08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

intake valve pics 47K ....seafoamed every4-5K

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
When my "new" Sedan arrives on Monday, I plan to utilize the new aerosole seafoam and see how it works.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Man
When my "new" Sedan arrives on Monday, I plan to utilize the new aerosole seafoam and see how it works.
If you do, keep in mind it's not meant to be used on a running engine. With it being an aerosole spray, there's a very likely chance that it uses compressed co2. If that's the case you do NOT want to be spraying that in the engine with it running. I would personally just stick with the regular non-aerosole seafoam unless you plan on using it to blast the intake valves with the intake mani off..
Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey OP you in Buff? I go to school out there! Also about to seafoam my car, didn't know I shouldn't use the aerosole can with the engine on. Could I just dump it into a can and suck it in the engine that way?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by noorjariri
Hey OP you in Buff? I go to school out there! Also about to seafoam my car, didn't know I shouldn't use the aerosole can with the engine on. Could I just dump it into a can and suck it in the engine that way?
Yep. Using engine vacuum to pull it into the engine is basically the tried and true method of using it. The aerosole can seems like it would be easier (and in principle it really is) BUT the fact that it's most likely compressed co2 just makes it a bad idea.

I actually just pulled a can of it off of the shelf and even the instructions specify to turn the engine off while spraying it, so i would have to think that my assumption of it being compressed co2 is most likely correct.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
I did it a few months ago in the injectors but I got no smoke at all. I put about 1/3 in a cup and sucked it in while having my wife rev the engine. waited about 10 minutes then started her up and drove it around. I got nothin
Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
If you do, keep in mind it's not meant to be used on a running engine. With it being an aerosole spray, there's a very likely chance that it uses compressed co2. If that's the case you do NOT want to be spraying that in the engine with it running. I would personally just stick with the regular non-aerosole seafoam unless you plan on using it to blast the intake valves with the intake mani off..
Yep. Using engine vacuum to pull it into the engine is basically the tried and true method of using it. The aerosole can seems like it would be easier (and in principle it really is) BUT the fact that it's most likely compressed co2 just makes it a bad idea.

I actually just pulled a can of it off of the shelf and even the instructions specify to turn the engine off while spraying it, so i would have to think that my assumption of it being compressed co2 is most likely correct.

I think you may be looking at the wrong product rather than what I'm referring to:

Seafoam Motor Treatment and Introducing NEW Seafoam Spray - YouTube

They're clearly spraying into a running motor with their new aerosol spray.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think you may be looking at the wrong product rather than what I'm referring to:

Seafoam Motor Treatment and Introducing NEW Seafoam Spray - YouTube

They're clearly spraying into a running motor with their new aerosol spray.
Nope, that's the same stuff. I'm still not crazy about spraying compressed co2 into the engine though (assuming that's what they're using to make it an aerosole of course), but that's just me..
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Nope, that's the same stuff. I'm still not crazy about spraying compressed co2 into the engine though (assuming that's what they're using to make it an aerosole of course), but that's just me..
Wish me luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wish me luck!
lol....

So are you going to hook it onto the throttle body or blast it directly into the manifold through a vacuum port?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM

lol....

So are you going to hook it onto the throttle body or blast it directly into the manifold through a vacuum port?
vacuum port on the top/front side of the IM
Old 08-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Found one of the other pic's I took ....

Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Nice man!!

I checked my intake valves when I installed my dual pass last winter.

They were spotless as well.

Although, I never use seafoam. Just 93 & race gas from time to time
Must be nice to have an LSJ!!!! How you been ??...... Keeping the place in line I see hehe. How the H62 doin?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rukkee: What is your driving style? Is it mainly stop/go or is it mostly highway? How high is your RPM normally during shifts/cruising?

I just ran half a pint of Seafoam through my 09 SS/TC, which is all factory stock. There was quite a bit of smoke, a LOT more than I've seen when I first used seafoam through my 81 T-bird (which was over 24 years old at the time).

However, I have my doubts about Seafoam doing the cleaning on the intake valves. There just isn't enough dwell time for the seafoam to break down that carbon. I think most of the smoking action is from the seafoam sitting in the combustion chambers and going out through the catalytic converters. The residual smoking (after a hard run) seems to be just the remaining seafoam in the exhaust pipes.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Rukkee: What is your driving style? Is it mainly stop/go or is it mostly highway? How high is your RPM normally during shifts/cruising?

I just ran half a pint of Seafoam through my 09 SS/TC, which is all factory stock. There was quite a bit of smoke, a LOT more than I've seen when I first used seafoam through my 81 T-bird (which was over 24 years old at the time).

However, I have my doubts about Seafoam doing the cleaning on the intake valves. There just isn't enough dwell time for the seafoam to break down that carbon. I think most of the smoking action is from the seafoam sitting in the combustion chambers and going out through the catalytic converters. The residual smoking (after a hard run) seems to be just the remaining seafoam in the exhaust pipes.
I would say aggressive driver ...... every time i drive it I get a decent 2nd gear pull out of her. I live in the country so some stop and go but not much .

when I seafoam I will let it sit for 15-20 minutes before i fire it up ......and it smokes real bad for 3-5miles each time . Its a little embarrassing when i do it and drive by my neighbors otw out of town lol. I don't have cats but im sure the inside of the exhaust piping is enough carbon to make the smoke show .

ONE thing i recommend is to have someone in the car to shut it off while your still ingesting the seafoam........If you have to run for the key then you dont get as much seafoam to stay up on the valves ......most is prolly in the chamber by then .

I dont rev my car alot ..... usually 3K max for most driving ... and when i do get on it im shifting at 5500...... it falls off enough up there to where i usually shift ( unless a race pops up of we make it to the track ....then ill shift at 6K)
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM

I hope my valves look like that when I get to that mileage. I did that on my car at 25k and did not get much smoke. It was definitely noticeable, but not very.

I went and did my Dad's Nissan Juke with 18k miles right afterwards, which is also turbo and DI, and got unbelievable amounts of smoke. I couldn't see anything out of the rearview mirror for about the first half a mile, and it still had noticeable smoke after about 15 minutes.

I did the same procedure on both. My Dad babies his car with slow acceleration and always aiming for best mpg. I am known to enjoy the acceleration of my car, but I do a lot more highway miles than he does. I'm not sure what exactly makes the difference.

I also did see a noticeable improvement in mileage on each car. My average mpg monitor on the dash went up about 1 mpg, while his went up about 2 mpg. He keeps logs of his gas mileage and has a visual display of the gas mileage per day over the last week in the car, and both of those agreed with about a 2 mpg difference.

EDIT: One more thing to note, I work at a Nissan dealership and our techs use an aerosol product to do what we call an 'EFI' on the Jukes that has a similar result. They use it with the engine running with no problems.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What product do they use at the dealership, and how often do they use it on the cars with DI engines?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 PM

This: MOC Products - Preview Information

And this: MOC Products - Preview Information

I'll double check at work tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure they start with the first, then do the second.

And they recommend every 15k miles, same as my Chevy dealership recommended for my car.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by rukkee
Must be nice to have an LSJ!!!! How you been ??...... Keeping the place in line I see hehe. How the H62 doin?

I'm trying....

I'm good man!! Nice to see you're still around. The H62 is still putting a smile on my face.