2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Oil spitting out of exhaust at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil spitting out of exhaust at idle

Alright... so here's my story.

I just today bought an 06 Cobalt SS with a 2.8" pully, 60# injectors, and its stage is 3 ZZP. It has a catless downpipe. It has 139,000 miles. It runs really well so far, the tranny is solid, everything is solid on it and I put about 150 miles on it today.

I get out in my garage and I'm working on it and it's idling for about 5-10 minutes when I notice it starts spitting oil in specs on the floor and straight out of the exhaust. It's a sizable amount, certainly concerned me greatly.

The car idles fine and doesn't seem to have any issues. My girlfriend said that she saw white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I got on it when she was driving behind me in my other car on the way back from the purchase.

Don't tell me I have piston issues... is this possibly a tune problem? I don't have much supercharger knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:56 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
sure its oil and not water? oil burns blue, not white. i would guess coolant, possibly a head gasket or more likely a leaking intercooler seal.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
sure its oil and not water? oil burns blue, not white. i would guess coolant, possibly a head gasket or more likely a leaking intercooler seal.
Yeah it's definitely oil. I put my hand over the exhaust and it gets oil spots all over my hand and oil spots all over the garage floor. Like you can see it spitting out when it gets bad.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Are u sure its not just condensation droplets mixed with exhaust soot?

Catless exhausts leave more soot in the exhaust piping than catted systems, and will drip dark soot colored condensation droplets as the system warms up.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS

Catless exhausts leave more soot in the exhaust piping than catted systems, and will drip dark soot colored condensation droplets as the system warms up.
This exactly, if your engine were spitting oil out the exhaust, it'd have a blue cloud following it and you'd be out of oil by now.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS

I had more time this morning before work to run it a bit and it still makes a white smoke when it sits for a minute and I gas it first thing, and I noticed it was spitting the dark spots all over the ground again so before I left for work I just sat there and watched it for a few minutes and actually looked at the stuff coming out. I think it might be what you are saying. I first thought it was oil because it won't evaporate but now I realize it's carbon after seeing it in daylight and having more time to look at it. It clearly smears like carbon when I wipe it.

My guess is that the guy that had it before me didn't stomp it at all, and I wasn't by any means redlining it, but I was certainly getting on it, and that caused a bunch of excess buildup to get released and mixed with the water coming out of the exhaust.

But when looking at the motor after driving for a while, I notice a small amount of oil around the top of the spark plugs, this is what originally made me believe it was oil in the exhaust.

I do appreciate all the feedback guys. I've never owned a car like this so a lot of this is new to me.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
replace the valve cove gaskets
Old 10-02-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Your definately seeing condensation mixed with exhaust soot. If it was actually oil and wet enough to get out the back your motor would be doomed and running like crap

However like mr b said replace your valve cover gasket.