2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that oiled filters are bad for our cars because it messes up the sensors?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
@ Aaron;
Oiled filters are here to stay;
They are proven performers, and if you don't go crazy and over oil your filter, you should not have any oil getting onto your MAF.

With that being said, here's my compilation of all the info (with a tiny bit added by myself; I installed a K&N SRI on a member's car);

Originally Posted by Terminator2
I thought I would share my experiences with all the intakes I have either personally tested or done tuning on through data logs:

Stock airbox & K&N(drop-in)
Initial analysis
Cheapest option out there - cost is only ~$50 and installation is easy, it takes approx 30 seconds and the fitment of the filter is just as good as stock.
Driveabiliy / Datalogging
Drivability is OK but I noticed some bogging as I would stab the throttle. The Drop in filter skews the MAF about the same as the airbox mod at approx -3.2 to -5 LTFT and -12 to +6 STFT. There is no cold start surging or shutter with the drop in filter.
Overall impression
Performance is a tad better at WOT vs the stock air filter but the stock intake tube is almost as restrictive as the stock filter so the gains are likely 5-6 whp less than the airbox mod (which was shown by ZZP to add ~12-14 whp up top over the stock intake). Even a drop in filter needs a tune for optimum drivability and performance.
Note : Removing the snorkel completely from the factory airbox is a bad idea because that snorkel acts as both a velocity stack (the bell shaped end helps funnel air) and also helps straighten the incoming air some before it hits the filter. Removing the snorkel while running a K&N Drop in filter causes a -7.2 LTFT and -17 to +10 STFTs because of lots of turbulence over the MAF. It is ok to mod your factory snorkel as described by ZZP in the airbox mod thread but I highly discourage removing the snorkel completely for the sake of responsiveness and overall performance. Sound is slightly louder than the stock airbox but not noticeable to me because my exhaust is loud.

Stock airbox w/airbox mod, K&N, and AEM elbow
Initial analysis
The factory airbox mod uses a modded stock snorkel setup, a K&N drop in filter, and the infamous AEM silicone elbow. Well, fitment is well, almost like stock but coupling the modded snorkel to the airbox is tricky and the AEM elbow is actually about 1.0-1.5" longer than the stock elbow so it is difficult to remove the airbox lid to get to the filter. Trimming it a little helps some.
Driveability is not that great untuned as the K&N causes turbulance at the MAF (Recurring theme here). Also, the cold start surging and abrupt shutter when letting off the throttle is still present and is just as bad as it is with the AEM intake tube. The LTFTs settle in at -3.2 to -5 in most cases (some have seen -7 LTFT) and the STFTs are between -13 and +6.
Overall impression
The airbox mod actually causes just as much if not more skew than some intakes. Cost is appox $160 + $50 = $210 (about the same as a slightly used intake). Power gains are probably slightly less (probably 5-10 hp less) than some intakes but I have not dynoed it vs the stock intake with the same tune so I am unsure. ZZP showed 12-14 whp gains over the stock airbox.

Dejon SRI
Initial analysis
First of all, fitment is sub par as the coupler for the turbo is jerry rigged and the breather does not lock on. It is a very inexpensive intake compared to most others but you get what you paid for IMO.
Data logs show a LTFT of -8 to -9 on my car and STFTs of -10 to +6 on the average. Even when tuned for the intake there was MAF turbulence evident especially under dynamic conditions.
Driveability was fair when tuned except lots of bogging and misfires noticed especially as you roll into an off of the throttle.
Overall impression
Sound wise this is the most aggressive sounding intake I have ever heard on any car period. SRIs will be a lot louder in the car than CAIs due to intake location. Powerwise there were decent gains on the dyno 15-20 whp up top over the stock airbox tuned of course at 22 psi

AEM CAI
Initial analysis
Fitment is excellent, the best of any intake I have ever seen. Cost is reasonable for the materials used ( 3.25" aluminum tubing, MAF extension harness, proper breather attachment).
Drivability is not good at all at times due to compressor choke/surge observed on cold starts and also abrupt jerking and flutter dump as the throttle is realeased gradually especially when using the cruise control on slightly hilly roads. It causes LTFTs of +8.6 to +9.4 and STFTs of -5 to +7 so it does need some adjusting to get everything back to where it should be. If it were not for the surging issues due to the enormous silicone elbow and the MAF being placed way too close to the filter which causes turbulence issues at the MAF it would be a very good intake. The surging issue completely disappears if you remove the silicone elbow and run the factory elbow but, the factory elbow flows less so you have made the intake pretty much pointless from a performance standpoint.
Overall impression
Sound is slighly louder than stock or about the same as the airbox mod. Power was again 15-20 whp up vs the stock airbox.

**update*
I ran this intake for 5 months on my car and had to to do less than 1-2% changes (read: not necessary at all really) to a few areas of the MAF tables but honestly as far as fuel trims go the newer AEM is a winner. One negative thing some have noticed is some cold start compressor choke even with the revised intake and while some cars have this issue some do not for some strange reason. I still firmly believe that the silicone elbow is still the reason for this choking issue and there is a way to almost completely eliminate that issue through tuning the cam tables especially the cat heating cold idle tables.

Hahn CAI
Initial analysis
Fitment varies depending on the age of the intake. Some of the older generation ones like mine do not have a locking breather attachment so I had to find a better way to secure the breather (a piece of 5/8" hose, two hose clamps and a slightly shortened version of my breather fitting for the AEM) . The MAF wiring loom has to be modified in order to reach the MAF in its new location (I have an extension harness from my AEM I used instead).
Edit: I got the stock MAF harness to reach by cutting a few of the fasteners that hold the main harness onto the engine.
Drivability is very good compared to all other intake setups I have driven. It is smoother than the stock airbox even at idle and on cold starts which is a very refreshing change over my AEM intake. Finally no more surging! I cannot comment on the drivability of the intake untuned because Tom (I am Broke) was so kind as to send me his Hahn MAF tables he has been working on for at least a month now. I am working on dialing the MAF in the last 2-3% on my car right now. Performance feels about the same or slightly better than the AEM or Dejon intakes and this intake has proven to flow up to 38 lbs/min at 24 psi with the MAF corrected to within 1%. I have not dynoed the Hahn yet because it has been on my car since only last night LOL.
Overall impression
There is some evidence of turbulence with the Hahn intake but it is not as bad as most of the other intakes I have logged. Sound s louder than the stock airbox and slightly louder than the airbox mod as I can hear the intake sometimes over my exhaust.

Injen CAI
Initial analysis
(no first hand info to post)
(see section below)
Overall impression
Injen's intake I have not tested personally but Tofu, a member on here did some data logging and dyno testing of injen's intake. From his logs the LTFT was -6.2 to -7 when it settled and the STFTs varied from -12 to +5. He said the driveability was decent but it felt sliggish sometimes in the midrange. Dyno testing showed a 10-15 whp gain up top but significant losses of 15-20 wtrq in the midrange even when the MAF was tuned for the intake. Quality seems to be good and no one has reported any unusual issues with surging with Injen's intake.

K&N SRI
Initial analysis
Very nice part - Probably the longest in the making.
Fitment is fine, comes with all the hardware and clear instructions for mounting.
I have done 5 cars now with the K&N SRI and all have needed anywhere from +5% to +10% changes to many areas of the MAF tables.
Overall impression
The K&N SRI gives good drivability untuned compared to the other SRIs because it has cleaner airfow over the MAF due the way K&N designed the shape of the filter so changing this filter for a different type will most likely lead to a large decrease in drivability.

Clearimage CAI
Initial analysis
Some have had issues with the fitment of the coupler used. It was kinking and hitting both the AC line and the firewall as shown in a picture Steddy took. Steddy and PrincessTurbo are two that have had issues with the fitment of CIAs intake. Also according to PrincessTurbo that coupler supplied is very flimsy and collapses and kinks very easily. He ended up replacing it with a Vibrant reinforced elbow which solved the issue but cost him another $70.
I tuned him for the intake and it was not that bad. It took 4-5 logs to get it perfect. The initial log showed a LTFT of -5.2 to -6 and STFT of -8 to +12. According to IsItFast he had some surging issues as well as a marked decrease in mileage until he had his MAF dialed in for the intake.
Overall impression
Not sure if there is a marked power increase because I have never seen a before and after dyno. I have not seen any airflow improvements on PrincessTurbo's logs with the CIA CAI vs the stock airbox with a drop in filter. He said he did not feel any noticeable difference coming from the stock airbox. I have always noticed a big difference especially in top end when switching from the stock airbox to an intake or vise versa.

Treadstone CAI
Initial analysis
(no first hand info to post)
(see section below)
Overall impression
Of all the CAIs this one is a very close 2nd to the revised AEM intake. Most areas of the MAF tables need only 2-3% adjustment but there are some high load areas that needed up to +13% adjustment. The car in question has a VTA BOV so there are times at light loads when the BOV vents that the fuel trims can be off by up to _30% but this is not due to the intake but the VTA BOV bleeding out already metered air. When the BOV is shut those same areas are off by less than 3%.

End Summary:
Turbulence over the MAF is a reoccurring theme here and the reason is simple. The factory MAF does not have a screen in front of it like most MAFs. The reason for this Laminar flow straighter is to ensure the airflow over the sensor is uniform and not turbulent because turbulence confuses the sensor skewing its readings. I believe the reason that there is no screen at the MAF is because of concerns that it could possibly be sucked into the turbo eventually. If the screen is properly secured it would not be an issue.

In my opinion the perfect intake for the LNF would have a 3.25" intake tube made of Aluminum or Steel. It would have a separate MAF housing piece with a screen right in Front of the MAF to keep airflow readings consistent. The MAF housing's ID should be as close to the ID of the stock intake as possible to keep the fuel trims as close to stock as possible. The portion that couples to both the intake tube and the turbo would be made of aluminum or steel and would gradually taper in diameter from 3.25" to 2.5" and would use smooth long radius bends like the Hahn intake uses not a very sharp 90* bend like the AEM Elbow uses.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 AM

who sells the k&n intake?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 AM

Got mine here...

Amazon.com: K&N 69-4518TTK Performance Intake Kit: Automotive

I think turbo tech racing sells it too.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

So, from the above statement, the hahn is the best intake as far as power and manageability?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC
I thought that oiled filters are bad for our cars because it messes up the sensors?
If over oiled they can mess up the MAF's readings because the oil coats the sensor and changes the resistance value which makes the sensor think it is seeing more airflow than actual causing a rich condition. A wet filter causes the same issue. My Hahn got wet one time when it rained and I was parked. The water dripped off the headlight brackets right onto the filter. It was so wet the car hardly wanted to run and the LTFT was -23 the MAF was so skewed from getting wet. I got it home and took the headlight out and the filter was soaked so was the intake pipe near the MAF. I dried it out and put a cover I made over the top of the filter. No issues after that.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:20 PM

i wish i would have gotten the k&n intake or dejon, but oh well...the zzp tube/k&n filter made no change in sound or much of performance, but it looks like stock and is a quality part
Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC
i wish i would have gotten the k&n intake or dejon, but oh well...the zzp tube/k&n filter made no change in sound or much of performance, but it looks like stock and is a quality part
You can always get the K&N SRI down the road if you want the extra sound and a few more hp.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM

yeah, but then i would have to drive out to the sticks again...lol...j/k
Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by aaron-ss-tc
yeah, but then i would have to drive out to the sticks again...lol...j/k
lol.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 AM

nice write up..yea i just ordered a turbo xs intake
Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 AM

I didn't see anything on the Turbo XS intake. How good is it? How is it's driveability, fitment, and power compared to the others. Did anybody pair the Turbo XS IC and charge piping with it?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Nation08
I didn't see anything on the Turbo XS intake. How good is it? How is it's driveability, fitment, and power compared to the others. Did anybody pair the Turbo XS IC and charge piping with it?
Never tuned a car with one nor seen one before so I cannot comment on that intake.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 PM

I installed a K&N Typhoon CAI on my 08 ss/tc w/MPX Down pipe & catback exhaust.
Now the car doesn't seem to spool up as quick and the boost doesn't seem to max out at 15psi.
Do I need a tune to make this work correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by scottstang1
I installed a K&N Typhoon CAI on my 08 ss/tc w/MPX Down pipe & catback exhaust.
Now the car doesn't seem to spool up as quick and the boost doesn't seem to max out at 15psi.
Do I need a tune to make this work correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
Option 1a: Reset the ECU

Option 1b: Drive around for a couple days and then get back to us.

Option 2: Get tuned for it.

It's not happy with the intake because it's needing some time to adapt to it since you've changed how the air flows past the sensors. The quickest option is to reset the ECU and it will adapt quicker that way. The other option is daily drive with it for a while and the car will naturally adapt to it.

Boost doesn't mean power. With a better flowing intake and exhaust, you shouldn't make as much boost with this car. It'll make the same or more power with less boost because it isn't having to work as hard.

Yes, you're best off getting tuned for an intake for this car. It's better than option 1a and 1b, and also better long-term from a driveability and possibly reliability standpoint.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM

Im thinking of buying a used aem, and using the aluminum and putting it with my zzp tube..may even modify the aluminum to shorten it a bit...dunno
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM

I don't understand how short ram intakes make any more horespower than stock. The stock intake has a tube the goes beneath the bumper sucking in cold air. On a short ram intake the filter is right next to a HOT engine. I know some of them have a heat shields but its still next to the engine. The turbo wants cold air specially at higher RPMS
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ApizzCobaltTurbo
I don't understand how short ram intakes make any more horespower than stock. The stock intake has a tube the goes beneath the bumper sucking in cold air. On a short ram intake the filter is right next to a HOT engine. I know some of them have a heat shields but its still next to the engine. The turbo wants cold air specially at higher RPMS
The IC cools the air back down to close to ambient even if it comes into the turbo 40* hotter than ambient it gets cooled back down. This is why regardless of the intake chosen a better than factory IC is a must.

Last edited by Terminator2; 03-23-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ApizzCobaltTurbo
Like T2 said above, in a turbo car, it's all about airflow and not so much about temps like in an N/A car, due to the presence of an IC.

To borrow from something I said in an earlier thread on the topic:

If you think about it... anytime you make the turbo have to "suck" less hard (usually referred to as head or suction head) to get the air in before compressing it, the quicker it'll spool and more it will easily flow. Imagine trying to suck air very quickly through a very long straw (possibly even with several bends in it) or small diameter straw vs. a short straw or a wider straw. This means SRIs and larger diameter CAIs are the way to go.

IC aside... with the K&N SRI, the high temps return to normal once you start moving again. The temps are like stock actually, especially in the upper RPM airflow range.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:22 PM

So wheresthe info on the KnN??
Old 05-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Never mind
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM

For what it's worth, John Heinricy is running the AEM CAI in his autocross Cobalt SS/TC in SCCA DSP class. Just ran against him this past weekend. He took 1st, I was 3rd.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM

I just realized with the new trifecta, we can run amsoil filters on our k&n short rams instead of the crappy oiled filters. This makes me happy haha.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM

i have a redneck tech intake which includes a k&n sri plus some extra piping routing my filter in the bumper in which i drilled holes in the very bottom of the wheel well cover to give it fresh air and it does not suck water either
Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 AM

Is Treadstone filter oiled

Quick Reply: Thoughts On All Intakes Currently Avaliable For the SS/TC