2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

2010 Cobalt SS/TC Stage 1 test drive!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidcroft
where the **** is the GM reflash?
look back one page and calm down
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
When we talked to Bill about installing the kit the Gm tech will have a certain way to install the sensors so that they done corrode or screw up. The wires are different colors and if your not a tech I recommend you not installing them. Unless you want to say goodbye to the warranty, which is why we all want a GM stage kit right?
So what's so special about the way they install this? I have a friend who does electronic board soldering for his job and I trust him way more with these connections than a GM tech...but I am rather curious about this special method that's any different than somebody who does know what they are doing that can install it.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jar Jar
So what's so special about the way they install this? I have a friend who does electronic board soldering for his job and I trust him way more with these connections than a GM tech...but I am rather curious about this special method that's any different than somebody who does know what they are doing that can install it.
They use some sort of gel and special crimps to do it. The wires are not the normal gm colors from what I understand. They will tape them up and and use something to melt the tape some what to make it look professional. If these things are done the wires should never corrode and then there is the case of wiring it wrong and screwing up the sensors.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The connectors in the kit are all one color. White. There are only three wires on the car and they're all different colors dependant on the car line and model. So unless you want to open one of the bundles on the car to find out what the colors are now you won't know for sure till you, or somebody, installs the kit. It really isn't that difficult but you better make sure you hook the right wire to the right wire. Example is the HHR production wire colors ( on the car) are Gray, Orange/Black and Light Green. On the Solstice/ Sky the colors ae Gray, Tan and Light Green. You will have to make sure which direction you're looking at the plug and socket and count pins. If you don't like crimp splices ( I already threw mine out) there are other ways to get a good splice both electrically and cosmetically. I personally am going to use a shrink/solder splice that will solder the two wires, melt a sealant and then shrink the whole thing squishing the sealant all around the splice giving you a perfect, hermetically sealed splice that will still be good when the crush the car.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 PM

I think I may order my hard parts this week....I dont see the point in waiting, I think $550 is going to be the best price anyways. I just need to check and see if I can buy it from the dealer through the shop I work at....if I can it may be cheaper. If not Ill be going to CED.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
The connectors in the kit are all one color. White. There are only three wires on the car and they're all different colors dependant on the car line and model. So unless you want to open one of the bundles on the car to find out what the colors are now you won't know for sure till you, or somebody, installs the kit. It really isn't that difficult but you better make sure you hook the right wire to the right wire. Example is the HHR production wire colors ( on the car) are Gray, Orange/Black and Light Green. On the Solstice/ Sky the colors ae Gray, Tan and Light Green. You will have to make sure which direction you're looking at the plug and socket and count pins. If you don't like crimp splices ( I already threw mine out) there are other ways to get a good splice both electrically and cosmetically. I personally am going to use a shrink/solder splice that will solder the two wires, melt a sealant and then shrink the whole thing squishing the sealant all around the splice giving you a perfect, hermetically sealed splice that will still be good when the crush the car.

Good luck.
is there instructions on how to install this on the net somewhere or ones that come with the hard parts when you order?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 PM

is there instructions on how to install this on the net somewhere or ones that come with the hard parts when you order?
The instructions come with the kit. but like I said we won't know the wire colors till we get the instructions that go with the Cobalt specifically.

Tom at CED had a BUNCH of kits on hand a week or ten days ago but I bet they're going fast. He gets $550. + shipping.

I guess I should add the new connectors have FOUR white wires and the car has only THREE colored wires so it has to be wired "pin for pin" and you'll have one left over which you can wrap into the harness. You just have to make sure when you start matching the wires you're looking at the connectors you're looking at the right end and count from one end. If I remember right the ipns on the new pig tails have pin numbers on them. I don't feel like opening the box again.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up Stage 1 Experience Statistics

I just thought you might want to here about the statistics of my weekend.

600 miles on the Red Cobalt SS Stage 1.

Boost levels to 23 psi

Scary Speeds

Way to many to count - WOT Accelerations

At Least a dozen NLS accelerations

Started in Grand Blanc Michigan Friday Morning. I had stops in:

Lansing
Royal Oak
Auburn Hills
Madison Heights
Grosse Pointe Woods
Clinton Township
Livonia
Warren
(Not necessarily in that order)

10 People were able to Drive and or Ride (their choice). All very nice people with awsome cars! It was a pleasure meeting you!

Only one wanted to do a test drive with traction control turned off.

6 different People have already posted their experience.

Thanks to all of the participants! Your comments are being collected and will probably end up in an article posted on GMTunersource.com soon about the experience.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP

Boost levels to 23 psi

Scary Speeds

Lansing
Royal Oak
Auburn Hills
Madison Heights
Grosse Pointe Woods
Clinton Township
Livonia
Warren

10 People were able to Drive and or Ride (their choice). All very nice people with awsome cars! It was a pleasure meeting you!

Thanks to all of the participants! Your comments are being collected and will probably end up in an article posted on GMTunersource.com soon about the experience.
Awesome! Thanks for the information Bill. I have a question that I haven't seen asked, probably because it's really NOT that important....anywho...is there going to be any Stage 1 kit badge like the LSJ's got? Or was that something people were buying on their own?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by More_Torque_More_HP

Boost levels to 23 psi

Scary Speeds

Lansing
Royal Oak
Auburn Hills
Madison Heights
Grosse Pointe Woods
Clinton Township
Livonia
Warren

Thanks for everything you have done Bill, hopefully it sparks more intrest with the T/C people. Feel free to post up with any future upgrades and once again thanks!
-Nate
Old 08-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 80vetteL82
Awesome! Thanks for the information Bill. I have a question that I haven't seen asked, probably because it's really NOT that important....anywho...is there going to be any Stage 1 kit badge like the LSJ's got? Or was that something people were buying on their own?

The stage badges were bought else where. I have a Stage 2 badge at my desk that I bought on ebay a few years ago.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Sweet thanks again Bill. It was a pleasure meeting you. Its awesome GM allowed a brand new car with the stage kit to be test driven by some of those who are patiently waiting for the kit!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Installation Instructions

A quick search netted this:

This is for the others, but it will be very similar if not identical.

Page with specs and warranty information.
Installation instructions.

Link to Crate Engine Depot's page for the kit.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM

I'll admit I've been driving a stage one upgrade car for two weeks now. Yes I am a GM engineer. I had the opportunity to take the car to milan two days before the woodward cruise. We ran the same event last year and it was an invitational from someone I know who owns a corvette restoration shop. The track is not meticulously prepared and the weather was hot. 84F and 80% Humidity so the air was awfull. Last year I ran the car bone stock with the exception of a CAI of my own design. I ran a best of 13.97 with a 2.20 60 FT. Trust me I launched it 16 ways to sunday and that is the best 60 I could get on conti's with no suspension work. This year I ran the car and went a best of 13.67 with a 2.15 60 ft. I also used the stock airbox with the snorkle removed and a 3 inch intake tube between the turbo and the air box (similar to what the ZZP guys run)
This year the car tended to spin the tires slightly in second which I think also hurt the et a bit but I've driven enough fast cars to know with a set of slicks, a down pipe and air bags in the rear springs the thing will run a low 13 high 12 with those small mods at the track.
NLS works even better and it spikes 23 and holds 22 all the way down the track. I found myself getting into fourth gear before the end of the quarter this time instead of 20 feet before the lights like stock.

An interesting story: The folks from Lingenfelter were there and they had some rocket SRT Jeeps that ran 12's and a twin turbo 800 HP Z06 there. (The point is you would think they would not be easily impressed, its lingenfelter for cryin out loud) However I lined up next to one of their Jeeps and tree'd the guy pretty well out of the hole. He caught me and passed me and on we went into the pits. On a later pass I lined up next to a resto 427 67 vette and that guy got smoked. So I'm in the pits fooling with the front tire pressure on the car and this guy in a white Lingenfelter shirt walks by. He gets about 50 feet away from me and the car and makes an about face and returns. Out of his mouth comes this statement, "Please tell me that thing ain't stock, its way to fast to be stock what have you done to it." Which I replied "Nothing much just a cal change and an intake pipe." His mouth fell open and he began to shake his head as he turned a 180 and walked off still shaking his head. I really didn't know what to make of it but apparently the car got his attention.

On the drive home I logged the highway fuel mileage to compare to my previous average and the car logged 33 MPG VS 30 MPG over a one hour freeway drive.

The factory cal is comming but I don't know any more than Bill would about the exact date. If you happen to see me around town and want to check out a car flag me down. My car is Sport tint red with a low wing and you can identify it because it has a turbo (lettering) emblem off of a solstice on the back of it in place of the stock turbocharged emblem.

Bill and the cal guys have made an excellent driveable package for the everyday driver. If your a track freak then an aftermarket tune might give you much more. However on the street my car is at the limit of adhesion in first and second and anymore than that on the street isn't going to make it any faster untill I get it in third and by the time you get there on the street your either winning or its already game over.

Please don't ask me for the cal or to help get it in advance. I don't have it and couldn't provide it if I did.

Last edited by Gettinausernamesucks; 08-23-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM

^ Great post. Is the Solstice turbo badge going to be the stock one for 2010's, or is that just on your car?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 PM

The badge won't change for 2010. When I bought my car I was perturbed it looked just like the supercharged badge and to small to tell the difference so I went to the Saturn dealer and bought one for a SKY Redline and changed it. Its block lettering and is close enough to the cobalt block lettering it looks like it should be that way.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM

Thats an awsome post. Too bad i live in Oklahoma.

Speaking of slicks .. anyone have any proven wheel/slick set ups?

Last edited by Kildore; 08-23-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM

ZZP switch out the brembos for ss/sc brakes and put 16s on I believe!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:21 PM

LOL! Nice... That will happen another day. For now, I want to keep the Brembo's on. I may look into the MT Dr's. I think thats what Hahn is running untill them.

I only ran a 14.2, but it was about 110 F outside. LOL... so when it cools i should be doing great. I hope. Would be so dissapointing.

Last edited by Kildore; 08-23-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-23-2009, 11:23 PM

Yeah what mods do you have? stock?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Yes.. stock.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 PM

You getting the stage kit then?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Yea of course.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 PM

You wont be disappointed! I think its well worth it. The boost builds a lot faster then stock!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Fantastic! I've been following the threads here and at GMTS. Been very excited about this. From day one of needing a new car. The cobalt was #1 on my list. Could have got a new WRX.. but was just in love with the SS/TC. Also, was told about the stage kit at the dealership in Feb. of this year. I have been very ready for this gift.

Quick Reply: 2010 Cobalt SS/TC Stage 1 test drive!