2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Use Seafoam to De-Carbon intake valves

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about water/meth injection? any chance the that could clean it up a bit? Im not sure if the mixture would be hot enough at that point to steam... if it did i think it would be pretty good.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gestapo007
where did you put it? i took off teh vac line on the intake manifold and poured a bit in the rubber hose, is that how you do it? pour a bit while idling, reconnect, let it sit, then run it and rev the **** out of it
This has been reiterated time and time again.

Brake Booster.

I don't give a **** if it's DI or not. That doesn't make a damn difference. The SS/TC isn't the only DI car out there. Just suck the **** through the BB and be done with it. That's how it's done. If you don't believe it, check some VW forums, or some Audi forums.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:32 AM

where did you put it? i took off teh vac line on the intake manifold and poured a bit in the rubber hose, is that how you do it? pour a bit while idling, reconnect, let it sit, then run it and rev the **** out of it
i went to autozone and bought 2 feet of 1/4 rubber hose and disconnected the vaccum line from the intake manifold connected my 2 foot section. the car was running the whole time sucked out half a can of seafoam reconnected the line shut off the car for 5-10 then started it back up and it smoked like no other. i can take pick of it tomorrow and post it up to show you guys.

and you dont have to pour it through the brake booster line there is a lil line that comes off the top of the manifold that is real easy to do aswell
Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 AM

Honestly, any vacuum line going to the IM works. The BB is just the most common, as it goes to the IM. The BB is a ****-load easier to get to on most other cars, kind of a bitch on the Cobalt.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:39 AM

copson- are you stock or booosting over 20psi?

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem with getting oil caked on the intake valves or even the exhaust valves like that?... GM should have installed an Oil catch can in the first place..

After you use "Seafoam" or any other product to remove the oiled-caked intake valves, your next step should be, is to install an "Oil Catch Can", this will prevent it from happening again.. boosting over 5-30psi causes oil to leak/seep into - vacuum lines, intake manifold, charge pipes, intercooler, etc - pretty much anywhere forced/pressurized air will push oil and will leak/seep oil into or out of..
Old 05-16-2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
This has been reiterated time and time again.

Brake Booster.

I don't give a **** if it's DI or not. That doesn't make a damn difference. The SS/TC isn't the only DI car out there. Just suck the **** through the BB and be done with it. That's how it's done. If you don't believe it, check some VW forums, or some Audi forums.
Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Honestly, any vacuum line going to the IM works. The BB is just the most common, as it goes to the IM. The BB is a ****-load easier to get to on most other cars, kind of a bitch on the Cobalt.
AHHA! So i was right!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 AM

AHHA! So i was right!
True.

I just figured most people knew about the BB as the most common vacuum line. I've never seen under the hood of an SS/TC and I know it's obviously different than an LS.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 AM

all i know is, if a GM tech says "no seafoam" and this is our **** after 15k miles. then they better find something:

Im on 30k miles, i can only IMAGINE mine
Old 05-16-2010, 12:54 AM

all i know is, if a GM tech says "no seafoam" and this is our **** after 15k miles. then they better find something:

Im on 30k miles, i can only IMAGINE mine
the oil catch can solves this problem - its should be the first mod done on the car when someone picks it up from the stealership..
Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 AM

Look at the valves!!!

Thanks for posting up the pics. The correct way to use seafoam is to warm engine proper operating temp. suck 1 cup of seafoam thru intake slowly. engine will rev on its own. don't stall the engine. smoke will come out the tail right away. shut engine off when cup is empty. let engine sit for 20 mins. yes 20 mins. then go for a drive till it stops smoking. check engine light will come on and should go away in 10 - 30 miles of driving. if you don't do this, your valves will gum up and seize. if you damage a injector or 4 then you got warranty. even with a catch can, you will still have to do this once a year.

cheers
Old 05-16-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by hiltu
what about water/meth injection? any chance the that could clean it up a bit? Im not sure if the mixture would be hot enough at that point to steam... if it did i think it would be pretty good.
I don't think it will help since I was running meth too

Originally Posted by redstarpa69
the oil catch can solves this problem - its should be the first mod done on the car when someone picks it up from the stealership..
Haha yep I have a oil catch can now

Originally Posted by SPDJNKY
Thanks for posting up the pics. The correct way to use seafoam is to warm engine proper operating temp. suck 1 cup of seafoam thru intake slowly. engine will rev on its own. don't stall the engine. smoke will come out the tail right away. shut engine off when cup is empty. let engine sit for 20 mins. yes 20 mins. then go for a drive till it stops smoking. check engine light will come on and should go away in 10 - 30 miles of driving. if you don't do this, your valves will gum up and seize. if you damage a injector or 4 then you got warranty. even with a catch can, you will still have to do this once a year.

cheers
Your welcome for the pics

Last edited by 20redline; 05-16-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost