't competitive at all. You have the high 13 sec mustang, the mid-low 14 sec camaro and the mid 15 second challenger that handles like a boat on land. Come on Dodge.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
And now the mustang is the fastest of all 3 in every trim level... so you camaro and challenger fans have something to chew on as well.

But in all seriousness, the vast majority of pony car sold are v6's. There is no "only reason" when talking about these cars. Without the v6 models, the v8 models would have no chance of turning a profit. I know it's all perspective, but the v6 challenger is embarrassing. The v6 camaro and mustang are actually pretty good performers for the money. In fact, an ss/sc would be hard pressed to keep up with the new 3.7 mustang and the camaro would be right on its tail. The challenger 6 just isn't competitive at all. You have the high 13 sec mustang, the mid-low 14 sec camaro and the mid 15 second challenger that handles like a boat on land. Come on Dodge.
Aparently Chevy is beefing up the camaro a bit also, but with all the BS that GM has been saying for the past few years I'm not holding my breath. The V-6 camaro puts out a few more HP than claimed in 2010. And the V-8 is another 1.2L bigger than the mustang. You are also talking about 2 different years of cars 2011 stang VS. 2010 Camaro/Challenger. Either way, there is no replacement for displacement. If you want to build a beast of a strip or track car you gotta start somewhere, and a 6.1L (Dodge) or 6.2L (GM) V-8 is, arguably, better than a 5.0L as far as that goes.

I do, however, applaude your loyalty to the mustang name. Its hard to stay loyal to mustangs when the camaros/firebirds consistently put up better numbers over the past 20 years. The camaros were faster from the beginning. I will concede to you this round sir, good show. I still don't want to drive the secretary's sports car though.

Have we hijacked this thread enough haha? PM me if you want to talk Cakeater you sound like you know whats up enough to have an intelligent converstion with about the classic mustang camaro battle.

Last edited by RyRidesMotox; 09-03-2010 at 07:56 AM.