2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Zzp front mount intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zzp front mount intercooler

Well got it last week after ordering it on black friday and was stoked.

Finally got time to put it on today with help of david but had a few problems.

I already have the zzp upper intercooler piping but ordered the extra couplers because i thought i needed them well you dont...

secondly i had to dremel out the holes on the bracket for the intercooler to fit correctly

btw if you have a john powell tow hook mounted in the middle of your front bumper it will work but god damn its a tight fit

thirdly they give you a lil piece of silicone tube but if you have the stock cold aka lower pipe you wont need it apparently but damn its a bitch to get the lower stock cold pipe onto the intercooler

pictures will come later still uploading them...

anybody else with any of these same problems or am i the only one???
Old 12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
#cobalthoes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup. I had all of them lol. Plus it does hang down too far and it forsure can take some impacts I have huge dents in mine from rocks i mean .5 humps lol
Old 12-22-2012, 04:50 PM

well they make a smaller one now too but im on john powell yyz v1 springs so i dont have to worry about that lol

with my carbon creations oem style ss lip it hangs down a lil but not much
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM
#cobalthoes

Yeah when I got mine they didn't offer that kinda sucks lol.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Put it on the review section, n get it floe tested
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM

floe tested? wtf is that lol
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM

Flow
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
wow when i put mine on it just bolted right up no issues
Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM

well maybe the quality control is getting bad or i just got a bad one but just wanted to let them know i emailed them my concerns yesterday also well see if they help me out
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt
well maybe the quality control is getting bad or i just got a bad one but just wanted to let them know i emailed them my concerns yesterday also well see if they help me out
How are they supposed to help you out? The install's finished isn't it? What exactly are you wanting from them now?

I bet if you had installed a few other intercoolers and then the ZZP one you'd be raving about how nice the fit is and how easy the install was.

The hoses are hard to get on because the lips on the ZZP end tank piping are tall. This prevents the hoses from coming off but you pretty much have to open the OEM T clamp all the way. A good trick for getting piping/intercooling hoses on and keeping them on is hairspray. The cheaper, the better. At first it acts like lube. Then it acts sort of like a glue but not so bad that you can't take it off again.

Unless the actual holes in the bracket were too small for the screws to go through, you shouldn't have had to dremel anything. It's a tight fit and should be. If you put all of the bolts on just enough to keep them from falling out, you'll have enough play to line all of them up with their respective holes. If you bolt the intercooler to the brackets tightly and then try to install the brackets, it might not line up. If those sliding pieces in the bumper that the brackets bolt to aren't all the way in, it might not line up.

Last edited by casionerd; 12-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
use dry lube... its a lubricant that drys is the best ive found yet especially one made by kent automotive.. hair spray is a poor choice in my opinion as it can be a bitch to get it off sometimes.

BEAD ROLLS ARE A MUST!!!!!!! any intercooler or piping that doesnt come with one in there should be returned imho. like said in the post before its there so even if your clamp loosens up a little it will be harder for the coupler to come off

sorry u had issues op... i never installed one of their intercoolers but have installed their charge piping multiple times. i know a buddy of mine had issues with the intercooler rubbing and it eventually rubbed through the weld but that can happen with anyones stuff.

a tight fit is good but yuo dont want a such a tight fit that your stressing the part to get it to fit. that will cause a break sooner or later. it should fit like a glove.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM

i used windex to lube it up and get them on and yes the actual holes in the brackets were big enough for the holes to go through but not to line up with the bolt holes on the intercooler thats why we had to dremel them out...

and we did put all the bolts on just enough to keep them from falling out but still didnt line up

and how are they suppose to help me out? just by addressing these issues to make sure im not the only one and also to make it more clear about buying the extra hoses since i thought i needed them and obviously i dont...maybe they will let me send them back for some credit
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used windex to lube it up and get them on and yes the actual holes in the brackets were big enough for the holes to go through but not to line up with the bolt holes on the intercooler thats why we had to dremel them out...

and we did put all the bolts on just enough to keep them from falling out but still didnt line up

and how are they suppose to help me out? just by addressing these issues to make sure im not the only one and also to make it more clear about buying the extra hoses since i thought i needed them and obviously i dont...maybe they will let me send them back for some credit
That makes more sense. It looks like each endtank is hand welded on as are the threaded tubes the bolts go into. There's a little room for error there. This is very minor though when it comes to car mods, especially piping. Just chalk anything like this up to "fitment issues."

If you didn't use the hoses they should give you a refund or store credit once they get them back in the shape they sent them out in. You're definitely going to have to pay to ship the parts back to ZZP though.

The hoses are listed as an optional replacement for the OEM hoses.

@ omnitek. The intercooler fits snugly but it has nylon bushings between the intercooler and the bracket allowing a small amount of movement/flex. Even if the IC doesn't move at all, the hoses clamped to each end have more than enough flex. To remove hairspray... just add water. I know it's a ghetto solution but it works great.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM

i work in customer service/sales too and alot of the times people will make parts fit but wont tell us they had a problem and if people dont speak up and say they had a problem nobody will know

im ok with the mods i had to do to make it it fit no biggie

and if i can send the hoses/clamps back for a refund or even store credit that would be cool it would just be nice to know on the website if you do/dont need them you know like a lil note that says

if you have aftermarket hot/cold pipe already you wont need these hoses etc...
Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Our IC page lists the couplers as optional. If they were required, they wouldn't be an option. Either way, we will take them back. That's not a problem.

As far as the fitment, we have not run into this. Did you have the factory bumper brackets moving freely before bolting up the IC? Some people don't realize that they can slide in and out for easier install. Our IC kits typically install very easily.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM

oh i know there optional but didnt know i wouldnt need them and they dont list why and why not they would be needed so i bought them lol

only bad thing is i accidently used one of the clamps from your kit instead of my stock one so i have both silicone couplers but only 3 clamps lol

factory bumper brackets moving freely? you mean the lil black brackets built into the bumper?

If thats what your talking about no...no i did not lol but its all good its on now and looks great
Old 12-23-2012, 03:59 PM

oh i know there optional but didnt know i wouldnt need them and they dont list why and why not they would be needed so i bought them lol

only bad thing is i accidently used one of the clamps from your kit instead of my stock one so i have both silicone couplers but only 3 clamps lol

factory bumper brackets moving freely? you mean the lil black brackets built into the bumper?

If thats what your talking about no...no i did not lol but its all good its on now and looks great
What do you think opitonal means?

Yeah, those little black brackets slide out and you can make your life a lot easier I would imagine by manipulating those.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 PM

i know wtf optional means but my point is it doesnt tell you wtf there for and wtf there not for

i had zzp upper ic pipe already and i bought the OPTIONAL hoses so i didnt need the OPTIONAL hoses for the intercooler and because my lower pipe is still stock aka plastic i didnt need the OPTIONAL hoses for that side either

And i saw those lil black brackets but it didnt look like they moved and it was only one bolt that wouldnt fit and it was on the intercooler not the hole that mounts it to the bumper support
Old 12-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
My ZZP intercooler bolted up with no issues at all. I had trouble pulling the hoses on. I might try the Windex idea when I get a nice day. The Drylube would make me nervous as its just that....dry lube, may or may not help the hoses blow off over time? I'm paranoid about such things.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Plenty of people on here whom have ran, and kept stock couplers and accounts of it throughout posts. Optional says that, they're also sold as upgraded silicone couplers if I'm not mistaken, "upgraded" says it as well.

My brackets required little modification to fit, won't deny that. However it'd taken me longer to type your post than the time I spent making them work.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM

I also use windex as lube.. thought I was the only one! Il give it a shot for car stuff though
Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM

john powell say soap and water other people said hairspray i used windex lol **** it
Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
i know wtf optional means but my point is it doesnt tell you wtf there for and wtf there not for

i had zzp upper ic pipe already and i bought the OPTIONAL hoses so i didnt need the OPTIONAL hoses for the intercooler and because my lower pipe is still stock aka plastic i didnt need the OPTIONAL hoses for that side either

And i saw those lil black brackets but it didnt look like they moved and it was only one bolt that wouldnt fit and it was on the intercooler not the hole that mounts it to the bumper support
They are listed as "replacement" couplers on the product page. It is meant that you add them if you do not wish to or can not use your current couplers. Sorry for the confusion. I'll have someone add some info to explain it better.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry to hear you had issues op. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones, but mine installed with very little efford at all. I didn't need to move the crash bar around at all or anything either.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:46 PM

your not suppose to move the crash bar lol and its all good its on the car now

Quick Reply: Zzp front mount intercooler