08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Annoying story i guess.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying story i guess.

so i got my mpx exhaust and installed it today. works wonderful. went for a test drive and boosted it hard and my Ic piping blew off from the intercooler. so i fix it after the test drive. go back on another one and it comes off in the middle section!! WTF right? i have dejon by the way. Anywho, after i fix that bullshit i take it for another drive and it sounds like a weird whistling noise. Pulled back in my garage and everything is tight, i dont know what the hell it could be. im afraid to boost it again but i guess the only way to finger it all out is by doing so. So i did boost the **** out of it. I beat the hell outta the car. Everything is fine but that weird ass noise is still there. Is anyone having the same issue with the same setup i have? What could it be?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intercooler leak? Look to see if the IC bulged out anywhere. Maybe you don't have all the CP clamps on right since they popped off. Does it only whistle under boost?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Intercooler leak? Look to see if the IC bulged out anywhere. Maybe you don't have all the CP clamps on right since they popped off. Does it only whistle under boost?
ya only under boost it whistles. everything is on tight and correct.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:09 PM

def a CP leak if its a whistle under boost. I had one when I first installed my dejon CP. Just go through and reseat all the couplers and clamps and if u want spray some hair spray on the chargepipe and it will hold better too.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I 100% guarantee that you cracked your Intercooler tank. It will be a crack running left to right on the front side of your coldside tank, if you blew the coldside piping off. It will me had to see because of the bumper cover, but it's there............trust me. When you blow the coldside pipe, the pressure forces the intercooler forward and the tank cracks below the bracket stresspoint. If you boost over 5lbs, your car will throw a code and go into limp mode. Gear yourself up to spend about $600. Sorry dude.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
I 100% guarantee that you cracked your Intercooler tank. It will be a crack running left to right on the front side of your coldside tank, if you blew the coldside piping off. It will me had to see because of the bumper cover, but it's there............trust me. When you blow the coldside pipe, the pressure forces the intercooler forward and the tank cracks below the bracket stresspoint. If you boost over 5lbs, your car will throw a code and go into limp mode. Gear yourself up to spend about $600. Sorry dude.
its not the coldside. its part of the hot side that connnects to the intercooler. i was thinking the same thing, that i cracked my intercooler. but the shitty thing is i can only tell if i take it off. and i really dont wanna do that.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
have someone in the car rev a tiny bit and be in the engine bay to listen where the whistle/leak is coming from.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a boost leak tester yet? Just hook it up to ur intake, charge the pipes with your normal boost pressure when the car is running and track it down.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SSturb
its not the coldside. its part of the hot side that connnects to the intercooler. i was thinking the same thing, that i cracked my intercooler. but the shitty thing is i can only tell if i take it off. and i really dont wanna do that.
You don't have to remove the bumper to tell. You should be able to feel it. It will be on the front side of the tank, the side that faced the bumper. Just run your fingers up and down the tank. You'll feel the crack. Then you'll have to take your bumper off anyway to install the Synapse intercooler that you just paid $550 bucks for.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
You don't have to remove the bumper to tell. You should be able to feel it. It will be on the front side of the tank, the side that faced the bumper. Just run your fingers up and down the tank. You'll feel the crack. Then you'll have to take your bumper off anyway to install the Synapse intercooler that you just paid $550 bucks for.
checked the intercooler, no crack that i could feel, and its not warped or anything. so im hoping it might be a loose coupler or something other easy fix. im getting under the car to check this weekend. im still a little skeptical but you never know.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Don't those come with the crappy t-bolt clamps or the worm clamps? I know i've heard of people installing their CP and it being cheap t-bolts and having tons of probs with them.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxon
Don't those come with the crappy t-bolt clamps or the worm clamps? I know i've heard of people installing their CP and it being cheap t-bolts and having tons of probs with them.
well it came with shitty worm clamps, but i bought aftermarket couplers and t-bolts from summit.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxon
?? maybe you made a typo but I've never heard of any issues with t-bolt clamps but you will most certainly hear horror stories with guys blowing off charge pipes when they use worm drive clamps.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 PM

I've seen some horrible cheap aftermarket wanna be t-bolt clamps, mostly on ebay lol.

Originally Posted by Terminator2
I think I have a leak at the TB becasue the T-bolt clamps clearimage sent me are junk and they kink and bend as you tighten them. The TB one is kinked pretty bad.
This is what I was thinking... IDK if its only theirs but badbalt that BYT just tuned had some of the same clamps IIRC from hahn.

Last edited by Jaxon; 04-05-2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the Dejon hot and cold pipes with the Crazy Steves Intercooler. Make sure you use the T Bolt clamps with their premo couplers. Ive had no problem with mine at all. Boosting 26 PSI on the tune.