2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Possible Intercooler Pump Upgrade (Pump Information)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Possible Intercooler Pump Upgrade (Pump Information)

I have spent the last few hours reading all about intercooler pumps, GPM, restriction, pump comparisons, etc. I have also been trolling other supercharged car forums to see what they do with their pumps. I thought I had a winner with a Johnston GPX CM30 pump, however, once under restriction it actually flows less than our OEM Bosch 0 392 022 002. I have found that Mercedes Benz has a Bosch pump OEM that is similar in size and is a PCA like ours, but it flows more both free flowing and under restriction. It is the Bosch 0 392 022 010.

I have attached the spec sheets from Bosch for both pumps because I cannot quite understand the charts on them. Anyone here understand the technical data on the chart that can dumb it down for me? I want to go with the "Upgraded" Mercedes Benz pump, but I want to make sure that it really is going to be an upgrade in performance.

Mercedes OEM Bosch 0 392 022 010
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...2022010-1-.pdf

Cobalt SS OEM Bosch 0 392 022 002
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/image...0392022002.pdf
Old 08-26-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was also looking into getting an upgraded pump when I was still sc. Figured higher flowing would cool faster. Didn't look too much into it as I was more focused on fixing my transmission. But yeah I always wondered why people didn't do this before....in for results
Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
I'm not an LSJ guy but could you try 2 pumps either in series or parallel?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by KMO43
I'm not an LSJ guy but could you try 2 pumps either in series or parallel?
That would take up a lot of room. However, I did read about some one suggesting this on another forum and the consensus seemed to be that it would still flow the same amounts. Also, you have to think about how that would draw twice as much current.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
I was also looking into getting an upgraded pump when I was still sc. Figured higher flowing would cool faster. Didn't look too much into it as I was more focused on fixing my transmission. But yeah I always wondered why people didn't do this before....in for results
Too an extent. The OEM SS Bosch flows 8gpm free flowing and about 4.5gpm under the restriction of our intercooler (3/8" opening). I read about tests that had a pump rated for 25gpm only flow 3gpm through restriction because it was inefficient under restriction. That's why I was saying I know it is now just about going bigger GPM, but also the ability to handle the restriction psi.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two pumps would still just flow as fast as the slowest one.

In for upgraded pump info.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSSstg2
That would take up a lot of room. However, I did read about some one suggesting this on another forum and the consensus seemed to be that it would still flow the same amounts. Also, you have to think about how that would draw twice as much current.
you'd have to change the hoses to larger to make it worthwile and wiring it up with a relay would be easy I've just never seen how much room you guys have to work with
Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by iToastie
Two pumps would still just flow as fast as the slowest one.

In for upgraded pump info.
How is that possible??

So you're saying two 255 fuel pumps will flow as much as one?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Too an extent. The OEM SS Bosch flows 8gpm free flowing and about 4.5gpm under the restriction of our intercooler (3/8" opening). I read about tests that had a pump rated for 25gpm only flow 3gpm through restriction because it was inefficient under restriction. That's why I was saying I know it is now just about going bigger GPM, but also the ability to handle the restriction psi.
Oh really I did not know our pumps flowed that much. I figured it was somewhere around 1gpm
Old 08-26-2014, 03:26 PM

How is that possible??

So you're saying two 255 fuel pumps will flow as much as one?
Different concept since those are pulling from a basin of liquid whereas the intercooler pumps and circulating a set amount of fluid.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM

you'd have to change the hoses to larger to make it worthwile and wiring it up with a relay would be easy I've just never seen how much room you guys have to work with
There are other places to mount pumps, others have put bigger pumps in. Larger hosing won't help since the intercooler and laminova cores are the biggest restriction points.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
if you dig around on here you will see that this was discussed a lot in the early days and a few people were using a csi 20gph pump dont remember how it really worked out but the info is on here
Old 08-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't see how this pump will help performance wise, maybe a good idea from a reliability standpoint but as far as performance goes what would it do to increase the cooling effect?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Haven07
I'm sorry but I can't see how this pump will help performance wise, maybe a good idea from a reliability standpoint but as far as performance goes what would it do to increase the cooling effect?

Oh, haha. Well, if cool water is moving through the laminovas faster... Get it or do you need more?
Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
It would flow slightly more according the pump theory, since the head pressure to the supply side would be greater.

The difference in your pumps assuming the data about SS/SC pump flowing 4.5gpm is correct so the dP the flow is ~1000L/h at a dP of ~3.25kPa, go to the Merc one at the same dP your flow is ~1250L/h or ~5.5gpm. You need to look at the heat exchanger area and figure out if you're maxed out on the flow or the maximum amount of heat that can be lost at the heat exchanger.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by REDi DEViSTATOR

Oh, haha. Well, if cool water is moving through the laminovas faster... Get it or do you need more?
First of all it's a simple question I wasn't trying to be a dick or a smart ass.

Second I thought of that already but the only thing that gave me questions is that moving coolant faster doesn't cool the system as far as I know, maybe taking heat away from the engine faster to improve recovery but as far as actual performance where I can add more timing and push the engine harder, how is it helping?

And another thought wouldn't you want the coolant in the cores longer to give them more time to cool?

Also I'm not in the business of buying anything bigger because bigger is better syndrome, if I have any questions I research and ask questions so I don't wind up wasting money and looking like a tool. If a higher flowing ic pump really made drastic changes to cooling I'm pretty sure that between the age of this car and the ic pumps failure rates it would be common practice to upgrade the pump as the first mod to this car

Last edited by Haven07; 08-26-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM

It doesn't cool the engine, it cools the air. If the water is ALWAYS cold the air will be cold. And, if you have a really good heat exchanger to cool the speedy water, the air will be cooler. So let's say you have an aftermarket heat exchanger, dual pass, and option B. The water moving through a super efficient system slowly will heat up and stay heated and take longer to cool. So, faster flowing system means, more efficient cooling.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I think you all should look at it differently as in what is making the heat why it makes the heat then how to make it cooler there is more to it then just a pump
Old 08-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
I think you all should look at it differently as in what is making the heat why it makes the heat then how to make it cooler there is more to it then just a pump
NOTED
Compressed air is hot. I'm sure we all know this. I don't think this is a thread about compressed air though. Reduce retrictions in the intake I.e head and what not will help with hot air production.. I think the OP was trying to gain insite on an alternative to our stock intercooler pump, and that's all.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM

if you dig around on here you will see that this was discussed a lot in the early days and a few people were using a csi 20gph pump dont remember how it really worked out but the info is on here
I did some and found that the pumps that flowed those numbers only did well in unrestricted flow. Under restriction and head pressure they performed poorly and turned out to be a downgrade to many stock aftercooler systems.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

im looking at it like he is looking for a higher gph pump to help pull heat out of the air
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Agree.
I am just looking at pumps now because my OEM Bosch is toast again. It runs but it is not flowing properly of at all; just making noise.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Agree.
I am just looking at pumps now because my OEM Bosch is toast again. It runs but it is not flowing properly of at all; just making noise.
the impeller is connected to the main shaft magnetically could have debris around the impeller
Old 08-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
It would flow slightly more according the pump theory, since the head pressure to the supply side would be greater. The difference in your pumps assuming the data about SS/SC pump flowing 4.5gpm is correct so the dP the flow is ~1000L/h at a dP of ~3.25kPa, go to the Merc one at the same dP your flow is ~1250L/h or ~5.5gpm. You need to look at the heat exchanger area and figure out if you're maxed out on the flow or the maximum amount of heat that can be lost at the heat exchanger.
This is exactly what I meant!
Thank you.

I will buy the Mercedes Benz pump as a replacement this time. Would be great to see a fall in time for recovery from it, but longevity would be even better. My main concern was not purchasing a downgrade thinking it was an upgrade like so many others have done.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM

im looking at it like he is looking for a higher gph pump to help pull heat out of the air
I see. Well if I am informed correctly, the single pass is more efficient than the dual pass and with a upgraded intercooler and a working stock pump, should cool better than a a dual pass and a higher flowing pump. If you upgrade the pump, you will create more of an electical draw.. That's a power robber as well. I think you would be better off with a stock pump and single pass and upgraded intercooler.

Quick Reply: Possible Intercooler Pump Upgrade (Pump Information)