2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

I/C Pump Limits

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I/C Pump Limits

I am currently running the OTT h/e with the "stu mod", but I'm looking for some better results at the track. I've decided to fab basically an ice box in the trunk of the car this way to get the water as cold as possible before it goes back to the intake mani. My question is whether or not you guys think the stock pump is capable of pushing and pulling fluid through about 8-10 feet of 3/4" i.d. heater to hose to get it back and forth to the tank. Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM

sure why not
Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 PM

That's a lot of extra weight in water that's probably not necessary.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:38 PM

i would think you would get better results with an ice box under the hood than 10 miles of hose from front to back but im no expert just my 2 cents
Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 AM

no not a good idea. ull probably burn the pump out. i dont know the exact specs on the pump but thats alot of distance to travel. my pump started acting up after useing stock and aftermarket h/e at the same time its too much resistance.

also just go buy the coolant resi from autozone for 10 bucks fill a gallon of water sit it in the fridge overnight then filler before the race. (hatrickstu mod) it works like a charm for iat2

ohh and also u would need like 20 feet of heater hose and have to run it through the car too many chances for leaks and kinks.

Last edited by wtpcobaltss; 05-27-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Zoomer swears by this pump, and I think it would push. But honestly, thats overkill.

Ice isn't going to be much colder in the trunk on a hot day at the track that it will be under the hood.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No issue with pump flow, gains would be questionable.

You'd want to check IATs now and do some math. Adding 10 pounds, you'd need to gain 1HP. Add 20#'s, you'd have to gain 2HP, etc.

Weight in the back ruins launching to. Could be worth it but I doubt it if you already have an added HE
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM

ok well I wasn't going to run the lines inside the car I will be running them underneather the vehicle from back to front. I know meziere has a pretty hd pump that is rated at 20 gpm rather than the 8 with the stock pump and its pretty reasonable in price. I went to the track this past weekend and with the mods you see in my sig. the car would heatsoak like crazy just sitting in the lanes. I do have hptuners and was logging about mid 150's with the engine off and pump on sitting in the lanes. When I launch the car the iat2 will go down to about 130 and then steadily increase to about 150 by the end of the track. My idea with the icebox in the back is that I will always have a steady flow of cold water running to the manifold rather than just a gallon by dumping that in. This way when the water gets back to the box in the trunk it immediatley gets chilled back down and then pumped back to the mani. This way I could leave the pump on in the lanes and take as much heat out of the mani and blower before I stage the car.

I was also thinking about possibly doing some small electric fans like they use on tranny coolers and mounting them to the back of the h/e to a switch so I can turn the fans and the pump on this way to bring the cool air through the h/e. Not sure if that would work out as well as chilling the water though.

Last edited by Red05SS/SC; 05-27-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red05SS/SC
ok well I wasn't going to run the lines inside the car I will be running them underneather the vehicle from back to front. I know meziere has a pretty hd pump that is rated at 20 gpm rather than the 8 with the stock pump and its pretty reasonable in price. I went to the track this past weekend and with the mods you see in my sig. the car would heatsoak like crazy just sitting in the lanes. I do have hptuners and was logging about mid 150's with the engine off and pump on sitting in the lanes. When I launch the car the iat2 will go down to about 130 and then steadily increase to about 150 by the end of the track. My idea with the icebox in the back is that I will always have a steady flow of cold water running to the manifold rather than just a gallon by dumping that in. This way when the water gets back to the box in the trunk it immediatley gets chilled back down and then pumped back to the mani. This way I could leave the pump on in the lanes and take as much heat out of the mani and blower before I stage the car.

I was also thinking about possibly doing some small electric fans like they use on tranny coolers and mounting them to the back of the h/e to a switch so I can turn the fans and the pump on this way to bring the cool air through the h/e. Not sure if that would work out as well as chilling the water though.
Those IATs seem high for a car with an added HE. Are you running into the factory pump first and the then the aftermarket one?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 PM

my setup is basically factory. I'm using the OTT h/e alone(no more stock unit) with the extra resevoir inline aka "stu" mod. The problem is that a h/e only works when air is blown across it. So while my car is off and I'm waiting in the staging lanes. there is usually little to no breeze especially in a sea of other cars. So with the engine off with the i/c pump running i'm still seeing iat2's in the 150's now if I get out of line and cruise around the parking lot at like 20mph it will drop down to like 115 or so but as soon as I shut the car off it will climb back to 150.