08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Picked up a 2009 LNF Cobalt, couple transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up a 2009 LNF Cobalt, couple transmission questions

Car has the F35 transmission with a stage 4 clutch, not sure on which one and an OTTP short shifter. The clutch is really hard to push, has harsh engagement and hard to get into gear without killing it. I did purchase the GMPP upgrade clutch to install which will hopefully help. It is also really clunky to shift the gears, would going back to the stock shifter instead of the OTTP short shifter help with the shifting?
Old 08-29-2023, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Describe the clunk? Is it felt in the shifter or the whole car? Could easily be separated control arm bushings causing the clunk and movement in the suspension. Do you ever hear any clunk or creaks at low speed going over bumps in the front end? You can look at the oem cabs and they will separate...terrible design. Ottp, Powell or moog k201285 will take care of this issues and save you from constantly changing the oem bushings
Old 08-29-2023, 09:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The f35 is loud and I think you are on the right path with a gmpp clutch.

The stiffer ACT clutch that was in my lsj caused more issues than it fixed. It killed the slave cylinder, broke the master cylinder retaining plate in the firewall, glazed over the friction plate after 40k miles. This was all on a stock car.

As for the clunks, I would shift gears with the car off, if the clunks sound the same, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it is amplified or sounds different running, then I would worry alittle. That was always my half assey gauge with my lsj.

I think the main thing with these cars is having another car if the cobalt breaks down lol
Old 08-30-2023, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I think the GMPP upgrade clutch will hopefully take care of the clutch issues with the stiff pedal and harsh engagement, gonna be installing it soon. As for the shifting, I meant it is clunky (like not smooth) not an actual clunk sound. Seems a little harder than normal and not smooth to shift into the different gears than other manual transmissions I have driven. Feels the same with it running or not running. Maybe that's just how the F35 feels, I have no reference since i have never driven one before. Was just concerned that maybe something was causing it like the short shifter or maybe bad shift cables or something.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rippin686
Thanks for the responses guys. I think the GMPP upgrade clutch will hopefully take care of the clutch issues with the stiff pedal and harsh engagement, gonna be installing it soon. As for the shifting, I meant it is clunky (like not smooth) not an actual clunk sound. Seems a little harder than normal and not smooth to shift into the different gears than other manual transmissions I have driven. Feels the same with it running or not running. Maybe that's just how the F35 feels, I have no reference since i have never driven one before. Was just concerned that maybe something was causing it like the short shifter or maybe bad shift cables or something.
compared to a Honda civic or Toyota corolla yes. It should feel direct but not smooth in comparison. If you want to talk clunky shifter from factory try a 1st gen Toyota matrix xrs 😂 thee worst shifter ever for clunkyness. I even went solid bushing and it helped but holy hell! And don't even get me started on engaging reverse. It felt like you were breaking the shifter everytime being a 6 speed upper left reverse pattern.