2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomj77
well long story short, dealer said if we open it up and find that the valves are worn due to meth, cause meth takes the teflon coating off the valves and then they wear. (why did no one tell me this?) if they send the valve to gm he said they will void ur warrenty. but i dont wanna do that to u, and i also dont wanna **** off gm, so he said he will just put my car back together, and i should take the meth kit out and take it to another dealer or bring it back in a year or so. so he didnt void my warrenty. but the ticking seems to have gone away now that i took out the royal purple oil and went back to moble 1, but ill check to make sure. but ya meth kit will be pulled. will put it on my dune buggy. oh well it was fun doing the project, and yay to still having warrenty.
Wow, that's kind of a shocker to see about the Meth kits. With as many people around here using them, you would think someone else would have known this and said something, but I haven't read anything like that before.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
nither have i, thats the thing. i would assume it was bad for seals seeing as it would dry them out and stuff. but i never thought about the valves and such. but i only ran one tank so he thinks im ok, just doesnt want to trust it cause he doesnt want to void my warrenty. it was my choice, i told him to leave it.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

well got the car back, listened for the tick with my stethascope (spelling) seems to be less. only difference, i changed out the royal purple back to moble 1. not using that **** no more. not after that and the reviews on what its done to peoples cars im not. ill wait till it gets louder, take out the meth kit, and bite the bullet, if i have to pay i have to pay.

Last edited by tomj77; 09-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 AM

did they end up replacing the oil pump? or did they just put everything back together the way it was?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 AM

I'm not a chemist but what I can tell you is that where I work, we use ~200-500 gals of Methanol a day sometimes and many of our fittings, filters and pipes are Teflon lined or coated. As far as I know, Methanol has no effect on Teflon. So either the tech was lying to you or he just didnt know.

I will confirm with one of the chemists here and post back to be 100% certain.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
im pretty sure Methanol doesnt effect teflon. Nothing does. Unless the methanol can absorb into the teflon, it aint going to cause damage. Thats like saying water damages teflon.. The only truely reactive part of Methanol, Ethanol, alcohol groups in general is the Hydroxide bond (-O-H). I cant think of a single reaction itg could have with teflon????

Maybe I should google this, LOL.

I work in a lab.

also I want to add, I TOO have this tertiary tick noise.... its annoying. No CEL, no codes. no loss in power. Not running meth and I've used Mobile 1 the entire 50k miles i've owned the car. I have a rapid tick thats always present (sounds like a 9 year old making machine gun noises, normal I think...). then I have the suttle single click a second (normal to me). Then I got this quieter background tick that is like 3 clicks every second... Like in the videos.

I've been ignoring it thinking its okay.. I think I will buy that stethoscope... and I guess I need to throw back on my stock intake and take the car in . What would I be looking for if I take the valve cover off?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

well they took my valve cover off and found nothing under there, but thats as far as they went. its almost like its coming from the timing chain, the tick comes, then its quiet for a few seconds, then there it is again. he said it doesnt sound terminal, but he pretty much refused to touch my motor when i decided ill take the kit off and risk them looking, he said i dont want to cost u that much money if they void it. he is pretty awesome tech. but anyway ill gonna leave it for now, gonna take the kit off, and once they forget i was even there im gonna take it back with no mods on. thats what he suggested, that or take it to a diff dealer, but thats to far away for me. gonna run some seafoam threw it and see. I questioned him again about the seals and oil thing and it seemed like there was no issue. what kinda oil pressure do u guys see at idle? on my gauge im seeing around 30psi, is that normal? plus he said before he measured oil pressure at the top of the motor and the bottom and it didnt match, seeing as everyone who has tried to put a gauge in the head gets a lower reading than they should, id say thats normal. but idk. i got the money if it breaks to fix it, but he didnt think it was to serious. so ill just wait some, gonna go back to no meth, and gotta put my stock downpipe back on since he suggested i do if i bring it in again.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM

mine sounds the same as each one of these videos
Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

lol that was cool, my car blew a couple of smoke rings. lol smoked like a bugger, im almost thinking the tick may be caused by gummed up valves. is someone has it, and checks and cleans their valves, see if the noise goes away.