2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

OTTP vs ZZP tune......

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dainslaif
I just tuned a kid from San Antonio whose OTTP tune made his car peg 10 AFR. The MAF table was way off, that's all. Surprisingly enough, his friends are Trifecta dealers, and when Vince tuned him it did the same thing and he's been waiting on a retune for weeks. >_>

Bottom line; it's a canned tune, go figure. Just take a bunch off the MAF table and you should be g2g broski.
That's what I'm figuring. I'm going to work with it.

I lol @ the term broski. Gets me everytime.

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
Ah so nothing below that. Just curious how rich it really is
his wideband doesn't show any readings past 10.0. But my HPTuners scan does.

Last edited by ralliartist; 08-13-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I ended up having to trim like 15% off the top end and 20% on the bottom end after all was said and done. Hopefully that's all you need to do for your guy. Good luck.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 08-13-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM

thanks, I'm home now, so I'm going to work on it. I took a bunch of logs of his car, so I should have enough to get it somewhat close so that his PE table will finally enable next time I go down to meet up with him.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 PM

This is the issue I'm having with my recent tune, its pegging 10.0 or possibly less. In 2nd under 3k if i give it more than half throttle it bogs down bad then once it hits 3500-4k its like turbo lag and just takes off.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM

My afr on the dyno was 9.8...+ a few tenths because my cat was richening up the AFR reading, so 10.3 I think is what we decided was closer to reality.

My car does the same thing, part throttle it bogs until 3k, then starts moving 50% better. Not sure what caused it, I'm going to try to get Josh to retune my car after a few mods I've put on it.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Stone629
Not a fan of OTTP tunes. I had mine custom tuned, but I watched my tuner trying to retune another Cobalt that had a tune from OTTP, and it was also pig rich. With full exhaust, intake, 2.8, etc, that car only laid down 210 whp. The tuner tried everything he could, but couldn't retune it because OTTP's PCM was locked. After multiple attempts via phone and email, neither the tuner or the customer ever heard back from OTTP. This was well over a month ago. Customer ended up having to drive 2 hours back home and eventually ordered a new PCM from ZZP.

Get a custom tune and be done with it. Mail order tunes are "get me by" tunes.
We have never locked a pcm, so that pcm wasn't locked. We also tried to help this customer, but what can we do from a thousand miles away?

I find it intresting that you guys are running so rich. What intakes are these customers running? General modifictaions? 15% + is alot to be off on wot, as long as they have similar mods the tune will be close. Only a couple of things can change it, maf location, maf being dirty, or their car has other problems and because of this it isn't using as much fuel and isn't making as much power as it should.

Last edited by Josh@ottp; 08-15-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2010, 11:57 AM

I really don't think it was the case of OTTP's tune being not dialed in. I think this is what you get with a boxed tune. Box tunes should just be to get the car up and running. You should go and get properly tuned from there on.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by fast98
We have never locked a pcm, so that pcm wasn't locked. We also tried to help this customer, but what can we do from a thousand miles away?

I find it intresting that you guys are running so rich. What intakes are these customers running? General modifictaions? 15% + is alot to be off on wot, as long as they have similar mods the tune will be close. Only a couple of things can change it, maf location, maf being dirty, or their car has other problems and because of this it isn't using as much fuel and isn't making as much power as it should.
That was me. It wasn't locked just the Vin was invalid for the PCM and the PCM was corrupt the tuner/Bill @ HP Tuners told me. I was told I was going to have one shipped to me and then contact dropped off and I never got anything in the mail. A few weeks later I got an Email asking what I wanted to do about it, I mentioned I was told I was getting a PCM shipped to me and heard nothing back. Still have them>

My IC pump wasn't working at the time so it was pulling timing by the time I drove 2 hrs as far as I know.

Not really worried about it now...getting a diff car..
Old 08-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast98

According to his sig - Injen CAI,CIA Catless dp and header 3in, Vibrant Exhaust, OTTP stg1, 60# inj. 2.8, ZZP S3 H/E, Dual Pass. Nothing too crazy. He said he cleaned his MAF and throttlebody less than a month ago to try and fix the problem before he came up for a custom tune. I can tell him to clean his MAF again and run more logs but he lives 80 miles away, so unless you want to throw in 20 for gas I'm not going to ask him to do that.

Like Ralli said, it's a tune that'll get you around, but won't be as good as if someone does it in person. At least it's rich and not lean.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 08-15-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by shroogis
My afr on the dyno was 9.8...+ a few tenths because my cat was richening up the AFR reading, so 10.3 I think is what we decided was closer to reality.

My car does the same thing, part throttle it bogs until 3k, then starts moving 50% better. Not sure what caused it, I'm going to try to get Josh to retune my car after a few mods I've put on it.
Correct me if Im wrong but I was under the impression that having a cat would lean it out a bit when using a dyno sniffer.

The moral of this thread is get your car dialed in if you want your car to run to full potential.

Like ralliartist said canned tunes are to get your car up and running.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by skatin_boarding
Correct me if Im wrong but I was under the impression that having a cat would lean it out a bit when using a dyno sniffer.

The moral of this thread is get your car dialed in if you want your car to run to full potential.

Like ralliartist said canned tunes are to get your car up and running.
I'm pretty sure the dyno operator/shop owner said having a cat using a tailpipe sniffer made it read richer than it should, but I may be wrong.

The car certainly runs hard being that rich so I can't wait to get it dialed in.

Josh, I still have a stock intake and a clean maf. However, I do have a header and full exhaust since we tuned my car.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 PM

The biggest issue is that I'm not running a basic canned tune. I'm tuning via driving the car on the road and having it tuned in real time with a wideband. After my last tune I started having issues and am now throwing P0121, P2135, P1133 codes at random and I'm not sure if its the tune or the car itself. Or if one part is causing problems elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Banned

P0121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Performance ECM
P2135 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation ECM

P1133 HO2S Insufficient Switching Sensor 1 ECM

Sounds hardware related to be honest. The throttle issue may be causing the O2 issue.

Last edited by Dainslaif; 08-25-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Bringing this back from the dead

Yeah, sounds like a TB replacement would help.

Finally got a wideband on my car wtih the OTT tune. Here's some video of the AFR through 2nd and 3rd.
Gets pretty rich in 3rd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f03cSDkQL0w