2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

airplane application/o2 usage, VALID IDEAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airplane application/o2 usage, VALID IDEAS

i'm glad there are still some people reading this, because i'm still researching different dry sump oil systems, i haven't found one that i believe will be compatible with the ecotec....if anyone has any input or direction towards one that IS compatible i'd greatly appreciate it.
I've been playing around with different ideas of mine to modify the engine to do what i want....now i thought of something i thought would be a great idea on my own, however when i hit the internet with the idea i found that alot of people already thought of it...
use of bottled oxygen instead of N2O (with or without it, theoretically)
now i know quite a bit about various gasses and i'm well aware that oxygen is extremely volatile in it's purest forms...and at first i thought of pure oxygen usage with a CRAZY increase in fuel injection rate, but quickly ruled this out because of oxygen's tendency catalyze anything with a combustion temp under 3500F (which is damn near everything)

HOWEVERRRRR

what i'm thinking is this:

drill, tap and thread a port somewhere on the intake after the supercharger/turbo, you could incorporate a valve into the intake, to which you would attach your O2 system line....now i'm not suggesting you throw the valve open and try to run your engine on pure oxygen.....and i haven't actually looked to see what the ACTUAL oxygen percentage is in normal atmospheric conditions BUT i THINK it's around 12%? (assuming i'm right about 12%) what if we were to regulate the oxygen injection system to raise the oxygen content of the air to, say.....20%? 30%? wouldn't that be SIGNIFICANTLY increasing HP (of course you'd have to increase fuel consumption quite a bit) but i know from working in a weld shop for a good many years that buying pure oxygen is alot cheaper than buying N2O from a race shop, per capita, plus i think the process of just incorporating a higher percentage of oxygen into your intake instead of running an N2O injection system

and i forsee with my argument some people are going to post about uneven O2 molecular distribution in the intake, so i'll try to modify my idea right here....
place the valve in-line with the cold air intake instead of after the supercharger/turbocharger and i predict that your mixture after it passes through all that piping and through your super/turbo that it'll be sufficiently mixed for my tastes...

anyways shoot some ideas let's see what we can come up with....i don't see extreme expenses involved with my idea, so i figured i'd do it this weekend if i get a high approval rating from the other great minds on here...
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't the ECOTEC build book have one listed? Its been years but I could have sworn.....
Old 03-25-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARE do a complete dry sump system for an Ecotect that Gary Armstrong (www.drysump.com) developed for the Time Attack Cobalt in 2005. Its excellent. Thats the one in the GM build book.

Oh deer my nitrous bottle is mt...

Last edited by qwikredline; 03-25-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dizenexxus
i'm glad there are still some people reading this, because i'm still researching different dry sump oil systems, i haven't found one that i believe will be compatible with the ecotec....if anyone has any input or direction towards one that IS compatible i'd greatly appreciate it.
I've been playing around with different ideas of mine to modify the engine to do what i want....now i thought of something i thought would be a great idea on my own, however when i hit the internet with the idea i found that alot of people already thought of it...
use of bottled oxygen instead of N2O (with or without it, theoretically)
now i know quite a bit about various gasses and i'm well aware that oxygen is extremely volatile in it's purest forms...and at first i thought of pure oxygen usage with a CRAZY increase in fuel injection rate, but quickly ruled this out because of oxygen's tendency catalyze anything with a combustion temp under 3500F (which is damn near everything)

HOWEVERRRRR

what i'm thinking is this:

drill, tap and thread a port somewhere on the intake after the supercharger/turbo, you could incorporate a valve into the intake, to which you would attach your O2 system line....now i'm not suggesting you throw the valve open and try to run your engine on pure oxygen.....and i haven't actually looked to see what the ACTUAL oxygen percentage is in normal atmospheric conditions BUT i THINK it's around 12%? (assuming i'm right about 12%) what if we were to regulate the oxygen injection system to raise the oxygen content of the air to, say.....20%? 30%? wouldn't that be SIGNIFICANTLY increasing HP (of course you'd have to increase fuel consumption quite a bit) but i know from working in a weld shop for a good many years that buying pure oxygen is alot cheaper than buying N2O from a race shop, per capita, plus i think the process of just incorporating a higher percentage of oxygen into your intake instead of running an N2O injection system

and i forsee with my argument some people are going to post about uneven O2 molecular distribution in the intake, so i'll try to modify my idea right here....
place the valve in-line with the cold air intake instead of after the supercharger/turbocharger and i predict that your mixture after it passes through all that piping and through your super/turbo that it'll be sufficiently mixed for my tastes...

anyways shoot some ideas let's see what we can come up with....i don't see extreme expenses involved with my idea, so i figured i'd do it this weekend if i get a high approval rating from the other great minds on here...
Hold the phone....

21% O2 in the air

If you increase the % of O2 by even a few percent it is dangerous as hell. O2 will combust with ANY type of hydrocarbon - no ignition source needed. If you run 20-30% more O2 in your engine - you essientally have a cutting torch for an engine - you cannot run pure O2 in your engine - it will blow apart in your face or you will melt the entire block. Hence the need and healthy market for N20.