2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

330 whp on factory supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
330 whp on factory supercharger

Hello there, I am a big fan of the Cobalt SS, I own a 2003 Tiburon V-6 6spd which has been modded quite extensively, and I have some pretty interesting info that may help you guys get some more out of your car

first a brief rundown of my car....stock my car was slow, it had horrible wheel hop and no traction, it was useless off the line and it really lacked any power........I dynoed bone stock on a loaded dyno at 135 WHP(about 15 below average) I currently dyno 209 whp 190wtq on the same dyno naturaly aspirated......I have also reworked my suspension and now my car hooks up better then 99% of any FWD car I have raced and better then 80% of the RWD's I have raced....My suspension setup is relatively easy and simple but it works well....

The V-6 Tiburon aftermarket uses the identiacal supercharger setup you guys are running, a auqacooled M-62, at 15 PSI we are up to nearly 340 whp on modified heads.....anyways this supercharger has the ability to support the airflow required to produce well over 300 whp, this has been proven nearly a dozen times on the Tiburon............

well I do realise the Cobalt is already running 11-12 psi stock and the supercharger will apparently run out of boost at 15 psi....this is a myth, the supervharger will only oprate up to certain RPM, your PSI is more dependant on your motors ability to breath...My bet is the Coblat SS isn't spinning its SC anywhere near its maximum RPM...I will find out what we Tib;s have run for Blower speed and we can compare it to the Cobalt....this blower can support the air mass required for over 300 whp if the engine can breath it..to fully figure out the max potential of this blower on the Cobalt we need to know the blowers max RPM, in the Tiburon world we have also upgraded the intercooler element with great sucess, look for 340-360 whp dynoes soon on a M62

anywaysafter reading the drag racing threrads it sounds like the Cobalt is suffering from wheehop and tire spin very badly, your 1/4 times are very poor but your trap speeds are very high, you have the power to hit 13's if you could plant.........another thing to evalute along with trap speed is the MPH gained from the 1/8th to the 1/4...this will show you how strong the cars top end is a gain of 20 mph is typical for a mild bolt on RSX

for suspension my setup is pretty simple and we could discuss this later, I hope some of the things I know can help you guys, I really like the Cobalt and thinks its an amazing little car....cheers
Old 10-08-2005, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

what you got done suspension wise!

coilovers, smaller rims w/ tires, engine and tranny mounts? tq braces what do ya got i must know
Old 10-08-2005, 02:18 AM

well I have LSD, second I have solid eurethane motor mounts........then in the fron I run Eibach Pro dampers and springs.....In the back I run a stock damper with a Eibach spring, but I have the rear springs shimmed with a Rubber coil spring booster, this is a rubber ring that sits below the coild spring, this spacer looks like a giant rubber washer, it is about 2" thick...with this setup my rear suspension is stiff and slightly lifted, my front is slightly dropped, for fron tires I run 225/45/17 BFG DR's...on the Rear I run a taller 245/45/17 tire, the taller tire serves 2 purposes, one it fills my wheelwell up nicely, and completely masks the mild lift and two this taller tire also lifts my rear a little higher...........the Car actualy looks incredible, you cant barely notice the back is higher but the car does have a much more agressive stance

the results of these changes are pretty drastic, when I launch now I get zero rear end squat, zero wheelhop and I can really put the power down, the altered angle of attack on the car also helps you get your castor angles closer to zero which is a huge factor with wheelhop

Handling of my car is actualy very good, the steering is much faster and more responsive, the tendancy to understeer is gone completely, but the ride is somewhat harsher......

and lastly your alignment can make a huge difference as well, you want your tires as straight as possible, zero toe in, zero camber and zero castor at launch agle....the importance of alignment is often overlooked, but in reality this alone can shave signifigant time off your 60'

I have a video of me racing and waxing a 350 Z off the line, if anyone wants to host it I will e-mail it and you can see my car outlaunch a 350Z by 4 cars or so.......

also upgraded control arm bushing would be a huge upgrade, Macpherson strut suspensions dont hold up well to forces on the Y axis( direction of the cars movement) the shock of launching will cause alot of deflection in the control arm geometry, which will result in allowing your tire to break traction leading to wheelspin....1/2 peoples battles with traction have alot to do with the cars suspension being able to control the tire......RSX's and Honda's use double wishbone, which will not allow any deflection in the Y axis and will generaly be alot more stable at launching then a Macpherson strut

If you ever have your Cobalt up on a 4 point hoist take a medium sized pry bar and apply some pressure to your control arm, you will see imediately how weak the control arm os actualy mounted, the center pivot bushing will usualy allow the control arm to move up and down about 1". a set of upgraded bushings will increase stability drastically,

Warning....drag radials on stock suspension and bushings can be extremely hard on your car, if your suspension is weak and cannot control your current tires drag radials will wheel hop even worse, especialy Nitto's

With my setup we have alot more weight on the front end, we have eliminated rear end squat and out alignment is pointing the tires straigh ahead and your control arms will be stable enough to keep high RPM drag radial launches in check, you will be able to plant power like you would never have beleived
Old 10-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Thumbs up

nice bro if you have broadband use putfile.com or yousendit.com or email me and ill host it
Old 10-08-2005, 02:35 AM

I am sending the video,

the video is shot at night, the image is incredably dark...the 350Z has a Popcharger, catback exhast with cats and resonators removed...on a roll race he was pulling me slightly, when he was stock i would pull on him....but off the line I wax him every time.......
Old 10-08-2005, 02:42 AM

Thumbs up

iight ill be waiting
Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 AM

I sent the video but its taking forever, I may have to compress it somehow....I have to crash now so if it doesn't send i will fix it tomorow
Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 AM

tibby's are nice cars , they got some great seats too , lol

there is 2-3 s/c'd V6's running around here in phx , 2 of the guys i actually talk to both run in the 13's , 1 auto and 1 6spd

nice info you posted
Old 10-08-2005, 02:53 AM

im pretty sure 225 tires compared to 245 tires means they are wider, not taller...please explain?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:02 AM

225 and 245 are a measurment from rim edge to rim edge, the 45 is the percentage of the tire that is sidewall, so a 245/45 is taller as well as wider then a 225/45, the 245's are about an inch taller then the 225's......I will have to compress the video tomorow..the file was too large to send
Old 10-08-2005, 03:20 AM

Thumbs up

aiight i will put it up asap once i recieve it