08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Service Department to me - "LOL PADS NOT FOUND"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Department to me - "LOL PADS NOT FOUND"

So I like many folks here have been cursed wtih the rear brake issue. So I went to the dealer and they decided that my rear rotors and pads needing replacing.

They told me that they have ordered the parts and would be calling me when they came in. Fast forward a couple days later, and I get the phone call saying that the pads have not arrived yet. I kinda lnew that phone call was coming, considering the statements on this forum about GM not even making the spare pads yet.

I told them about the Solstice GXP pads, to which I don't think they paid much concern. However they did tell me that they would be putting me in a rental starting monday morning due to "the safety issues" of not having rear brakes. (Why I'm not being placed into a rental today completely puzzles me but thats beside the point)

What I'm wondering is "When exactly am I going to see these pads, considering GM hasn't even mass produced them yet?!?" I feel like I'm going to be in a rental for an extended period of time, which is not exactly a great outcome for me.

The only upside here is that the problem is getting resolved, but just not as soon as I would have hoped.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by inneedofboost
So I like many folks here have been cursed wtih the rear brake issue. So I went to the dealer and they decided that my rear rotors and pads needing replacing.

They told me that they have ordered the parts and would be calling me when they came in. Fast forward a couple days later, and I get the phone call saying that the pads have not arrived yet. I kinda lnew that phone call was coming, considering the statements on this forum about GM not even making the spare pads yet.

I told them about the Solstice GXP pads, to which I don't think they paid much concern. However they did tell me that they would be putting me in a rental starting monday morning due to "the safety issues" of not having rear brakes. (Why I'm not being placed into a rental today completely puzzles me but thats beside the point)

What I'm wondering is "When exactly am I going to see these pads, considering GM hasn't even mass produced them yet?!?" I feel like I'm going to be in a rental for an extended period of time, which is not exactly a great outcome for me.

The only upside here is that the problem is getting resolved, but just not as soon as I would have hoped.

EBC has front and rear rotors for the ss/tc(not updated on their PDF file within their site yet) as well Hawk has rear pads released.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Any rear pad that fits the Solstice, will fit the SS/TC.

I dont know if EBC makes rotors for the SS/TC, but Brembo appears to, the rears should be PN:25814

If your rotors are worn on the inside only, its not a pad issue, there is another underlying cause. they need to find it, or youll be back. Tell them a rental is unnacceptable and you want it fixed with comparable parts immediately.

Last edited by Maven; 12-20-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-19-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
Tell them a rental is unnacceptable and you want it fixed with comparable parts immediately.
Good luck. They can't just pull parts out of thin air.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Koz!
Good luck. They can't just pull parts out of thin air.
No, not thin air, I posted the source, you chose no to quote it .
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 PM

those ebc rotors are too small for the t/c. the rears are 11.5 while the EBC rear rotors are 10.6
Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by usnsdoc
those ebc rotors are too small for the t/c. the rears are 11.5 while the EBC rear rotors are 10.6
Dont know about that. I didnt post anything about EBC products, just Brembo. And the general Solstice pads
Old 12-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by usnsdoc
hmmmm i hadn't checked into it that far yet

Any rear pad that fits the Solstice, will fit the SS/TC.

I dont know if EBC makes rotors for the SS/TC, but Brembo does, the rears are PN:25814

If your rotors are worn on the inside only, its not a pad issue, there is another underlying cause. they need to find it, or youll be back. Tell them a rental is unnacceptable and you want it fixed with comparable parts immediately.
see, i knew there was no way in hell we were all entirely fuked right now, good post, maybe u can PM an admin and make a sticky post with that info?? That'd be EXTREMELY useful in keeping the "brake problem" threads to an all time low since EVERYONE is making them now grrrrrrr

Last edited by 1WhiteSSTC; 12-19-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 AM

I dont have admin connections

I put the info out there until I get tired of repeating it, then people either need to search, or they are boned
Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 PM

No, not thin air, I posted the source, you chose no to quote it .
oops! I saw you mention the EBC pads, but read right over you mentioning the Brembo pads. I don't think a dealership would put aftermarket parts on a car for warranty issues; but maybe the Brembo pads are the same as the OEM ones? I kinda doubt it, but I think it's more believable.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 PM

First of all thanks for all the replies everyone.

I DO HAVe a rental now. It's a 2008 Focus (In bright Lipstick Red bleech!) and I am under the impression that I will have this car for a good deal of time. The dealer informed me that GM was shipping them the entire rear end assembly, at which point they are to take off all the relevant parts they need and ship the rest of the rear end back to GM?

I'm not entirely clear with what that all means, but I will be making a phone call on Monday to speak with the service advisors in greater detail. I'm upset that I don't have my car, but that is not a reflection on the dealer...but rather GM for letting an issue such as this come to fruition in the first place. The dealer on the other hand has been nothing but top class throughout this whole ordeal...and would recommend them to anyone!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inneedofboost
First of all thanks for all the replies everyone.

I DO HAVe a rental now. It's a 2008 Focus (In bright Lipstick Red bleech!) and I am under the impression that I will have this car for a good deal of time. The dealer informed me that GM was shipping them the entire rear end assembly, at which point they are to take off all the relevant parts they need and ship the rest of the rear end back to GM?

I'm not entirely clear with what that all means, but I will be making a phone call on Monday to speak with the service advisors in greater detail. I'm upset that I don't have my car, but that is not a reflection on the dealer...but rather GM for letting an issue such as this come to fruition in the first place. The dealer on the other hand has been nothing but top class throughout this whole ordeal...and would recommend them to anyone!
Well, we can knock rentals in general... But sure it nice to have one if your SS has to be off the road!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 PM

i kno wht u do.

u drive the rental like u stole it =)
Old 12-20-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Koz!
oops! I saw you mention the EBC pads, but read right over you mentioning the Brembo pads. I don't think a dealership would put aftermarket parts on a car for warranty issues; but maybe the Brembo pads are the same as the OEM ones? I kinda doubt it, but I think it's more believable.
In emergencies and times when parts arent going to be available for extended periods of time(i think its more than 10 days) dealers are allowed to use any available part that is deemed to meet or exceed OE quailty.