2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Got to drive EnufPwr's Cobalt...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got to drive EnufPwr's Cobalt...

It was a great ride. Thank you Darren for the chance to drive it. I went 14.8 @104.6 MPH. I obviously took it very very easy out of the hole, but as the MPH shows, she had some nice power.

The HPtuners kit is great, and I think I will be getting one this summer. It seemed rather easy to use, and overall would make a big difference on the car, even just the little things. I was suprised how driveable the car was with all that power. On stock tires, traction was on a minor issue in first gear. It didn't feel any different until you got on it, and then it felt fantastic. Plus, the eaton sounded wonderful and so did the corsa exhaust. Overall, I was very impressed with his car and the mods he has done.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:02 PM

Glad you liked it.... You should have made more pass's to get use to it. The track did suck today, I couldn't get any traction. The car performed great as far as MPH goes..... ran 13.7-13.8's all day at 106mph...LOL.... Should have ran brackets...Traction was an issue. Stock tire/rims=== 2.3-2.5 60ft's. Didn't have the Hoosiers this time at the track. Too much power for the stock rim/tire combo. Looks like I have to figure out something else now like a drag radial for the street.

As far as HPtuner stuff.. We both were a little disappointed on what happend today when I tried to set up your fans/rev limit change. I'm sorry for a simple mistake that I now know what not to do... I tried to help out by raising the rev limiter for him and setting his fans to cool the car, but what turned into a simple moddification resulted in a nightmare. The car won't recognize the key after a reprogramming.

Word to anyone who makes changes in HPtuners... NEVER LEAVE THE DOORS OPEN WHEN WRITING YOUR CALIBRATION. YOU'LL HAVE TO RELINK THE VATS SYSTEM AND THE LASTEST BETA WON'T DO IT. LEFT US AT THE TRACK WITH A CAR THAT WON'T START.

Sorry again about the VATS system stuff. We had the VAT's light on the ECM after we wrote a calibration. The system won't recognize the key.

I read on the help board that
"Do not disrupt the programming session.
Do not open vehicle doors or use vehicle accessories.
Do not program vehicles with battery voltage lower than 11.5 Volts
Do not program vehicles while connected to car battery charger. "

OPPS... since we had the doors open while writting a calibration, the ECM had the VATS system activated and caused an error.

I read this in the help section:

"Write VCM" failed and now my car won't start, what do I do?

Don't panic. An error during the write process has occurred.
Follow these guidelines:
Make sure vehicle has sufficient battery voltage for programming.
Make sure laptop has sufficient power.
Make sure all communications cables are connected firmly.
DO NOT pull your VCM's fuse or disconnect battery power in attempt to correct the problem. (opps... we did that)
Restart VCM Editor and open up the same file you wrote to the VCM when the error occurred. It is very important that you use the same file. Try to "Write VCM" again. (It would write the same file, but since the doors were open the VATS system was active and locked out the ECM... ..)
If the problem persists please contact customer support using these instructions Contacting Customer Support.

Well...the lastest beta version... doesn't support VATS relink yet. We tried, but it had an error... possibly this will be fixed with the full version.

The case learn feature in HPtuners won't work because the TPS voltage was too high. We manually set it closed but it still read 11%... which was too high. (Edit.... Car has to be started and running in idle and temps need to be 80 and up before this will happen)...

Last edited by ENUFPWR; 05-28-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:07 PM

lets see some pics of the car
Old 05-27-2006, 06:44 PM

I program mine with the doors open all the time
Old 05-27-2006, 06:49 PM

It's because his is red, the red ones are always faster.

But I guess they're also harder to tune
Old 05-27-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by FAST06SS
I program mine with the doors open all the time
Must just have been a fluke with us or something. The VAT's system activated and won't let us start the car. The dash symbol was blinking on and stuck on with the key forward. We tried all kind of stuff to get the car to start, but no luck.

Thinking of pulling the ECM fuse.... and trying to rewrite it again. It would error now when I link up to the ecm when trying to read the calibration. It will do a write calibration only, but won't start.

Any ideas Rob?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
It's because his is red, the red ones are always faster.

But I guess they're also harder to tune
Tuning is fine.... Rob's calibration for the 60lbs/ 2.5 is working great... TRACTION..is another story.

The problem we had with the ecm is on 03gobluecobra Cobalt SS, the programming went ok, but couldn't start the car afterwards. Possible VATS error?

Last edited by ENUFPWR; 05-27-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:21 PM

oh well, I think everything will be covered under warranty anyway, so looks like no big deal. I guess I'll just be stuck driving the cobra for 2 days. Strange that the doors open would cause that trouble.

BTW, I checked out the video of your 9 second TA. Pretty sweet!