Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

(How to) make your clutch stop slipping. Find out inside.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stone629
This theory is total BS. I have tried the 3k rpm shift, etc for over 4k miles now, and this is what I'm still getting... YouTube - 2006 Cobalt SS/SC pull

If your clutch is slipping, forget all this "shift at 3k rpm" and "don't take it easy" crap and get yourself a decent clutch. The fact is, our OEM clutches suck *****! They are crap. If you want to make any power at all, powershift, run DRs or slicks, etc, get the best clutch you can afford at have it professionally installed. Period.
Kinda have to disagree. My clutch burst the night I bought it, from abuse of the previous owner, at 6000 miles. I have 82k miles on this clutch, 88k miles on the car. Which includes about 300 1/4 mile passes, track days, endless toll booths, on ramps, red lights, passing people, top speed runs, and the occasional high way beep n go. Never slipped once. If you treat it right, it will last forever.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up So far, this technique seems to work ! ('09 SS/TC )

The cars has never been tracked, and rarely launched over 1K off the line. At around 26K I started noticing some smells when taking off of a light/stop sign, and did get some slip in 5th.

The 3K shifts did the trick - no more funny smells & feels.

Which was a good thing as I first noticed the issue on the morning of the very day I was driving to New Orleans for a sales meeting ...

I think these clutches are hard to learn, and this is not my first time driving a manual vehicle, so I am not a newb in that aspect , and just want to be driven harder than your average bear.

OK - I can do that.

Britt
Old 05-31-2012, 05:16 AM

I have no clutch slip at ~44000mi, ive had the car since ~20000

shift at 3-4k on regular driving

I redline the car fairly often and i've taken it to top speed countless amounts of time, raced several times for longer distances with lots of braking and downshifting. Also lots of launches from stand stills, either to race or just have fun I usually rev at 2600-3000 to launch nicely. There's a spot in that range where you hear a nice little high pitched chirp and then hook up and go til red line (mind you perfect throttle control, overdo it and you'll hold yourself up spinning)

I'm usually pretty nice to a clutch, even when revving high. Foot is either on or off, I'm quick but still smooth. Almost always perfect rev matched downshifts etc. basically no silly clutch habits that people usually develop But... I love burnouts and I have on a few occasions launched high to peel, but its certainly not somethin to make a habit out of. and as far as I can tell my clutch hasn't suffered

Always chirping into second when you powershift past 5k in first, normal acceleration in higher gears at low rpms, clutch works fine still.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Well, I shall try this, my clutch is slipping once and awhile now. But I know for a fact I baby this thing compared to the previous owner. I always shift at 2400 ish. So I will give this a shot, hell it can't hurt. And it might put off the 1000 dollar clutch job for a few months.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM

this thread is worse than my threads lol.,....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM

My clutch only slips when I stomp on it at 3000rpm, never slips anytime else, anybody know what's going on here? Ad it only slips in 3,4,5th
Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 PM

110k miles on the car, 104k on the clutch. I hear the whine every day, and I have taken a couple friends for joy rides. The clutch still just rolls its eyes at me like I'm not even trying to hurt it.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM
KTM

Mines been slipping when I go from a stop, and jam it in second. I'll be going steady 40mph but it sounds like I'm flying. Almost seems like I'm just spinning, but I'm not. I'll see how I drive when I get home and try this out to see if it helps.

Somewhat a grave dig here, but I used the search button and found this. Maybe my bump will help people, I'll post if this works for me. Cars at 49k and I know the previous owner shifted at low rpm and didn't drive fast. He didn't say anything about it slipping though. (doesn't always happen to me either, and just in second)

Sent from my LGL86C using CobaltSS
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
How to make your clutch stop slipping:
1. Remove OEM clutch.
2. Replace with GMPP LSJ Upgraded Clutch Kit.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KTM
Mines been slipping when I go from a stop, and jam it in second. I'll be going steady 40mph but it sounds like I'm flying. Almost seems like I'm just spinning, but I'm not. I'll see how I drive when I get home and try this out to see if it helps.

Somewhat a grave dig here, but I used the search button and found this. Maybe my bump will help people, I'll post if this works for me. Cars at 49k and I know the previous owner shifted at low rpm and didn't drive fast. He didn't say anything about it slipping though. (doesn't always happen to me either, and just in second)

Sent from my LGL86C using CobaltSS
I had a similar issue this morning. Car screaming in second and not going anywhere fast. I'm the second owner and the previous owner took very good care of the car. I'm guessing they also took very good care to not shift at high rpm often either. Going to do the 3k plus shifting for a while to see if it helps.

I forgot completely about this issue from owning my two previous Cobalts.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Bumping.

Is this an issue with the LSJ's and LNF's, or all does it also cover the 2.2's and 2.4's? Mines an LS, but I shift usually around 3k, but I don't really notice it slipping. If I have it in 3rd, and I'm around 2500-3000 and floor it, it pulls pretty good (as good as an L61 can ).

Also, would bleeding the clutch help with it not slipping, or at least firming up the pedal some?
Old 11-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Mine only slips under full boost, but will try it
Old 11-29-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bleading the clutch will firm up the peddle if air is present
Old 01-02-2015, 04:33 PM

131K and stge2 and still all original clutch. Always shift between 3k & 4k
Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Routs
I had a similar issue this morning. Car screaming in second and not going anywhere fast. I'm the second owner and the previous owner took very good care of the car. I'm guessing they also took very good care to not shift at high rpm often either. Going to do the 3k plus shifting for a while to see if it helps.

I forgot completely about this issue from owning my two previous Cobalts.
Just as a quick note to this, after changing my shift patterns over 3k all of my clutch issues went away. Not saying it won't need to be replaced at some point, but I didn't see any more issues throughout the rest of the season.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey guys, I installed GMPP clutch (had a small shop do it) got the car back to find leaking fluid the next day they must have missed, case was cracked (they missed that as well) forget the blame or why.

I replaced the trans with a used one from Jeff Nieland, saw the trail of fluid went around the clutch and my mechanic at the dealership said the clutch was not hit but he spray it down either way. (did not remove it from the car though)

Get the back, he came out and said he put 10 minutes on it and got on the highway with 50-75% accel and it slipped.

My first though is OBVIOUSLY shouldnt have boosted until the clutch broke in, and now im not 100% confident the clutch was dry .

So lets put this idea out there, say the clutch was dry and he romped on it and slipped in 2-3 times. Is a break in going to help or do you guys think its already glazed and im screwed?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
(How to) make your clutch stop slipping. Find out inside.

Originally Posted by breds2k
Hey guys, I installed GMPP clutch (had a small shop do it) got the car back to find leaking fluid the next day they must have missed, case was cracked (they missed that as well) forget the blame or why.

I replaced the trans with a used one from Jeff Nieland, saw the trail of fluid went around the clutch and my mechanic at the dealership said the clutch was not hit but he spray it down either way. (did not remove it from the car though)

Get the back, he came out and said he put 10 minutes on it and got on the highway with 50-75% accel and it slipped.

My first though is OBVIOUSLY shouldnt have boosted until the clutch broke in, and now im not 100% confident the clutch was dry .

So lets put this idea out there, say the clutch was dry and he romped on it and slipped in 2-3 times. Is a break in going to help or do you guys think its already glazed and im screwed?
Okay so there is a break in period for a clutch and I'm sure if you romp on it right off the bat then it's gonna be messed up because it won't wear right and will never make the correct contact. That's my opinion but you could always try it you only have 2 outcomes, either it keeps slipping and ***** up ooooooorrrrrrrrr it works fine.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so ive been following this thread, if I drive the car for 15-20 miles with 3500 shifting, I get NO slip! But like today got up on the highway right when I reached op temp and 3rd slipped right away. blah
Old 12-16-2016, 12:21 PM

This entire thread seems like a lot of conjecture and guessing, and very little actual science. A tiny bit of slipping between gears is not going to "glaze" your clutch; its designed to slip! I seriously doubt shifting at higher rpms somehow makes your clutch stronger. I would love to hear an actual explanation of how this helps from someone who knows what they are talking about.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ownedintheface1
This entire thread seems like a lot of conjecture and guessing, and very little actual science. A tiny bit of slipping between gears is not going to "glaze" your clutch; its designed to slip! I seriously doubt shifting at higher rpms somehow makes your clutch stronger. I would love to hear an actual explanation of how this helps from someone who knows what they are talking about.
This wasn't worth bumping an old thread. It's was obviously a **** show and no need to open it up again.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Im happy to read this thread. I searched it on google why the clutch may be slipping when drivin hard. This sounds exactly what may be the problem. I will admit it's my daily and I drive it like nana and shift it at low rpm also because the exhaust is zzp catless and the old girl is as loud as can be. Im gonna try and shift it at 3k or higher and see how it likes it. I know it's not the clutch seeing as how the clutch catches soon with the feel in the peddle.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Clutch issue

I'm having issues with going into to gear, I bought the car privately and it has a stage 2 clutch that has 10k on it. When the car is off I push the clutch in and it rolls through the gears just fine, I start it and it barely goes in and when I put it in the car sometimes moves just like a little jump, then I release it then put the clutch pedal back in it rolls just a little like it's slipping. Should I start with a transmission flush and slave cylinder? Or what? I'm new to the cobalt world I need help! It's my only car
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
You may try bleeding the clutch to make sure it doesn't have any air in it. Was the flywheel replaced along with the clutch 10k miles ago?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:57 AM

The flywheel was replaced along with the clutch and i need to figure out how to bleed it without the vacuum
Old 03-14-2020, 08:56 AM

I have a Cobalt LS. This isn't just for the SS. He's correct.