2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Intercooler pump RPM dependent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler pump RPM dependent?

I have noticed something strange with my IAT2's. I'm not sure if it's just my car, because I haven't really spent time in anyone elses.

The IAT2 temperature seems to decrease more as the RPM's increase, while maintaining the same speed. I'm not sure if I'm having a voltage loss at the pump, but I'm going to try checking the voltage at the pump and at the relay to compare. It seems as though regardless of RPM, the temperature changes should be dependent on the speed the vehicle is traveling, since the air passing through the heat exchanger does the cooling.

Does anyone know what the voltage going to the pump is supposed to be?

Has anyone experienced a similar scenario?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 AM

I have noticed the same thing. My explanation is that when your RPMs are higher your car is sucking more air in from the outside, this ambient air is colder than your IAT2 causing that to drop in temperature. When your RPMs are lower your throttle body closes slightly limiting the outside air coming in. Remember that your IAT2 are a measurement of air temperature not of the coolant that passes through your system.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Unforgiv3n
I have noticed the same thing. My explanation is that when your RPMs are higher your car is sucking more air in from the outside, this ambient air is colder than your IAT2 causing that to drop in temperature. When your RPMs are lower your throttle body slightly limiting the outside air coming in. Remember that your IAT2 are a measurement of air temperature not of the coolant that passes through your system.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Correct
Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 AM

That makes perfect sense, thanks! I understand IAT2 is just air temperature, but I figured there is a consistent correlation between the air temperature and the coolant temperature, therefore somehow combining the rate of the coolant flow. Your explanation makes perfect sense though It's still frustrating how quick the IAT2 climbs at idle not moving even with dual pass, option B and a heat exchanger

Damn Eaton blast chamber.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by shroogis
That makes perfect sense, thanks! I understand IAT2 is just air temperature, but I figured there is a consistent correlation between the air temperature and the coolant temperature, therefore somehow combining the rate of the coolant flow. Your explanation makes perfect sense though It's still frustrating how quick the IAT2 climbs at idle not moving even with dual pass, option B and a heat exchanger

Agreed !!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by shroogis

I know the feeling. My intercooler pump failed during the winter and as soon as the outside temperature started getting into the 50's 60's my IAT at idle were pushing 140!