2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

difficult decision...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face difficult decision...

ok guys, i got a choice to make... help me out, will ya?

2006 SS S/C with 12kmiles

or

2006 Redline with performance package (aka recaro's, LSD, gunmetal wheels)
with 8k miles

is the Redline worth the extra grand? any real tuning differences other than intake design? anything to be worried about? i really had my mind set on the SS, but without the LSD i'm a little dissapointed.. your thoughts/opinions/flames?

thanks in advance, fellas!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 PM

go with the Redline. I think the LSD is a must. andi like the Redlines Recaros
Old 12-31-2006, 05:45 PM

get the RL
Old 12-31-2006, 05:50 PM

I'd say go Redline. The LSD is an important determining factor, and I like the Redline interior.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:50 PM

thanks alot guys. i was leaning toward the Redline... is there any tuning differences or weird things i should be aware of? ive been researching and lurking on this site for a few weeks, but havent read up on any differences between the 2 models. i do know that cold-air applications differ.. anything else? will exhausts bolt up? too short or long? thanks again guys!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 PM

I have had both cars (i still have the SS). The question is whether or not you want to own a Saturn. Redline or not it still badged a Saturn and the car will be worth less in the future as far as depreciation goes. However after saying this, i still think you should buy the Saturn. I had a Redline and it was awesome. The coolest part was that noone knows what it is. You have the whole sleeper feel to it. As for interiors the Cobalt is nicer. However, the center-mounted gauge cluster on the RL is nice. They both have good looking exteriors they are just different.
I am fairly certain that you can tune them the same way as far as HP Tuners goes but i am under the impression that they have different factory tunes. The answer to your exhaust question is that they are similar but not identical. Good luck with your decision, either will be great. But, if you asked me i would get the RL. Did i confuse you? Maybe? Sorry. haha
Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
I have had both cars (i still have the SS). The question is whether or not you want to own a Saturn. Redline or not it still badged a Saturn and the car will be worth less in the future as far as depreciation goes. However after saying this, i still think you should buy the Saturn. I had a Redline and it was awesome. The coolest part was that noone knows what it is. You have the whole sleeper feel to it. As for interiors the Cobalt is nicer. However, the center-mounted gauge cluster on the RL is nice. They both have good looking exteriors they are just different.
I am fairly certain that you can tune them the same way as far as HP Tuners goes but i am under the impression that they have different factory tunes. The answer to your exhaust question is that they are similar but not identical. Good luck with your decision, either will be great. But, if you asked me i would get the RL. Did i confuse you? Maybe? Sorry. haha
aww how wrong you are friend.

The limited production of the car, plus its mainly dent resistant designs makes its longevity an extreme factor in future worth. Not to mention saturn is gm's # 2 brand now behind chevrolet. In conjuction with the fact its SOOOO EFFING fun to see someones face as you BLOW by them in a saturn lol....you'll never want to drve another car.

i was on the fence too when i was looking around...the redline comes stock with recaros, but the comp wheels are SICK nice, and the boost guage/tach ladder is a nice compliment, not to mention the lsd would be more then worth the extra 1000$ ... seriously its a no brainer.

p.s. the saturn is a 4 door coupe.... i.e cheaper on insurance
Old 12-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

just for the love of god, if you get the redline, your first mod HAS TO BE getting eibachs or something to drop it down to earth.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM

i would get the RL for the seats and the LSD
Old 01-01-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by mattyfinch
aww how wrong you are friend.

The limited production of the car, plus its mainly dent resistant designs makes its longevity an extreme factor in future worth. Not to mention saturn is gm's # 2 brand now behind chevrolet. In conjuction with the fact its SOOOO EFFING fun to see someones face as you BLOW by them in a saturn lol....you'll never want to drve another car.

i was on the fence too when i was looking around...the redline comes stock with recaros, but the comp wheels are SICK nice, and the boost guage/tach ladder is a nice compliment, not to mention the lsd would be more then worth the extra 1000$ ... seriously its a no brainer.

p.s. the saturn is a 4 door coupe.... i.e cheaper on insurance
I had the Saturn i know what the depreciation factor is like first hand. Other than that, i have no problem with the car. That is the only thing i disagree with you on. Other than that you got it right. Saturn is up and coming but they still unfortunately get a bad rap currently.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

if you are needing a Daily Driver, I'd go with the Redline, the Cobalt's interior IMO is much better than the Redline's however, and a factory Pioneer unit Vs. a Delco unit? If you don't mind the cheaper feel of the Saturn's interior then as I stated, I'd go with the Saturn. The best feature of the Saturn (that would be nice if offered on the Balt) is the rear-half doors. I don't have any children nor do I have anyone ride in the back seats of my car that often, but having that half-door to throw school books, groceries, etc in is a godsend. Also from what I've heard, the doors on the cobalt are about as big as the Camaro doors. Either car is a great choice however.

Oh, depending on how much each car is going for, I can get you a supplier deal on a NEW Saturn or Chevy which may cost you about the same for a brand new car. Interest rates on a new car are probably a bit better than on a used car too. PM me if you'd like a quote on a new Balt or Ion with the supplier discount.

Last edited by TXRLU; 01-01-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM

god i want a RL i tried so hard to get one but couldnt get 1
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM

Hmm. Im suprised to see so many SS owners gushing over a Saturn. Personally I hate the interior, and the exterior. I gues I just hate the RL.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by βКˉSuPerCharged
Hmm. Im suprised to see so many SS owners gushing over a Saturn. Personally I hate the interior, and the exterior. I gues I just hate the RL.
Kinda funny considering they're practically the same cars.......So you hate your balt to some extent?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have driven quite a few cars with LSD, as well as an SS with LSD..any i have an SS without. I see no purpose for it unless you autocross. I personally will never autocross. It would be a waste of money. Also, w/o lsd, both of my tires still spin during burnouts!

i wish i had recaros though... the leather seats in the cobalts SUCK. they wrinkle and get ugly way too easy. After 1000 miles, my drivers seat already looked like ****.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 PM

actually the 2 cars dont look very much alike even though they are based off the same chassis
Old 01-02-2007, 02:36 PM

hey guys, thanks for your opinions... pretty strong for the RL! we will see here soon what happens.. im selling my car this week so i will have one or the other here by the end of the month, im sure!

one thing that hasnt been answered really, other then exhaust, and intake, is are there any other technical drivetrain differences between the two? a legitamate tune difference? im loving this bored so far, lots of tech information.

im coming from the VW world, and the forums over there (the vortex) is insane when it comes to information, or anything at all. im glad i found an equivalent for these cars.

believe it or not, this board seriously influenced my decision to get one!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:45 PM

glad ya like it here...id go with the redline as well, didnt i read they had stronger axles?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:45 PM

my leather seats in the balt suck ass IMO. Go with the redline. After I get done with the mods that I want, I am definitely swapping out these seats for some recaros. Hoping to pick some up from totalled cobalts down the line.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Depending on where you live; with wheather conditions, body panels may gap out and tighten up.. or you may have some body creaks.. and in the winter, the body gets all frail.. at least here they do.. the body gets all really hard and i get scared of these things.. my sister has owned two, she's on her second little RL thinggy.. sweet car, just too frail for me..
Old 01-02-2007, 03:40 PM

People around where I live make fun of me for drivng my cobalt, by calling it an ion... so you're going to hear alot more crap depending where you are. It's not that big of a deal, considering it's faster than most people would believe. Just expect some teasing with a RL