2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Purple Hornies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purple Hornies?

So, I was looking through the aftermarket book at Advance Auto Parts and saw that there is a 3 inch muffler that could bolt directly up to a 3 inch downpipe on the LNF and it directs the exhaust at the ground. But, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this exhaust, the brand name is Purple Hornies. Looks like they could be used on v-8 muscle cars and etc. for right off the headers but I was just going to get one to stay legal and still be running almost a straight pipe with a bit of back pressure. Anyone ever heard of them or heard the way they sound on a 4-cylinder, let alone a turbo 4-cylinder?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if 400fwhp is your goal, auto zone parts are not the way to go.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 AM

Didn't say autozone, I said Advance. And I can order Borla, AEM and multiple other items there for fairly cheap. I ordered my AEM Intake there. Having friends that work at auto parts stores helps a lot...but you shouldn't be one to judge something. My buddy with an 07 Burnt Orange SS Supercharged owned your time in your sig with his "Auto Zone Parts" on his Cobalt considering you can order clutches and all the GM Stage Kits through there. Be friendly, this is a friendly forum for fellow Cobalt owners. I was just asking a simple question, and compared to some threads on here it is infact not such a dumb question.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Didn't say autozone, I said Advance. And I can order Borla, AEM and multiple other items there for fairly cheap. I ordered my AEM Intake there. Having friends that work at auto parts stores helps a lot...but you shouldn't be one to judge something. My buddy with an 07 Burnt Orange SS Supercharged owned your time in your sig with his "Auto Zone Parts" on his Cobalt considering you can order clutches and all the GM Stage Kits through there. Be friendly, this is a friendly forum for fellow Cobalt owners. I was just asking a simple question, and compared to some threads on here it is infact not such a dumb question.
owned
Old 07-23-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
owned
x2
Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 AM

nicely done hahah never heard of the brand tho. as long as its a straight through design honestly i dont think 1 muffler to another is going to make a whole lot of difference other than in sound.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM

they are designed to bolt to header collector's on older muscle cars. Never seen them on any newer cars but that doesn't mean you can't! Good luck with your decision!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM

really? i was not aware that you can order other brand parts from auto zone, or advance. and cool deal for him, it was my second time at the track. i only have a k&n filter (from autozone) exhaust, 2.9 and 42#'s.

all i'm saying is that i would go with something that is a more trusted brand. cheap, fast, reliable. you can only pick two.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 PM

I have never heard of many decent parts from autozone, or advance auto.

Learned something new I guess.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
just an FYI.. The purple hornies have a 3" flange (OD) while our cars use a 3.5" (OD) flange off of the downpipe so they will not bolt up. Plus the pipe squeezes down to something like 2" after the flange... Mucho restrictive...

Keep in mind the purple hornie really is essentially just a resonator (a glasspack "muffler" in the PH's case) so you're really just better off doing a simple (and free mind you) muffler delete to get pretty much the same result with your stock resonator... just minus the restriction the hornie will give you.

Just some food for thought from a muscle car guy who has run these on his vehicles before
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 PM

yeah those are glass packs that are designed to bolt to a 3in header collector on a v8. not made for this type of car. if you want to run the same thing, but just weld it into your exhaust system, look into cherry bomb mufflers, which are welded in.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Cherry-Bomb/Ch...69804/10002/-1
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM

Well thanks for the info. Wasn't completely sure on the sound but a glasspack is too ricey. But yeah, Ask for their keystone automotive book. You can order anything there including powerbass amps, subs, and boxes. I'm getting my GMS1 cross referenced tomorrow. They just have top name brands like AEM, Injen, Borla, and things like that. No Hahn or anything. Right now there isn't a whole lot out for our cars, but when the magnaflow exhaust kit comes out for our car, I can get it there. Some things you order there aren't listed in the book so you have to look up a part number online.