War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

SS/SC vs Grand prix GTP

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Sounds like that car had a lot more problems than just too small of a pulley.
Like a ******* owner.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Hahaha, live and learn
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by arng22
well i put it into simple terms he said somthing with the only running 5 cylinders and a spark plug melting....
Doubt that's a melted plug but rather a smashed plug. Very typical in a GTP with KR. The piston chips at about the 2 o'clock position and the piece that comes off smacks the plug on the way out.

Tell him the good news is he can straighten that plug out and it will run. Bad news is he's going to need a new engine because it will happen again.

Now tell him there is a little black box a bit biger than a postage stamp just in front and on the driver's side of the blower. It has a pair of vacuum lines running to it, one from the passenger side coming off the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail and another going up to the boost bypass valve actuator (Big black round thing on the front of the blower), and a harness with two wires. Tell him to unplug that sucker. This will limit his boost to about 3-4 lbs and save his engine from that 3.0" pulley until he can put his stock pulley back on. (or a 3.8" if he has a modular pulley system)

So much for him running a 3.0" and no KR.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Robotech
Doubt that's a melted plug but rather a smashed plug. Very typical in a GTP with KR. The piston chips at about the 2 o'clock position and the piece that comes off smacks the plug on the way out.

Tell him the good news is he can straighten that plug out and it will run. Bad news is he's going to need a new engine because it will happen again.

Now tell him there is a little black box a bit biger than a postage stamp just in front and on the driver's side of the blower. It has a pair of vacuum lines running to it, one from the passenger side coming off the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail and another going up to the boost bypass valve actuator (Big black round thing on the front of the blower), and a harness with two wires. Tell him to unplug that sucker. This will limit his boost to about 3-4 lbs and save his engine from that 3.0" pulley until he can put his stock pulley back on. (or a 3.8" if he has a modular pulley system)

So much for him running a 3.0" and no KR.

he said something yesterday with the bypass valve..really he just doesn't get the concept of supporting mods
Old 09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

a GTP cant run a 3.0 pulley with just an intake , i was running a 3.25 with intake , ported throttle body , longtubes , exhaust , tune ,plugs and wires and i still couldnt have jumped to a 3.0 unless i had a short stack

and now i just read his motor seized what an idiot
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM

he said something yesterday with the bypass valve..really he just doesn't get the concept of supporting mods
Then he will become really well aquainted with the public transportation system.

Let him know he is already going to be due for a new engine. He needs to put Ed Morad's phone number on speed dial. (Ed Morad, for those that don't know, is the Grand Prix communities resident used parts superstore proprieter. He buys wrecked GPs and parts them out. My understanding is that he's dipping into the LSJ market now too.) He can get a used engine from Ed for around the $600 plus shipping.

Of course, then he's going to need to install it too.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
syP

Let him know he is already going to be due for a new engine. He needs to put Ed Morad's phone number on speed dial. (Ed Morad, for those that don't know, is the Grand Prix communities resident used parts superstore proprieter. He buys wrecked GPs and parts them out. My understanding is that he's dipping into the LSJ market now too.) He can get a used engine from Ed for around the $600 plus shipping.
Good old BBV unplug... I did that for a few weeks and still could chirp the 1-2 upshift. had 2.3lbs of boost

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
a GTP cant run a 3.0 pulley with just an intake , i was running a 3.25 with intake , ported throttle body , longtubes , exhaust , tune ,plugs and wires and i still couldnt have jumped to a 3.0 unless i had a short stack

and now i just read his motor seized what an idiot

a GTP with longtubes??

now i have heard it all.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by syP
Good old BBV unplug... I did that for a few weeks and still could chirp the 1-2 upshift. had 2.3lbs of boost

a GTP with longtubes??

now i have heard it all.
im sorry equal length same **** it wasnt ported logs
Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

*ANOTHER UPDATE*

he got new plugs, wires, and all new pulleys for every part of his motor why? not sure
oh and a MAF...apparently the car runs fine again..i don't know what to tell this kid on how to make the car "safe"
Old 09-24-2007, 03:59 PM
syP

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
im sorry equal length same **** it wasnt ported logs
Equal length?

there is only 1 Grand Prix running equal length.. and thats Matt M from ZZP/Stattama... thats a 9 second car.

Every single aftermarket ported manifold, power log, or header available to the public is NOT equal length. Its hard to do it when the front header has to turn to the side of the engine and over the trans

Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 PM

GTP with longtubes? WTF?

Wow Syp, thats a wicked set up that guy has.... that some serious $.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM

*ANOTHER UPDATE*

he got new plugs, wires, and all new pulleys for every part of his motor why? not sure
oh and a MAF...apparently the car runs fine again..i don't know what to tell this kid on how to make the car "safe"
I told you, have him unplug his Boost Bypass Valve Control Sylinoid. (or however you spell it...f-it!!!!) Tell him though that the engine IS damaged if he pulled a bent plug out of it (probably cylinder number one). He has NOT corrected the problem, only the symptom. Also he wasted his money since all he needed to get where he's at now is ONE plug. (Even then he may have been able to fix the one that was bent...)

Show him this thread and show him this picture:

Whatever cylinder the bad plug came out of the piston now looks like the one in the middle of the picture. If he keeps running it the way he has it now it's going to look like the one on the left side of the picture. Tell him that when that piston on the left side went the second time (the chip at the 3 o'clock position was the SECOND chip) that it threw a piece into my heads and jammed up the intake valve thus loosing all compression in that cylindar. That can't be fixed with a new plug.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM

+1 robo i'll be sure to tell him ( he knew about the bypass) but he is a little stuburn when it comes to damage to the motor he says "the supercharger has nothing to do with the engine"

..guess we will learn someway
Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 AM
syP

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
GTP with longtubes? WTF?

Wow Syp, thats a wicked set up that guy has.... that some serious $.
considering it runs 9.1 in the quarter at over 150mph.. yea, i bet it has some serious money into it
Old 09-25-2007, 01:16 PM

why you sellin the balt syp? You getting back into Grand Prix's? lol
Old 09-26-2007, 01:51 AM
syP

Yes i am.. for the amount of money i put into this car, i could be easily running 12s all day on a street tire in the w-body