2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Engine Knock At Idle .....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine Knock At Idle .....

Well just like the title says guys. My 06 SS/SC has almost 30,000 miles on it. And when i first start it up all sounds fine. But once its wormed up and up to temp. There sounds like there is a small knock coming from the engine at idle only. Its pretty faint. But too me it sounds like excessevive cam noise and or the crank knocking. Now maybe the noise has always been there sense day one. I'm not sure. I just noticed it a week ago or so. The stock injectors i had b4 my stage 2 where really loud. They ticked alot, the soleniods that is. And maybe it masked the noise abit. The S2 injectors are much quiter. What i am wondering is if any one else has a faint engine noise at idle ? Mine is faint, you have to kinda listen for it. But its there. It deffinetly isnt in the valve train. And i know roots type blowers can be abit noisey. But it does not sound to me like its coming from the blower. I'm kinda scarded the crank is gone spin a rod or somethong someday !! I dont beat my car very much and i change the oil often. Just kinda wonderin if anyone else has any engine noises like the one mentioned. As the rpm's increase i dont hear the noise anything past about dead idle. Am i just pareniod ?? Or does anyone else have such a noise !! Thanks for your input guys !!

P.s - Other then being hard on gas, the car works fine !
Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06-SS/SC
Well just like the title says guys. My 06 SS/SC has almost 30,000 miles on it. And when i first start it up all sounds fine. But once its wormed up and up to temp. There sounds like there is a small knock coming from the engine at idle only. Its pretty faint. But too me it sounds like excessevive cam noise and or the crank knocking. Now maybe the noise has always been there sense day one. I'm not sure. I just noticed it a week ago or so. The stock injectors i had b4 my stage 2 where really loud. They ticked alot, the soleniods that is. And maybe it masked the noise abit. The S2 injectors are much quiter. What i am wondering is if any one else has a faint engine noise at idle ? Mine is faint, you have to kinda listen for it. But its there. It deffinetly isnt in the valve train. And i know roots type blowers can be abit noise. But it does not sound to me like its coming from the blower. I'm kinda scarded the crank is gone spin a rod or somethong someday !! I dont beat my car very much and i change the oil often. Just kinda wonderin if anyone else has any engine noises like the one mentioned. As the rpm's increase i dont hear the noise anything past about dead idle. Am i just pareniod ?? Thnaks for your input guys !!
My blower used to rattle ALL THE TIME. I could hear it with the windows up.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both of my SS/SCs have a faint knock at idle (when cold) but it goes away once you drive it.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
Both of my SS/SCs have a faint knock at idle (when cold) but it goes away once you drive it.

See, mines oppisote. Not there when cold. Appears once warmed up ! Thats what bothers me !!

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
My blower used to rattle ALL THE TIME. I could hear it with the windows up.

I wonder if it could be the blower ? I dont think it is. But i could be wrong. Im leaning towards the cams or something on the serp belt. Ive heard crank knock. And its nasty. Mines not that hollow or loud. But , there is a knock comin from her.

Bump !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by QuickSilver_SS; 05-12-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** i hear mine kind of knock too, but its weird because it will be there one day and not the next. I dont really know for sure where it is coming from, but i know for sure it is not the blower.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by MarqueDo7BabyBalt
**** i hear mine kind of knock too, but its weird because it will be there one day and not the next. I dont really know for sure where it is coming from, but i know for sure it is not the blower.

Thats basically the dame as mine. Sometimes it won't even do it at all. One day it does and the next it may not. It;s weird like that. Any thoughts ?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM

Maybe what you're hearing is the lifters. My friend had hit lifters slapping against the cam and it sounded like piston knock, but you could only hear it at idle, and only when it was warmed up. Not absolutely sure if it's your problem, but it's a good chance.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Black05
Maybe what you're hearing is the lifters. My friend had hit lifters slapping against the cam and it sounded like piston knock, but you could only hear it at idle, and only when it was warmed up. Not absolutely sure if it's your problem, but it's a good chance.

This was more along the lines of what i was thinking ! My lifters do tick slightly in the morning for about 45 seconds. Maybe a minute , then they finally pump up and dont make anymore nouise. Then the faint knock happens after its tottally warmed up. If this is what my noise is, should i be worried ?? My dealer says its all routine noises for ALOT of lsj's !! Is my car going to blow up on me ??
Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 AM

just got the same noise inspected, under warranty dont worry, tas most likely your belt tensioner. thats what thwey said mine was... it goes in the shop for a new one on thursday, ill let you know if it works
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine ticks and knocks alttile when its warming up but after that its fine. I also took it to the dealer and they said it was normal for these motors lol
Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by INFE
mine ticks and knocks alttile when its warming up but after that its fine. I also took it to the dealer and they said it was normal for these motors lol

Mine said the same thing. The funny part is the noise comes and goes. Its more frequently there then not. But every once in awhile it dissappears for a bit ! Makes me angry and worry that my balt is gonna blow up on me no matter how much i baby it. I'd be ok if the noise went away after it was warmed up. But thats when it appears.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Bump !!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Premium Member

Mine said the same thing. The funny part is the noise comes and goes. Its more frequently there then not. But every once in awhile it dissappears for a bit ! Makes me angry and worry that my balt is gonna blow up on me no matter how much i baby it. I'd be ok if the noise went away after it was warmed up. But thats when it appears.

Timing chain tensioner , i had a friends who had a bad one and it would come and go . They ended up replacing the tensioner , guides and chain.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rukkee
Timing chain tensioner , i had a friends who had a bad one and it would come and go . They ended up replacing the tensioner , guides and chain.
I am a GM tech and my best friend drives an 06 SS/SC G85 with a rattle/tick noise coming from the timing chain side. Well needless to say I thought it was the typical tensioner and it was (seized fully extended)...... but that was just the start! The car had a broken cam guide bolt in the head after i put the tensioner on (needed a head). Then since the tensioner got fixed it relaxed the cahin slightly and when it did that it jumped timing becuase the guide bolt was sheered off in the head. Then i took the head off and all that good stuff and found the valve had hit the pistons but only slightly. So i took the front cover off to check things out and this is the worst part! The timing chain guide inside the block was sheered off also and i found what was left of the bolt laying in the oil pan. Not to mention that the chain was all scored, the harmonic balancer was cracked open where it lines up with the keyway from the crankshaft, but also the keyway on the crankshaft was twisted and almost broken off!

Moral of my story here is get the tick looked at ASAP because timing chain tensioner are a TYPICAL problem on ALL cobalts. There is a new design tensioner because of the issues with the old one

Now I basically have to put an entire engine in the 06 SS/SC G85 (would cost someone with no warrenty left around $3700 for the complete motor alone minus labor)!

But with all the time the car is down it gave us some time to order some goodies for the brand new motor.

1.) Cobalt Addiction Stage 4
2.) Injen CAI
3.) Cobalt Addiction Heat Exchanger
4.) B&M Short Throw
5.) Ingalls Torque Dampner

Hopefully all these parts will make a nice addition to the brand new motor!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Saltbager
I am a GM tech and my best friend drives an 06 SS/SC G85 with a rattle/tick noise coming from the timing chain side. Well needless to say I thought it was the typical tensioner and it was (seized fully extended)...... but that was just the start! The car had a broken cam guide bolt in the head after i put the tensioner on (needed a head). Then since the tensioner got fixed it relaxed the cahin slightly and when it did that it jumped timing becuase the guide bolt was sheered off in the head. Then i took the head off and all that good stuff and found the valve had hit the pistons but only slightly. So i took the front cover off to check things out and this is the worst part! The timing chain guide inside the block was sheered off also and i found what was left of the bolt laying in the oil pan. Not to mention that the chain was all scored, the harmonic balancer was cracked open where it lines up with the keyway from the crankshaft, but also the keyway on the crankshaft was twisted and almost broken off!

Moral of my story here is get the tick looked at ASAP because timing chain tensioner are a TYPICAL problem on ALL cobalts. There is a new design tensioner because of the issues with the old one

Now I basically have to put an entire engine in the 06 SS/SC G85 (would cost someone with no warrenty left around $3700 for the complete motor alone minus labor)!

But with all the time the car is down it gave us some time to order some goodies for the brand new motor.

1.) Cobalt Addiction Stage 4
2.) Injen CAI
3.) Cobalt Addiction Heat Exchanger
4.) B&M Short Throw
5.) Ingalls Torque Dampner

Hopefully all these parts will make a nice addition to the brand new motor!

Oh krud !!! I hope thats not what mine is doing !! My local dealer tells me its the timing chain tensioner and that there is nothing wrong with my car. But i dont know ! I never noticed the noise before. Also the dealer tells me here in Canada there si no TSB out for the tensioner and there is no updated part ! Weird !!!! Guess all i can do is wait and see what happens next !! Not so cool !!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Oh krud !!! I hope thats not what mine is doing !! My local dealer tells me its the timing chain tensioner and that there is nothing wrong with my car. But i dont know ! I never noticed the noise before. Also the dealer tells me here in Canada there si no TSB out for the tensioner and there is no updated part ! Weird !!!! Guess all i can do is wait and see what happens next !! Not so cool !!
Nope there is .... the is the bulletin number here in the US PIP4014. The new tensioner does not have an o-ring on it and the plunger mechanism is different. Maybe that will help