Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

Need some quick opinions on summer tires for TC

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some quick opinions on summer tires for TC

I have been searching and reading through countless tire threads for almost a week trying to answer my questions, but now I must make a decision. I'm purchasing an LNF and the owner is going to put new tires one before I purchase it. I currently live in the Fort Wayne, IN area, but plan to move to the Silicon Valley area in January where I'm assuming I'll be able to run summer tires all year. I have just a few questions:

1. Is there a summer tire that would do alright in light snow for a month or two when brand new? (if not I'll probably buy cheap winter wheel/tire combo come November, but I really don't want to for 2 months of driving)

2. 225/40R18 or 235/40R18? I've never autocrossed or anything, but I'd like to try it, also looking to be able to put down bolt-on and tune power (320whp). May get Pedders springs next year also so I don't want to rub. (Stock TC rims)

3. Looking for some level of comfort too, have some back issues so I don't want a jarring ride from rock hard tires.

I've been looking at these:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Continental ExtremeContact DW (have the all-season DWS on my GTP now, but I'd rather have straight line traction over handling on that car)

BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2

I have read reviews on the Pole Positions that someone said they drove in some snow and it was like having all-seasons, but it was a WRX...these are my first place choice right now

What are your opinions of these tires? Definitely don't want to replace them in 10k miles or anything either, hoping they last a little while.

Thanks!!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran a set of BFGs on my HHR...loved them for the first few months...by the time six months hit I was into summer and hated them. I got about 17k out of them total out of them before I swapped them out for my current setup. I enjoyed them in the curves...hated them in the rain...hated having to buy new tires after a year but hey that's how it goes with these types of tires.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
1. Is there a summer tire that would do alright in light snow for a month or two when brand new? (if not I'll probably buy cheap winter wheel/tire combo come November, but I really don't want to for 2 months of driving)

No. The main difference between summer and winter tires is the rubber compound. Any summer performance tire will suck in temperatures under ~50F. The rubber turns rock hard and snow will plug up the threads and turn them into snow boards.

2. 225/40R18 or 235/40R18? I've never autocrossed or anything, but I'd like to try it, also looking to be able to put down bolt-on and tune power (320whp). May get Pedders springs next year also so I don't want to rub. (Stock TC rims)

From my experience, Nitto NT05 235's in combination with Sportline springs ripped my rear tires to shreds. That is, until my fenders "rolled" themselves running this setup. I've ran 225's ever since, even on the road track.

3. Looking for some level of comfort too, have some back issues so I don't want a jarring ride from rock hard tires.

I'm not sure that any 40-series summer performance tire will give you anything but a harsh ride. You may want to consider smaller wheels or all seasons. I don't have any experience on the Cobalt with either.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have those BFG's and they don't soak up much bumps, the best riding tire I own at the moment is a 225/40/18 Conti DWS better than my 225/45/17 Khumo Ecsta 4x and way better than the 235/40/18 BFG Sport comp 2, not sure what my next summer tire will be I'm thinking NT05 possibly, but I'd probably go with the Conti DW of those.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) No. In temps below 40 degrees F, the rubber in summer compound tires get very inflexible and will slide around in any kind of wet weather.

3) See our head to head test results between the Bridgestone and Conti HERE

The Comp2 is one step down the high performance food chain, so would have a little less grip at the limit in exchange for just a little longer tread life.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For reference, I have 255/40/17 Conti DW's and they can't hold my stock LSJ through first in the summer. In the rain, I can spin through 1st and 2nd after ~3krpm.

I'm looking at 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE11A's for next year.