War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Y R all the GTO vs SS Threads Locked ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
I know what an STi looks like, kid. This isn't my first day on the job. I suppose he swapped over the whole interior, the STI shifter, STi foglight covers, brakes, and wing too.

Thats what happens when you don't run in DA thats in the negative, real world times. 13.4 @ 98 is a GOOD time for a STi with just a turboback and launch control. Get with the program, 12.9 in a stock STi is probably running in -3000 DA.
Its possible

2nd there u go with that DA i asked u to show me where NHRA uses it...still no response.

Magazines for one...and they usually have worse times then what ppl drive at teh track...dont they have gtos listed somewhere in the mid 13s?

13.3 @ 103 - Road & Track, 2004 vehicle
13.3 @ 100 - Motor Trend, 2005 vehicle
13.0 @ 103 - Motor Trend, 2006 vehicle

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...770180248f.htm

here chew on these too:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=432553&page=2

u guys suck at trolling
Old 08-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Thread: I know the guy personally
http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthr...highlight=12.8

Weather: Indiana is like 20 miles away not even
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Comes out to 856 ft on that pass...not that DA is all that great. Its good for comparing air conditions day to day but not for making assumptions on ppls track times...

Last edited by Halfcent; 08-29-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 PM

ANOTHER CASE IN POINT:

ZINNER who is a mod on this site Pulled 254whp with the below.

The mods:
2.8 Pulley
42# injectors
HPtuners (soft tune)
Exhaust and intake

I think the guy claiming 270 whp is a little off there bud.

You raced a 250whp cobalt.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FNFAST
ANOTHER CASE IN POINT:

ZINNER who is a mod on this site Pulled 254whp with the below.

The mods:
2.8 Pulley
42# injectors
HPtuners (soft tune)
Exhaust and intake

I think the guy claiming 270 whp is a little off there bud.

You raced a 250whp cobalt.
270whp is plausible with a 2.7" and the right tune. Most tunes run 15* of timing at WOT, but with the right setup and tune I was pushing 21* with 91 octane. Plus he has the 42.5# injectors, the 60# are better WHEN TUNED PROPERLY. 250whp is about right for the 2.8", 275whp is achievable with all the right boltons and tune with the 2.7"
Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by djt81185
Thread: I know the guy personally
http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthr...highlight=12.8

Weather: Indiana is like 20 miles away not even
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Comes out to 856 ft on that pass...not that DA is all that great. Its good for comparing air conditions day to day but not for making assumptions on ppls track times...
856ft DA at a track that is 1250' above sealevel is win
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM

270whp is plausible with a 2.7" and the right tune. Most tunes run 15* of timing at WOT, but with the right setup and tune I was pushing 21* with 91 octane. Plus he has the 42.5# injectors, the 60# are better WHEN TUNED PROPERLY. 250whp is about right for the 2.8", 275whp is achievable with all the right boltons and tune with the 2.7"
Yeah, I got that...we were discussing the cobalt in the vid...he claimed to have 270whp with a 2.9 pulley and a tune.

I guess my point is, thats the slowest 270 whp 2.9 cobalt I have seen.

I had 268whp and could walk a friends 2.9 stage 2 cobalt by a good car in every gear.

I know SloSho...I don't think he is being dishonest...I just don't think the the guy he raced was being honest about his HP. I'm not saying he shouldn't of won either...I'm just saying a true 270whp cobalt would have faired much better...thats all.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I got that...we were discussing the cobalt in the vid...he claimed to have 270whp with a 2.9 pulley and a tune.

I guess my point is, thats the slowest 270 whp 2.9 cobalt I have seen.

I had 268whp and could walk a friends 2.9 stage 2 cobalt by a good car in every gear.

I know SloSho...I don't think he is being dishonest...I just don't think the the guy he raced was being honest about his HP. I'm not saying he shouldn't of won either...I'm just saying a true 270whp cobalt would have faired much better...thats all.
No doubt....I can't watch the vids at work so I have no clue about that car. 2.9 yields a best whp of approx 245-255. There are mods that can boost it slightly, but that's just not much boost (15-17). I have tuned more cobalts here than most people so I have a good knowledge base. 2.9" without a bomb ass tune is more like 235whp.

The guy more than likely lied. His car probably felt a lot faster than when he bought it so he was probably just trying to base his SOTP feel by saying larger numbers. Most SS's lately have been dynoing 175-195whp stock, stage2 ~225whp. We have all heard of the higher numbers that some put down, but you would be unjustly getting your hopes up if you think everyone's runs 220whp stock.

You seem to know what you are talking about too, here and in other threads. You are dead on in your estimate for that dudes whp.....possibly even optomistic (only to give him the benefit of the doubt).
Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by PpAzZ1101
I guess I failed to find the humor in it.

you fail!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

3100lbs is a bit heavy for a cobalt.

Not sure but I can completely see a 270whp cobalt giving a LS2 GTO a good run for it's money...at least on the highway.

Kinda like saying how can the new elise exige s with 220 motor hp keep up with a GTO...it doesn't keep up...it beats it...QM dips mid 12's. Not even the best 12.8 of the GTO can best that feat.

Never under estimate Weight, gearing, and high redline. While your shifting into a higher gear...with even a higher ratio...it still has 3,000RPMS of prime pulling.

HP to wieght ratio puts a 270whp close enough to a GTO to give it a good chance...then when coupled to a higher redline...it makes for a very interesting race. It certainly wouldn't be the one sided slaughter like it is being made out to be.

Just my 82 cents.

What the hell are you talking about? I can shift at 6,500rpm.

I easily put 3-4 cars a Stage 2 + intake + exhaust SRT-4 from any speed roll. So the results would be very similar vs a 270whp SS/SC. Especially since a 270whp SRT-4 would best a 270whp SS/SC.

I raced my old Stage2 SS/SC (241whp) and two other stage cars and easily put 4-5 cars on them from a roll. Adding 30whp isn't going to close that gap.

I would race any of them from a dig but they didn't want to after get beat from a roll.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:28 PM

I think both are good cars but should not be compared, the cobalt is an entry level sport compact, a dang nice sport compact but not a muscle car. the gto is a RWD V8, sure it weighs more but there is a heck of alot more power there.

I know this a SS board but since i own neither a gto or an SS i guess i give an unbiased view? the LS2s have a heck of a lot of potential in them, with 6.0Ls that engine physiclly can take more power than the 2L of the SS. im not sure on the techincal specs of the 2.0 motor but if it has forged internals thats a nice touch.

I did have the pleasure of driving both back to back at the GM autoshow in motion. i thought the SS was funner to drive than gto. the torque management of the GTO really kills fun to drive by delaying throttle responce in the hopes for traction.

if i was buying a car to leave alone and not modify i would pruchase a cobalt, it just seemed funner stock, however if i was buying a car to race be it at the strip or on the street i would get a gto and throw in a nasty cam as well as supporting mods and shoot for 500rwhp
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Banned

If you think the torque management in a GTO is bad try driving my 2007 Silverado 5.3, that computer is a damn babysitter.

Full throttle from a dig will do nothing but chirp the tires, then it just takes off like crazy. You then sit there thinking this things going to light them up when it hits second. You are then disapointed when TM says I don't ******* think so.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Sorry but only ricers find the EVO and STi appealing that it isn't " my " opinion.

I cannot remember the last time I heard a girl or anyone for that matter watch a STi drive by and give a ****. If thy do say anything it's usually " lets go smoke that ricer " or " nice exhaust" .

This kind of made me laugh. Whether you want to consider a car appealing is up to you. But the fact still remains that the new GTO sold like ****!! It's sales were so poor through most of it's entire run, that you can get crazy rebates and other stuff because GM just wants to get them off there lots. They never came close to reaching any of the sales goals GM had for them.

That's probably what you mean by appealing though. Cars that don't sell well are more appealing to the general public.....

There are far more STi's and Evo's around here than GTO's. Considering it costs more( especially here) for an STi or Evo, people could just as easily afford a GTO. It's probably because the GTO is SO appealing they get confused and buy the wrong car.

Some interesting videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZliO4rUPvg

CHeck out at 3:30. Stig bogs the **** out of his launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7tJYX2lpI

Last edited by Evolvr2006; 08-30-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 AM

The GTO just has a stigma against it. People wanted it Retro, and then complained how it looked nothing like the old GTO.

The fact is that the old GTO's were not their own car. It was just a performance designation on another car, like SS or WS-6 or GT. The GTO was 3 different cars depending on year (Ventura, Le Mans, Tempest). The GTO stayed true to its origins........higher than standard HP, and heavy coupe with better than average handling.

As for their sales figures, Pontiac never really hoped to sell a lot of them. Obviously they hoped to sell what they made, but since they only made about 50,000 of them in 3 years they weren't meant to be a big hitter. Cars like Mustangs sell 300,000 or so a year, so by comparison they didn't intend to be any type of competition in sales. But on the performance end they did outperform the mustang for each respective year, and that was the main point. Pontiac was just desperate to keep a high performance RWD car on the market to meet the needs of the Pontiac Enthusaiasts.

Whether other people like them or not is nothing I really care about. The fact is that I have always liked the GTO, and I have been excited as hell since I got mine, and proud of it too.

I think the New G8 GT will show what Holden is made of, and with the ease of mods that will be going into the new motor you will see HP #'s that will laugh at the stock ~365hp. Overall they are rediculously cool cars compared to what GM's standard is here in the US.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:21 AM

I find the "Pontiac never really hoped to sell alot of GTO's" angle to be hilarious. Pontiac would have liked nothing more than to sell every one they made and have to make more so they could sell those too. To say otherwise is pretty silly, Pontiac wants to make money, so does GM. With Toyota nipping at GM's heals I don't think they have the luxury of making a car just because they can anymore.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
I find the "Pontiac never really hoped to sell alot of GTO's" angle to be hilarious. Pontiac would have liked nothing more than to sell every one they made and have to make more so they could sell those too. To say otherwise is pretty silly, Pontiac wants to make money, so does GM. With Toyota nipping at GM's heals I don't think they have the luxury of making a car just because they can anymore.
Ummm...GM = Pontiac. But I will agree that I'm sure GM didn't start producing the GTO with expectations that it wouldn't sell too well. Who would make a car and expect low sales?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 AM

actually... the car had been in production in australia since 2001... it was at the end of its life, gm brought it here as a RWD test platform, and it was a success, now we are getting the G8 and a whole boatload of other GM RWD cars
Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 AM

So how many of you say...

I'll only buy this car if it is a good seller and hit with the public? I don't know about you cats, but I never buy my cars for other people. I didn't buy my neon for somebody sitting in the back seat complaining about the non power windows, nor did I purchase my 2006 GTO for anybody or based on what the general public wants, please.

I bought it because its a cool LS2 RWD powered V8 car, and to explore its power potential...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pontiac made 11069 05's and in 06 they made 13948

O WAIT WHAT IS THAT A WHOPPING 2 YEAR TOTAL OF 25,017 GTO's in 2 years , they must have been expecting the GTO to bring pontiac back with all the ones they made huh , THE GTO was pontiacs plan to get out of the red LMAO

if a company makes 25,000 cars in 2 years there OBVIOUSLY NOT TRYING TO MAKE MONEY OFF IT

sometimes you guys crack me up let me reiterate that for you PONTIAC MADE 25,000 GTO's in 2 years which is about the amount of civics made in a month
Old 08-30-2007, 09:31 AM

What the hell are you talking about?
I guess I can ask you the same thing with this comment:

I raced my old Stage2 SS/SC (241whp) and two other stage cars and easily put 4-5 cars on them from a roll. Adding 30whp isn't going to close that gap.
30whp is a lot of gain for these cars...enough so that a 240WHP cobalt is not comparable to a 270WHP cobalt. If you ever owned a 270WHP cobalt you would understand.

Racing a 240WHP car doesn't allow you to "guestimate" what it would do against a 270whp car.

You put 4-5 car lengths on a stage 2 SS/SC? A 270whp car will murder a stage 2 cobalt...thats a fact. Ask any of the guys here who used to run a stage 2 and are now running 270whp...they will tell you. (I know you won't listen...but they will tell you).

Add a 50 shot of nitrous to a stage 2 cobalt and you might see 270whp...NO YOUR RIGHT...there isn't any difference between the two.

Give me a break Cody...your talking jibberish man.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:34 AM

aww snap
Old 08-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

I guess I can ask you the same thing with this comment:

30whp is a lot of gain for these cars...enough so that a 240WHP cobalt is not comparable to a 270WHP cobalt. If you ever owned a 270WHP cobalt you would understand.

Racing a 240WHP car doesn't allow you to "guestimate" what it would do against a 270whp car.

You put 4-5 car lengths on a stage 2 SS/SC? A 270whp car will murder a stage 2 cobalt...thats a fact. Ask any of the guys here who used to run a stage 2 and are now running 270whp...they will tell you. (I know you won't listen...but they will tell you).

Add a 50 shot of nitrous to a stage 2 cobalt and you might see 270whp...NO YOUR RIGHT...there isn't any difference between the two.

Give me a break Cody...your talking jibberish man.

30 WHP in a cheby cobalt is a huge deal, thats like the difference between a stock cobalt and a stage 2 one , big difference

imo the only way a chevy cobalt ss/sc is gonna beat a 6.0 GTO even from a roll hes gonna need at least a 2.6 60 lbers good tune , meth full exhaust and then maybe they will win / this is from a roll of course

or a stage 3 cobalt would take a gto also especially if you dynoed around 250 before the 50 shot which will put you at around 290 WHP which is nice

Originally Posted by LittleMT
So how many of you say...

I'll only buy this car if it is a good seller and hit with the public? I don't know about you cats, but I never buy my cars for other people. I didn't buy my neon for somebody sitting in the back seat complaining about the non power windows, nor did I purchase my 2006 GTO for anybody or based on what the general public wants, please.

I bought it because its a cool LS2 RWD powered V8 car, and to explore its power potential..
exactly and i also bought mine because NO ONE has them not because they were so popular , different strokes for different folks (zips up flame suit)

Last edited by Red2.4SS/SC; 08-30-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 AM

30 WHP in a chevy cobalt is a huge deal, thats like the difference between a stock cobalt and a stage 2 one , big difference
Thank you.

imo the only way a chevy cobalt ss/sc is gonna beat a 6.0 GTO even from a roll hes gonna need at least a 2.6 60 lbers good tune , meth full exhaust and then maybe they will win / this is from a roll of course
He's gonna need a bit, thats for sure...not saying the coby wouldn't.

or a stage 3 cobalt would take a gto also especially if you dynoed around 250 before the 50 shot which will put you at around 290 WHP which is nice
And 290 whp on the bottle for a stage 3 is conservative. I pulled 317 whp on HO mode and Nitrous. I was telling the other guys on the wisconsin forum...I can pull from 80-120 faster than a stage 2 with a 2.8 can pull from 40-80...I have the videos somewhere...I should find them. I will IM them to you if I find them red.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

Thank you.

He's gonna need a bit, thats for sure...not saying the coby wouldn't.

And 290 whp on the bottle for a stage 3 is conservative. I pulled 317 whp on HO mode and Nitrous. I was telling the other guys on the wisconsin forum...I can pull from 80-120 faster than a stage 2 with a 2.8 can pull from 40-80...I have the videos somewhere...I should find them. I will IM them to you if I find them red.
damn i wanna see that
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM

damn i wanna see that
I will dig them up and IM them to you
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

I will dig them up and IM them to you
sounds good

Quick Reply: Y R all the GTO vs SS Threads Locked ?