2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

really weird problem need help asap

Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow really weird problem need help asap

ok i broke a piston ring in cyl #1 i brought it to my speed shop and had the problem fixed. now i keep throwing a p0017 code camshaft position sensor. ive never thrown this code before. i did the reasearch and found out how to fix this problem. we put cyl #4 at top dead center on the compression stroke, pulled off the sensor and realigned it, put everything back together and we still get the code. the car runs perfect, no problems driving, no problems starting up, no misfires etc. when we disconnect the battery the code goes away and we let the car idle for 10 mins and no code as soon as i pull off the driveway the code appears. like i said i have no other problems at all and no other codes. any ideas or suggestions?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:42 PM

either the cam is out of time or the sensor is bad. have you tried to swap the sensor? if you did a rebuild did you clean off the sensor? maybe theres some metal shavings on the sensor
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM

u need to reset the cam sensor if im correct. gosh its been forever since ive been on here lol
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did they do a CASE relearn? That is the only thing I can think of to try...
Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 PM

it def sounds like its off time your best bet is to pull the valve cover off and the front cover and set the timing
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 PM

The timming chain is perfectly set in place. If it wasn't I would have driving issues. We took the side of the motor off and alined everything according to gm spec

We reset the cam sensor. How do you do a case relearn?

Last edited by 06cobalt_ss; 11-06-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 PM

not always i work for gm i worked on an hhr with the same problem that was off time. it doesnt always give driving issues .sometimes it can even make the car run better but there will always be the check engine light

it also is completely possible that if you overheated it that you could have possibly did damage to the camshaft im pretty sure there is a bulletin out for it

DTC P0017
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptor
DTC P0017: Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation

Circuit/System Description

The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor information to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft and camshaft positions.
Conditions for Running the DTC
• DTCs P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341 are not set.
• The engine is cranking or running.
• DTC P0017 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The PCM detects that the timing between the crankshaft and the camshaft is incorrect.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The control module stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
• The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Failure Records.
• The driver information center, if equipped, may display a message.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
• A current DTC Last Test Failed clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other non-emission related diagnostic.
• Clear the DTC with a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids
• Inspect the engine for any recent mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed camshaft position sensor, crankshaft, camshaft, or timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
• An incorrectly built exhaust camshaft can cause this DTC to set.
Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics
Connector End View Reference

• Engine Controls Connector End Views
• Powertrain Control Module Connector End Views
Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing
• Connector Repairs
• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
• Wiring Repairs
Scan Tool Reference

• Scan Tool Data List
• Scan Tool Data Definitions
Circuit/System Verification

Observe the DTC Information with a scan tool.
⇒ If the scan tool displays that any other DTCs also failed this ignition, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle .
⇒ If only DTC P0017 is displayed, continue with Circuit/System Testing.
Circuit/System Testing

1. With the ignition OFF, inspect the crankshaft balancer bolt for the proper torque. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications .
⇒ If the crankshaft balancer bolt is not at the proper torque, refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement .
2. Inspect for incorrect installation of the CMP sensor. Refer to Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement .
3. Inspect the engine for correct valve timing. Refer to Camshaft Timing Chain, Sprocket, and Tensioner Replacement .

Last edited by eddiexxxxxg; 11-06-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 AM

Ok so if I take the valve cover off hoe do I reset timming?

There's no way my motor could have gotten hot enough to destroy a sensor or the cam its self. Its impossible for my engine to get hotter then 190 deg. My tune is set for fans to kick in at 190 deg

Bump

Last edited by 06cobalt_ss; 11-07-2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-07-2009, 09:43 PM

your best bet is to take it somewhere and have it done if your not sure how to set timing you could cause alot more damage
Old 11-08-2009, 12:13 AM

im pretty sure timming is set of you guys r refering to the timming chain. we took the side of the motor off and aligned everything according to gm spec.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM

:bangshead:

The cam sensor is out of line. In the build book they state directly how to realign this. Also not sure why it was even taken out. I rebuild and the sensor stood directly on the end of the cam it didn't have to come off.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM

That's the best part that sensor was never touched. We got the head off and the sensor stayed where it was jus unplugged. When we got the head back on the code started randomly appearing. We pulled the sensor off re aligned everything and the code went away but now it keeps comming back again. I reset the battery and some times it doesn't come on for miles some times it comes on b4 I could pull off the driveway. Maybe a loose wire or connector? Could it be a tune issue? Is it possible my tuner needs to change up my deg of timmimg? I'm am at 24 deg of timming rite now
Old 11-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Check the connection at the sensor. If that checks out it is possible for the timing to be off 1 tooth it happens to quite a few people.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 PM

How do I check to see if the chain isn't off by 1 tooth?