08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Need help deciding what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help deciding what to do next

I was wondering what I should do as my next upgrade. I already have the GM stage 1 upgrade and now was wondering what to do next. I thinking about the Dejon SRI, Dejon intercooler piping, and hahn downpipe and catback exhaust. My question is about if I want to get a BOV, how should i go about doing this? I know that you can buy the intercooler piping with the BOV flange, but I am not really sure how this works. Also I was wondering I get all of these things done do I need to get it re-tuned or is the tune still fine? I also want to lower my car and I was wondering what lowering springs are good to get and what is a reasonable amount to lower my car?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM

Go with ZZP's catless dp, ZZP's upper & Lower CP and then get their Intercooler when it comes out in July

You cant go wrong getting those 2 things, and then I would also get a Hahn CAI or the K&N one thats up to you
Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM

downpipe then trifecta tune
Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bamadan
I was wondering what I should do as my next upgrade. I already have the GM stage 1 upgrade and now was wondering what to do next. I thinking about the Dejon SRI, Dejon intercooler piping, and hahn downpipe and catback exhaust. My question is about if I want to get a BOV, how should i go about doing this? I know that you can buy the intercooler piping with the BOV flange, but I am not really sure how this works. Also I was wondering I get all of these things done do I need to get it re-tuned or is the tune still fine? I also want to lower my car and I was wondering what lowering springs are good to get and what is a reasonable amount to lower my car?
Im curious, and in no way want to offend you, but I assume you got S1 because you wanted to keep your warranty, but you also want to mod more, possibly voiding your warranty, including a tune on top of S1.
If you where going to tune on top of S1 anyways, why drop the money on S1 in the first place?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

Downpipe and exhaust will keep your warranty. But intake and charge pipes will be hit or miss with your dealer. They may try to pin any future problems on them. An aftermarket tune will deff void your warranty unless you can completely flash your car back to stock before you take it in. BOV? Please no unless your going aftermarket turbo.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by stevessvt
Im curious, and in no way want to offend you, but I assume you got S1 because you wanted to keep your warranty, but you also want to mod more, possibly voiding your warranty, including a tune on top of S1.
If you where going to tune on top of S1 anyways, why drop the money on S1 in the first place?
Well when I got the S1 I didnt really want to keep modding my car, but I recently got the urge to keep modding my car so... I really dont want to get another tune, but I dont think that any of the mods will do anything if it dont get another tune. I mean I am really not sure though.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stevessvt
because if you are hpt you kind of need the sensors...now a good point here is that the OP may want to tune later down the road after getting a taste of mods or after warranty is up.

Downpipe for sure.

I got injen charge piping with upgraded couplers and tbolt clamps, hahn catted downpipe and a k&n drop in. You could get a intake if you want as well, the new k&n seems decent and theres another sri suppose to be out this summer. I havent decided on a intercooler yet as mpx and zzp havent really released theirs yet. I wanted to see more results from people running those.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Well when I got the S1 I didnt really want to keep modding my car, but I recently got the urge to keep modding my car so... I really dont want to get another tune, but I dont think that any of the mods will do anything if it dont get another tune. I mean I am really not sure though.
Ahhhhh.......I see.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

I agree, go with withe Dejon SRI/Charge piping (thats my plan also), but go with ZZP's Catless DP and MPX's exhaust (Best sounding IMO).

As far a BOV goes please don't. There is no point in release to atmosphere unless your pushing the boost to need it, and on the stock turbo your not.

However if you must then you'll need to simply order your intake and charge pipes with the flanges needed and bolt it up, be sure to get a recirculation tube because without it your going to throw codes with the LNF.

Yes you will need to get retuned because GMS1 is a new tune but it still includes the learndown feature and still holds the car at the new HP/TQ rating.

As far as lowering goes it depends on where you live. I myself can't decide if its safe or not here because WV's roads are so shitty, but Eibach Sportlines are always a reasonable choice.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by They Call Me Godly
I agree, go with withe Dejon SRI/Charge piping (thats my plan also), but go with ZZP's Catless DP and MPX's exhaust (Best sounding IMO).

As far a BOV goes please don't. There is no point in release to atmosphere unless your pushing the boost to need it, and on the stock turbo your not.

However if you must then you'll need to simply order your intake and charge pipes with the flanges needed and bolt it up, be sure to get a recirculation tube because without it your going to throw codes with the LNF.

Yes you will need to get retuned because GMS1 is a new tune but it still includes the learndown feature and still holds the car at the new HP/TQ rating.

As far as lowering goes it depends on where you live. I myself can't decide if its safe or not here because WV's roads are so shitty, but Eibach Sportlines are always a reasonable choice.
That is a discussion on its own..... From the mouth of the engineer it takes the commanded 260/260 away.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by northvibe
That is a discussion on its own..... From the mouth of the engineer it takes the commanded 260/260 away.
This is true, but when I was debating getting GMS1 I asked at the dealer ship and the man said "as far as I know it takes away the stock learndown and replaces it with a new HP/TQ rating"

So who knows... lol
Old 05-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told the LNF computer operates on a principle of airload. It asks for a certain air load (in stock for this = 260wtq) and does whatever it needs to reach that load. The new stage tune simply changes the load tables, so the car adjusts to meet them. It still has the "learndown" feature because it is still only trying to meet a certain performance cap.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1fbody
I was told the LNF computer operates on a principle of airload. It asks for a certain air load (in stock for this = 260wtq) and does whatever it needs to reach that load. The new stage tune simply changes the load tables, so the car adjusts to meet them. It still has the "learndown" feature because it is still only trying to meet a certain performance cap.
bingo
Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM

ya thats what I was trying to spit out. forgot what spec it was trying to hit...airload euw...sounds like something dirty :P
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM

GM planning on coming out with a stage 2?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 AM

So if I was to get a exhaust and downpipe I would need to re-tune my car?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LiveT
GM planning on coming out with a stage 2?
Nope
Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 AM

So I would still see gains from the exhaust and downpipe?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

hit the nail on the head. not bad for an lsj guy lol