2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Official Turbo LSJ thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check it out
2007 Chevy Cobalt SS
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Ah, okay. Good thinking. I've seen the Turbos that have those built in, pretty nifty.

As far as AFR and Timing... the more the merrier. For the AFR, I'd ramp it down from 14.7. A lot of people seem to just flatline their AFR... so as soon as they mash the gas, it goes to 11.5 or whatever. That's safe... but its not the best for spooling fast. I'd start at 14.7 and slowly work my way down to 12.0 by the time it hit full boost. Cut out a decent chunk of spool time like that. It takes some calculating and some time... even more so once you have to adjust it because of what you gain. With the timing... basically the same concept. I ran a lot of timing throughout my map, until the turbo was spooled. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I think that around 5psi or so, it was still around 32* of timing. I ramped it down, as well. That gave a huge improvement, not only in spool. time... but also in how ballsy the car was out of boost.

That charge piping will do it. I run 2.5" I/C piping all around (shortest route possible, as well) with an 8" long section of 3" piping for the MAF.
We are running something similar with the ramping down. Im gonna go thru the file that Im running and get a log out to Chris over the next couple of days that he can actually work with other than the LTFT/STFT corrections. I have a strong feeling spool time is going to drop tremendously and the HP is going to start to climb again.

Im running a very similar setup IC piping wise as Rob, no need for 3" except for in the MAF regions

Originally Posted by jonnymerk
large as in 1inch past the bottom lip and a few inches above the crash bar. thick enough to have been held in place by being wedged in between the crash bar and the A/C radiator thing which it bent to a slight curve just to get in there.
Your IC is likely too big. It similar in size to what Im running, and actually I think yours is larger. Drop down IC size and you will drop spool time. Sorry that you are having to go through all of this, sometimes bigger isnt better, but hey we have all made similar mistakes at some point or another.

I strongly suggest(I actually think it should be a requirement before anyone is allowed to purchase a turbo) that you pick up a copy of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost, this book will save you tons of headaches. I promise. Ive had a copy forever, and wont ever let go of it.

l8r,
PD
Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnymerk
large as in 1inch past the bottom lip and a few inches above the crash bar. thick enough to have been held in place by being wedged in between the crash bar and the A/C radiator thing which it bent to a slight curve just to get in there.
Definitely too big.

I, as well as a large number of other LSJ's, run this: EXTREME TURBO SYSTEMS 7" STREET INTERCOOLER ONLY (450HP): 2G DSM #21427

Awesome intercooler. Well worth the money. I'd cruise at 1-2* above ambient and at most, I'd peak 10* above ambient when WOT.

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
I strongly suggest(I actually think it should be a requirement before anyone is allowed to purchase a turbo) that you pick up a copy of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost, this book will save you tons of headaches. I promise. Ive had a copy forever, and wont ever let go of it.

l8r,
PD
I've got a digital copy of it somewhere on my External Hard Drive. I could probably host it somewhere and post it up.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 AM

That is a helluva IC, and def see if you can host that somewhere it is a must for everyone in this thread to read.

l8r,
PD
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Premium Member

good info guys. A lot of what I am and have been doing is undoing and fixing since the day I converted. Sucks but at least Im learning and getting things done.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 AM

Okay guys. I'm REALLY REALLY torn...I <3 my S/C but I want to make more power. (as we all want to)

I'm stuck between selling the balt a little early and picking up a LNF or just saving up for the Swap. That would mean I lose the S/c + pully, Vibrant Header/DP, Heat Exchanger, (option B?) Injen intake. probably Ingalls TD as well....

Would I be better off buying the Turbo kit and parting out or selling the LSJ or getting a LNF?

This would probably happen closer to the end of this year of beg of next year. I just want to figure out what would be best and start planning on a savings budget for that.

Also: Would I need bigger brakes?

Previous Goals: 300....

new Goal: 375
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by rivaladore
Dude I feel your pain, I'm almost done. All I have left to do is downpipe, waste gate, one ic pipe, and then put the bumper and headlights on. Been working on it for two full days. I'm exhausted. Yea just use the grey sealant for the oil pan for the tb gasket
You'll hate the down pipe and dump tube. Also your down pipe most likely won't fit your exhaust because ZZP uses a huge gasket and most exhausts don't have that huge gasket. Lol
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by duffman11
Okay guys. I'm REALLY REALLY torn...I <3 my S/C but I want to make more power. (as we all want to)

I'm stuck between selling the balt a little early and picking up a LNF or just saving up for the Swap. That would mean I lose the S/c + pully, Vibrant Header/DP, Heat Exchanger, (option B?) Injen intake. probably Ingalls TD as well....

Would I be better off buying the Turbo kit and parting out or selling the LSJ or getting a LNF?

This would probably happen closer to the end of this year of beg of next year. I just want to figure out what would be best and start planning on a savings budget for that.

Also: Would I need bigger brakes?

Previous Goals: 300....

new Goal: 375
Keep the Supercharger and use Nitrous if you like it that much.

Otherwise, sell the S/C kit off your car and put a Turbo Kit on the car. Switching to an LNF will put you basically right back in the same situation, as you aren't going to be able to make 375whp on the stock turbo, and now you own more on the car you drive.

Larger brakes aren't required, necessarily. Quality brakes are though. LSJ brakes are more than capable with the correct Pad/Rotor set-up and when bled properly (most people don't bled them properly - they are NOT the traditional rear/front bleed pattern).
Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM

with the zzp turbo swap what does the dip stick bolt to? the closest area is about half an inch above where a mounting hole is on the dip stick. or does it just hang free?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM

mine hangs free, but then again, I don't have a zzp kit.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM

it just bugs me hanging free. it got no support
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM

why? works fine for me. It's not getting in the way of anything. Just sits in between two of my intake plenums.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM

maybe ill turn mine around and zip tie it to the manifold somewhere lol
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM

So, did an oil change on my car today. Here's what I found:

This is looking up from the oil pan. Pictured is my turbo w/the black return line. Notice something about the return line?

Came up top to track it down. Thought it was the catch can, but then I saw this at the feed line:

Any ideas? Probably another symptom of why I'm smoking out the tailpipe. My guess is that there's too much oil pressure and it's pushing out somewhere....
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MP Cobalt
with the zzp turbo swap what does the dip stick bolt to? the closest area is about half an inch above where a mounting hole is on the dip stick. or does it just hang free?
It bolts to the intake manifold
Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Haven't modded my car in 3+ years.

I think it's time.

LSJ turbo swapperz.... convince me and show me a good deal... ready set go!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChriSS/SC
Haven't modded my car in 3+ years.

I think it's time.

LSJ turbo swapperz.... convince me and show me a good deal... ready set go!
here's a vid of mark's car before he really started ******* with it:

ss/sc turbo swap cobalt - YouTube
Old 04-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Keep the Supercharger and use Nitrous if you like it that much.

Otherwise, sell the S/C kit off your car and put a Turbo Kit on the car. Switching to an LNF will put you basically right back in the same situation, as you aren't going to be able to make 375whp on the stock turbo, and now you own more on the car you drive.

Larger brakes aren't required, necessarily. Quality brakes are though. LSJ brakes are more than capable with the correct Pad/Rotor set-up and when bled properly (most people don't bled them properly - they are NOT the traditional rear/front bleed pattern).
Never been a fan of N20 even with the mustang and they respond well to it.

IDK I have some more time to think, What's the dfference between the HAHN and ZZP kit besides the Turbo? Will the 20g match the 256? Is one more reliable?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
here's a vid of mark's car before he really started ******* with it:

ss/sc turbo swap cobalt - YouTube
holy ****. who's mark? how much power was that puttin down in that vid? SO.DAMN.JUICY
Old 04-01-2012, 09:42 PM

that's exsoccer's car. He's on a zzp kit, among "other" things. Just shows the capability of what an lsj can do when you do a proper turbo swap. Start on page 1 of this thread and you'll find other reasons to turbo your ride.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM

Mexi loco, u are over oiling, time for a restrictor or smaller feed. What size r u using?

Chris come take a ride in my car and u will be convinced.

Dip sick is just loose, you can zip tie it if u need to

The s256 can make more boost and the Kit is slightly cheaper. The 20g is a nice setup a well, it's really preference

L8r,
PD
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
Mexi loco, u are over oiling, time for a restrictor or smaller feed. What size r u using?

Chris come take a ride in my car and u will be convinced.

Dip sick is just loose, you can zip tie it if u need to

The s256 can make more boost and the Kit is slightly cheaper. The 20g is a nice setup a well, it's really preference

L8r,
PD
Actually, after taking off the feed line from the turbo, it appeared as if the crush washer failed. I'm going to Advance tomorrow to get a replacement one. Anyone know what size crush washer the zzp feed line uses?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
So, did an oil change on my car today. Here's what I found:

This is looking up from the oil pan. Pictured is my turbo w/the black return line. Notice something about the return line?

Came up top to track it down. Thought it was the catch can, but then I saw this at the feed line:

Any ideas? Probably another symptom of why I'm smoking out the tailpipe. My guess is that there's too much oil pressure and it's pushing out somewhere....
Dude get rid of that fiberglass mat on the bulkhead, that's a fire waiting to happen.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by duffman11
Never been a fan of N20 even with the mustang and they respond well to it.

IDK I have some more time to think, What's the dfference between the HAHN and ZZP kit besides the Turbo? Will the 20g match the 256? Is one more reliable?
Don't even consider the Hahn kit, imo. Quality has gone down a lot in the last 5 years and the S20G isn't comparable in the slightest to the S256ET. 256 is a MUCH better turbo.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^^ yea take that off. It even suggests to rip it off in the zzp turbo kit instructions

Quick Reply: Official Turbo LSJ thread!!!