2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Craziest boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craziest boost leak?

So, just figured since boost leaks seem to cause 98% of the problems that you can have with a cobalt SS/TC I just figured I'd start a thread of the craziest problems a boost leak has ever caused for you? OK GO!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blew up my S252et. Do I win?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by startingline05
Blew up my S252et. Do I win?
Dang man, gotta save that for last. I think you just killed the whole competition lol.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM

You think the Cobalt is bad?! SRT-4. . . .
Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM

SRT4's are the worse known cars out there for having boost leaks by a long shot. I swear everytime one comes to the meets the first thing they say when you ask them what it can do is, "Well it has a boost leak right now but..."
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by startingline05
SRT4's are the worse known cars out there for having boost leaks by a long shot. I swear everytime one comes to the meets the first thing they say when you ask them what it can do is, "Well it has a boost leak right now but..."
I just sold mine not too long ago, lol. Boost leak city. I swear I'd fix one; then, out of nowhere, it would move to another location.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a leak once that caused a massive sudden fuel trim skew that then caused crazy KR readings. This was followed by the turbo going out about not long after, so I'm not sure if it was just the boost leak or the large leak that also caused the turbo to go due to overspinning it to stay at that boost level or something.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM

well... since he won the worst thing that was caused by a boost leak, why not have a contest about what is the worst thing you done that caused a boost leak.. lol

i was going to philly with a few friends, we have multiple philly runs yearly, anyways, i was last one to pull out of the lot in delaware right off a 3 mile straight on i95. had to catch up to my buddy in his e55 because we were supposed to race. while catching up to him i was doing about 60+ in a neighbohood area, got on a bridge, got airborne, landed nose first (didn't think i fucked anything up at first other than my lip) later to realize i had a 5" hairline crack on one of the welds on my FMIC. so blown... lol.... caused a 4psi boost leak only tho.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by damastah
well... since he won the worst thing that was caused by a boost leak, why not have a contest about what is the worst thing you done that caused a boost leak.. lol

i was going to philly with a few friends, we have multiple philly runs yearly, anyways, i was last one to pull out of the lot in delaware right off a 3 mile straight on i95. had to catch up to my buddy in his e55 because we were supposed to race. while catching up to him i was doing about 60+ in a neighbohood area, got on a bridge, got airborne, landed nose first (didn't think i fucked anything up at first other than my lip) later to realize i had a 5" hairline crack on one of the welds on my FMIC. so blown... lol.... caused a 4psi boost leak only tho.
Nice, gotta love trying to catch up with friends haha!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

Back when I had the Hahn ic I blew it apart many times. I blew the end tanks off both sides different times. I blew top charge pipes off before and it made a hole in my hood pushing 40lbs haha.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
I had a leak once that caused a massive sudden fuel trim skew that then caused crazy KR readings. This was followed by the turbo going out about not long after, so I'm not sure if it was just the boost leak or the large leak that also caused the turbo to go due to overspinning it to stay at that boost level or something.
Dude, you nailed it. The leak caused the turbo to overcompensate/overspin to make that boost level.
It really stresses the turbo.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
Back when I had the Hahn ic I blew it apart many times. I blew the end tanks off both sides different times. I blew top charge pipes off before and it made a hole in my hood pushing 40lbs haha.
Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
Dude, you nailed it. The leak caused the turbo to overcompensate/overspin to make that boost level.
It really stresses the turbo.
Yeah, the source of my crazy leak was the Hahn IC that blew a weld (second one I had). I got it fixed, sold it, and went with the ZZP IC.

As far as the craziest thing that caused an leak, mine was rather the most mundane thing. I was just trying to get gas. lol I was trying to get up a ramped pull-in to the gas station and the front scraped a bit. No issues, got gas, and then only made it about half a mile down the road before the car went limp. After that I could only get it up to a max of maybe 15mph before it would go limp to a standstill. Turbo made a spin-up sound, but there was no power. Felt underneath the car once I got it idling again and it felt like a small blowdrier blowing on my hand under the front of the car.... broken stock IC. Had to get it towed to the dealer, and then I bought my [first] Hahn IC.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Had my car shipped to me from a dealership in Michigan. almost brand new with 1700mi and I had them install GMTU. When it arrived, first thing I noticed ( while still on the trailer)is that there was a large gash on the drivers side front lip and appeared to have noticeable bondo residue and fresh paint.
The shipping company had caused all sorts of damage on the inside and outside, and then attemtped to cover their ass, with sloppy bondo work. Grease on headliner, damaged Lr interior door panel, gashed paint on roof, and on top of it all my SS would not stay running because the dumfuck shipping company smashed my IC. < =$4k in damage.
Car sat at dealership for over a month whiled I tried to collect from the shipping co.
Boost leak from hell!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by LNFwagonSS
Had my car shipped to me from a dealership in Michigan. almost brand new with 1700mi and I had them install GMTU. When it arrived, first thing I noticed ( while still on the trailer)is that there was a large gash on the drivers side front lip and appeared to have noticeable bondo residue and fresh paint.
The shipping company had caused all sorts of damage on the inside and outside, and then attemtped to cover their ass, with sloppy bondo work. Grease on headliner, damaged Lr interior door panel, gashed paint on roof, and on top of it all my SS would not stay running because the dumfuck shipping company smashed my IC. < =$4k in damage.
Car sat at dealership for over a month whiled I tried to collect from the shipping co.
Boost leak from hell!
That is a boost leak taken to the extreme haha. I hope they at least fixed it free of charge?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Wow, pretty crazy stories.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by 08baltSS
That is a boost leak taken to the extreme haha. I hope they at least fixed it free of charge?
Long story, but ended up having geico take care of it because the transport co went awalt and no1 could make contact with them. Geico took really good care of me even though they dropped me after the fact. Good thing I insured it before it left the dealership. Didn't cost me a dime.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Long story, but ended up having geico take care of it because the transport co went awalt and no1 could make contact with them. Geico took really good care of me even though they dropped me after the fact. Good thing I insured it before it left the dealership. Didn't cost me a dime.
Wow that is a terrible situation, sorry to hear it.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prevsrt4owner
You think the Cobalt is bad?! SRT-4. . . .
Funny, I only know of 2 SRT-4s in my whole city, both have had boost leaks when I saw them up close lol
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 08baltSS
Wow that is a terrible situation, sorry to hear it.
I anticipated its arrival for weeks and became pretty stressful with 4k in damage hanging over your head on a brand new car that was un-drivable.

6000 miles later, turbo took a ****. New turbo @ 7500mi, coincedence? Prolly not

READY AUTO TRANSPORT contracted a company named COD TRUCKING for the transport. Remember those names because they didn't do **** to help me (even though they are licensed&bonded)and could have cared less../rant

Gettin fired up just thinking bout it lol.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:18 PM

I anticipated its arrival for weeks and became pretty stressful with 4k in damage hanging over your head on a brand new car that was un-drivable.

6000 miles later, turbo took a ****. New turbo @ 7500mi, coincedence? Prolly not

READY AUTO TRANSPORT contracted a company named COD TRUCKING for the transport. Remember those names because they didn't do **** to help me (even though they are licensed&bonded)and could have cared less../rant

Gettin fired up just thinking bout it lol.
Can't blame you man, you got the shaft on that one...