2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Experienced Knock Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tube
I've done it too, and now that I look back on it, I can't believe I was that stupid.

Unfortunately, when you do this on a public road, you're endangering not only yourself but those around you.

I don't see why it's so hard to go to a sanctioned race track and do it...
Thanks for all the advice. But i don't really think it is needed anymore. It is hard to go to a sanctioned race, they aren't everyday you know, and we do race every chance we get. Please just let us know when your in phoenix and we will make sure to drive 55.

Kate
Old 07-21-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestly i think az is the safest place to go those speeds. hell its not even double the speed limit, and the roads there are the best ive ever driven on and ive been to a few places with nice roads.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by marzbarz
first of all your intercooler water cant boil cuz it uses your engine radiator water to cool =the intake charge.. water and antifreeze cant boil or freeze.. make sure your useing 93 octane or higher on your car, knocking usally means low octane, heat and presssure.

You need to take some 8th grade science classes buddy Every substance in the universe can boil and freeze. They all just vary in temperature.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
I was driving today, and was doing an acceleration from 70mph, trying to reach top speed, but I experienced a knock in 4th gear at around 5500rpms. When it knocked, it sounded like a hose blew loose, because the boost dropped too (I could see it out of the corner of my eye), and power stuttered for a brief moment and then all resumed as normal. We're talking not even a second. I am running 15lbs of boost, and using the Intense Stage 3 kit.

I still continued to push it. And stopped just a little over 140mph, and took a picture. I was hoping to hit 145-150mph, and I know it's possible, but it is just too hot here in Phoenix. After my run I pulled over to look under the hood, and my intercooler fluid was BOILING! That is probably why I had knock, I doubt the intercooler works at all with boiling liquid running through it.

Should I change the fluid out to Red Line Water Wetter? That should be able to withstand more heat right?

I was running it hard tonight, so I know the supercharger and all the coolant was pretty hot to begin. Not to mention it's still 103* outside at 11pm.

Here's the pic I took. Sorry for the blur. I was using my camera-phone, and driving 140+mph so I needed to look at the road.

how the hell did you hear knocking at 140+mph...???
Old 07-21-2006, 02:19 AM

lower you air intake temps (run at night or wrap your intake, lower intercooler temps) or retard your timing at high IAT.. it will run a tiny bit slower but no crazy knock. I'd suggest doing both actually...

also note our cars knock all the time and we dont hear it and it will reduce the lifetime. you should be ******* freaking out about audiable knock...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigworm
lower you air intake temps (run at night or wrap your intake, lower intercooler temps) or retard your timing at high IAT.. it will run a tiny bit slower but no crazy knock. I'd suggest doing both actually...

also note our cars knock all the time and we dont hear it and it will reduce the lifetime. you should be ******* freaking out about audiable knock...
I already have a wrapped intake, and I am currently workin gon replacing the intercooler liquid with a redline mixture.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
how the hell did you hear knocking at 140+mph...???
I heard it because it sounded like a hose blowing loose, and I lost all boost for a split second as the guage dropped, and power stumbled, then everything came back strong, and it acted normal.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by black06ss
honestly i think az is the safest place to go those speeds. hell its not even double the speed limit, and the roads there are the best ive ever driven on and ive been to a few places with nice roads.
We really do have nice roads here. Our freeway system is nicer than our race tracks, and appears to be better kept. we do race everyweek, but on a track you can only really hit 110 mph in thses cars. I was just trying to get a picture of a topped out speedo, because I haven't seen one yet, and only know of David doing 155mph, and noone doing 160+mph.

Although So-Cal has a 240+ mph cobalt that they raced at Bonnevile but it is a 800hp 2.2L Turbo with an SS body.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 PM

Yea AZ has some nice roads ut there are streaches of interstate that you honestly put your lif on the line driving on. OR had... back in '05 I drove down there helping some guys move with trucks and a trailer adn the lead truck broke an axle clean off. This was Feb-march timeframe too. Was raining there really hard adn it was really cold for AZ. Come to find out the pothole he ran over was over a foot deep and caused a semi to jackknife.

Oh and btw, running that hard with it being that hot was stupid. I'd be taking the head and replacing the gasket if I were you.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by tube
I've done it too, and now that I look back on it, I can't believe I was that stupid.

Unfortunately, when you do this on a public road, you're endangering not only yourself but those around you.

I don't see why it's so hard to go to a sanctioned race track and do it...

love what ur saying man...friend died cuz of imature little brat racing his moms civic..