2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

coolant leak, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coolant leak, help!

Ok so i have a coolant but im trying to figure out if its 100% the problem. I snapped the banjo bolt ontop of the valve cover that connects the coolant line to the valve cover. Orderd a new one from the dealership but its on like 1-2 months back order...they have none in north america :S. So i found a replacement one for now but its about 1mm to short...the threads dont go deep enough to get it torqued down enough so abit of coolant comes out...not alot but just enough to notice it.

However i dont think that is the issue im having now. I got in a car accident about 2 months ago...got a new front bumper, stock heat exchanger and headlights. Although i think they missed a part that was damaged. I cant go to that same dealership to get them to fix it because i moved across the country. So i wanna run this by you guys and see what u think...then ill take it to the dealership and get them to replace it if its the part thats causing the issue...doubt it will be under warrenty, but we will see.

Ok so heres the part. There is a grey part, right of the coolant pump(in the picture). It looks like it is coming apart. In the pictures below you can see where the two parts connect, you can also see there is a lighter shade of grey around that spot where the part should be. Thats where it looks like the coolant is coming from. What is this part? I checked about 30mins ago to see if the coolant was comnig from the banjo bolt, running down the side of the engine and just running down this part..but it doesnt look like it. This part seems to be leaking coolant...the wind is also pushing the coolant onto the oil pan from the way it looks. Any ideas? Like i said i cant be 100% this is where its coming from...part of me thinks it is the coolant from the banjo bolt but another part of me thinks its this part.

From above the engine.

Above the engine again but closer.

Coolant pump and the leaking part

2 parts connect...looks like its seperated.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

bump...would like some info if anyone could help me. On other news...i went to the dealership to see if the banjo bolt is in. Their supplier is out of stock...and their suppliers, suppliers r out of stock. So either 2 options can happen. A. Either dealership orders me in a hole new coolant line that comes with the bolt ($150 + tax) or B. They order the build straight from a gm factory that makes cobalts. I picked option B....not paying $150+ for a part that i only need a bolt that is like $5
Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the air conditioner compressor.. it has no coolant (dexcool) in it.

At least i think that's what you're talking about..LOL.. put arrows in the picts or something :P
Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm too JDM for you

ac compressor dude, not a water pump
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM

yes, most likely your coolant is running down onto the AC compressor as shown.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to do clean your whole engine w/steam or degreaser and hi-pressure.
get all the previously leaked out coolant off of everywhere. Once it's completely
dry run your motor let it get hot and pressurized then watch for leak.
Often when there is a leak the fluids get blown around by air entering the engine bay
while driving , got to clean it up to see where it's from. If you use hi-pressure water leave your car running and avoid direct blasts to electrical stuffs.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

yea thats what im planning on doing when that damn banjo bolt comes in. But thanks for telling me what part it is...at least now i know that doesnt have to be replaced.