2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Dyno Tested: Vacuum Tank Bypass mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno Tested: Vacuum Tank Bypass mod

So I decided to try the Vacuum Tank Bypass mod that can be found here...somewhere

Did the first pull completely bone stock and made:
243.5 whp @ 5523 rpm
243.2 wtq @ 2678 rpm

Bypassed the vacuum tank and made:
250.8 whp @ 5454 rpm
254 wtq @ 2747 rpm

In my opinion, the gains are well worth the 5 minutes it takes to do the mod.
I also think I have pinned down what the vacuum tank actually does. IT COMBATS TORQUE STEER. If you read any car magazine comparisons of fwd turbo cars they always whine and moan about torque steer. So, if boost comes on slower, there is less torque steer.

My car now has 0 lag and it doesn't bog down in corners and prevent the car from making boost like it used to.

Picture of the dyno graph (Black=before, red=after)

Here's a video of the dyno run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBXz4ngcUs
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM

this is relevant to my interests
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hp increase could also be due to the engine being warmer in the 2nd pull and not due to the bypass mod, not the first time the lnf makes more hp on the 2nd or 3rd dyno pull.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Regardless, lag is essentially non-existent now and the car definitely feels faster.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bypassed it for a few days my fuel trims suffered.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:52 PM

Hmmm did you tune it out or did you plug the lines back into the tank?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting...

Sub'd

Yeah, I'd be interested to know the details of the dyno session so that can be ruled out. (How long it sat before you all started, how long between stock pull and tank bypass pull, etc) That's surprising that it would make any change besides a response improvement.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 AM

Seemed to run a decent amount richer over much of the rpm range. Dont know how that could make it have more power though....
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by alex_mcg
So I decided to try the Vacuum Tank Bypass mod that can be found here...somewhere

243.5 whp @ 5523 rpm
243.2 wtq @ 2678 rpm

250.8 whp @ 5454 rpm
254 wtq @ 2747 rpm

I also think I have pinned down what the vacuum tank actually does. IT COMBATS TORQUE STEER. If you read any car magazine comparisons of fwd turbo cars they always whine and moan about torque steer. So, if boost comes on slower, there is less torque steer.

My car now has 0 lag and it doesn't bog down in corners and prevent the car from making boost like it used to.

See how the A/F is about 13.0 in the midrange vs 14.0 on the first run that is why there is a power gain. All the Vac tank does is it stores air so that when you let off the throttle or get on the throttle it opens and closes the BPV much more smoothly.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator2
See how the A/F is about 13.0 in the midrange vs 14.0 on the first run that is why there is a power gain. All the Vac tank does is it stores air so that when you let off the throttle or get on the throttle it opens and closes the BPV much more smoothly.
i have a question term... would you say this would be a bad mod? or a good one... seems like one that you could do and retune your car vs the A/F
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ctn3mb
i have a question term... would you say this would be a bad mod? or a good one... seems like one that you could do and retune your car vs the A/F
Not worth doing IMHO.
I did it to my car and what seems to happen is the BPV does not open as quickly as it should and that results in some mild compressor surge when letting off the throttle. I see no logical reason that this mod would change the A/F mixture unless a vacuum leak was introduced in the process. My commanded and actual A/F was always the same with or without the vacuum tank hooked up. All the vacuum tank does is to provide the BPV with a more consistant supply of air to either open or close it that is all it does. Chances are on his second run there was a little extra enrichment being added by the ECM to the normal PE Lambda value. That is the only reason the A/F should change in this situation.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Just try the mod for yourself. I for one love the way the car pulls now.

I don't think anyone is a fan of turbo lag.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Just try the mod for yourself. I for one love the way the car pulls now.

I don't think anyone is a fan of turbo lag.
The only lag we have the ETC lag really. It takes a full second from the time you go WOT until the throttle is open all the way to 100%. Made no difference on my car except it felt rough when letting off the throttle sometimes.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Former Vendor

Was this done on a stock tune car too?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 PM

The only lag we have the ETC lag really. It takes a full second from the time you go WOT until the throttle is open all the way to 100%. Made no difference on my car except it felt rough when letting off the throttle sometimes.
I had none of that. Just no lag. If I get the time, I'll try and make a video. That is if I can get someone squished behind my seat to hold a camera. So you can see how the car accelerates and how the boost comes on.

After watching the video again, I noticed their computer screen said my car spiked and held at 20 psi for a bit. I'm not sure if this is accurate because there was a sky redline there running a trifecta tune that read 5 psi higher than what his gauge showed.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

243.5 whp @ 5523 rpm
243.2 wtq @ 2678 rpm

250.8 whp @ 5454 rpm
254 wtq @ 2747 rpm

I did this mod also and can confirm what you posted. By the way the adjustable pill mod also worked great for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM

I had none of that. Just no lag. If I get the time, I'll try and make a video. That is if I can get someone squished behind my seat to hold a camera. So you can see how the car accelerates and how the boost comes on.

After watching the video again, I noticed their computer screen said my car spiked and held at 20 psi for a bit. I'm not sure if this is accurate because there was a sky redline there running a trifecta tune that read 5 psi higher than what his gauge showed.
That is strange mine never went any higher or lower when I did this mod. I was running my tune when I did it not the stock tune.

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
Was this done on a stock tune car too?
The OPs car has a stock tune.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-22-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM

Maybe on a stock LNF the mod works but with a tuned LNF the actual tune is controlling the boost. I dont have a clue im just throwing out some suggestions. I have been contemplating doing this myself but my SS is trifecta tuned at 23.5 psi.

My questions:

Is safe to do on a tuned LNF?

Is it worth doing on a tuned LNF? (any HP is worth it to me as long as it is safe HP)

Do i have to retune on my tuned LNF?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dflannery
Maybe on a stock LNF the mod works but with a tuned LNF the actual tune is controlling the boost. I dont have a clue im just throwing out some suggestions. I have been contemplating doing this myself but my SS is trifecta tuned at 23.5 psi.

My questions:

Is it worth doing on a tuned LNF? (any HP is worth it to me as long as it is safe HP)

I did it on mine and then data logged it and sent the logs to Vince at Trifecta to have my tune adjusted for the higher boost. Im spiking around 25 a holding at 23 -24. It screams but I want to retune it with the adjustments from Vince before I take it to the track
Old 04-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mongorat427
I did it on mine and then data logged it and sent the logs to Vince at Trifecta to have my tune adjusted for the higher boost. Im spiking around 25 a holding at 23 -24. It screams but I want to retune it with the adjustments from Vince before I take it to the track
Did you dyno it before and after the vacuum tank delete?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by dflannery

My questions:

I wouldn't think this would be worth it at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Did you dyno it before and after the vacuum tank delete?
I was only getting 17 lbs of boost before the mod with the tune. Thats why I did it. Like I said the car runs like a raped ape now. I just want to make sure the tune is right on. The Nittos really make a difference in the way the car hooks up also.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM

If you are stock, then maybe.

But if you are already going to tune, why not just tune it right and have your car run properly and blow off properly. High boost is ok until it has nowhere to go and blows through piping because it cannot release properly
Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM

the sky redline and solstice gxp do not have this vacuum tank and i assume are running the same bpv? the connection is straight from the intake, about 2 in of tube. so they are running this stock. of course they may have a different stock tune that compensates for this, but that i dont know. but as someone said earlier maybe for the torque steer from the fwd just my 2 cents tho...
Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by gameguy69500
the sky redline and solstice gxp do not have this vacuum tank and i assume are running the same bpv? the connection is straight from the intake, about 2 in of tube. so they are running this stock. of course they may have a different stock tune that compensates for this, but that i dont know. but as someone said earlier maybe for the torque steer from the fwd just my 2 cents tho...
The Solstice and Sky also didn't come with NLS from the factory, so I've supposed it was for NLS, to give the driver just a bit longer to shift before the bypass valve activates.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tested: Vacuum Tank Bypass mod