2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Sporadic Idle, Won't Start, Then Everything's Fine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sporadic Idle, Won't Start, Then Everything's Fine...

I have had this happen before while driving down the highway, but today it was the worse it has ever been. My '06 SS/SC was driving along just fine but then it starts bogging down, I slam the pedal and it will go but stutter the whole way. Last time this happened, I was on an empty tank and filled up and it went away. But today, I just filled up this morning at my usual gas station, never had a problem. When I pulled over and stopped, my car wouldn't start, I had to turn it over for 30 seconds or so and it would finally start blowing a huge plume out white smoke at the tail pipe. I luckily got the car home but having to rev it to 2k the whole time to keep it from dying. My car is bone stock with 47k miles on the odometer. Last time it threw a CEL, but today, nothing...

I called the stealership and dropped it off to be looked at in the morning for the voluntary recall issue with the catalytic converter. BUT, when I drove it to the dealership it ran perfectly fine!

Anyone have any idea what is going on with it? The dealership is going to charge me $115 to look at it, no matter what, so unless they can look back in the history or something I have a feeling I will be tossing $115 down the drain.

Any help would be appreciate! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 AM

well mine did that two weeks ago.. then lost all compression and cylinder four failed..... kaboom 59,000 miles
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 AM

Mine just did this! It actually happened 3 times and the third time it was so bad i couldn't make it to work. Had the car towed and the next morning at the dealership it started right up and ran fine. But the weird thing was it gave me a primary fuel circuit malfunction. And i hit the fuse box with the test light after switching a couple relays around thinking that might be it... had no power whatsoever to the fuel pump relay or fuse. Yes the key was on and everything else ws hot but the fuel pump relay. So I guess they just fix themselves?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel filter comes to mind. Possible clogged, or poor fuel quality.
Also check your air filter, and check/clean your throttle body, that gets dirty somehow
and causes problems. Might try to run some Lucas FUel INjector cleaner through it in case
the injectors are getting clogged.
Good Luck
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
Fuel filter comes to mind. Possible clogged, or poor fuel quality.
Insert dumb question here, but I thought that our cars don't have fuel filters?

Originally Posted by terry11
Mine just did this! It actually happened 3 times and the third time it was so bad i couldn't make it to work. Had the car towed and the next morning at the dealership it started right up and ran fine. But the weird thing was it gave me a primary fuel circuit malfunction. And i hit the fuse box with the test light after switching a couple relays around thinking that might be it... had no power whatsoever to the fuel pump relay or fuse. Yes the key was on and everything else ws hot but the fuel pump relay. So I guess they just fix themselves?
Yeah, mine "just fixed itself" last time also. Bummer, appears that GM has an issue they need to take care of...

Last edited by automobiliben; 03-10-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have fuel filters. It would be dumb not to, otherwise people would have injector problems left and right. The filters are recoomended to be changed every 100, 000 miles according to my Chilton's manual. "The fuel filter is mounted under the vehicle, near the fuel tank."
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
We have fuel filters. It would be dumb not to, otherwise people would have injector problems left and right. The filters are recoomended to be changed every 100, 000 miles according to my Chilton's manual. "The fuel filter is mounted under the vehicle, near the fuel tank."
Hmm, weird, my wife's G6 doesn't have a filter, it is "integrated" into the fule pump they claim.

The dealership just called, said that my injectors are probably bad, they are going to take them out and check. They said they will also need to do an oil change since it has dumped so much fuel that it is in the oil. Hopefully that is all, she said it would be $750...

Man, and the worst part is that I have an Audi A3 on order, I was going to trade this in a couple weeks ago, but since my new car won't be here for a couple months, I wanted to keep it (I have a truck, just don't want to have to drive it for a couple months). Ohh, and the Audi dealership was offering me $7500 for my car...

EDIT: The dealership called back, apparently there was a short in my electrical system and not a problem with the injectors. Sounds more like it since the problem happened very intermittently.

Last edited by automobiliben; 03-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.