Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   SS/SC intakes (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/ss-sc-intakes-15911/)

TurboTechRacing 06-14-2007 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stage2gofast (Post 1127315)
what are people running on there 07's for intakes ? do the 06 models fit 07's? I test fit a 06 K&n and the peipe didnt look like it was going to fit

2006 and 2007 are the same.

IMO
#1 Injen
#2 K&N
#3 Fujita

zsk8er16 06-14-2007 01:13 AM

has anyone with atleast stage 2 and above really noticed any gains with a cai or seen gains on a dyno?

vic_red_06 06-18-2007 07:34 PM

i just installed my k&n cai and it seem a bit to long. the filter pushes on the bottom part of the valance. is this normal? or didn't i do something right? any suggestions?

Rodimus_Prime 06-21-2007 08:22 PM

is there a aem thats full length like the injen and the k and n

kwest 06-23-2007 01:58 AM

I just installed my cold air intake tonight and 20 miles later my check engine light came on...i knew this has been some problems with others.....any suggestions on what to do??

InfinityzeN 06-28-2007 03:50 AM

I installed an AEM on mine. No problems fitting, you can't tell it is there, can't hear it at idle or low curse speeds, but as soon as you go WOT and pass around 3k rpms, it sounds like a freaking Habuza is stuffed under my hood. Crazy man.

Superdave420 06-28-2007 01:47 PM

same with MY AEM, I love it, although I don;t have anything to compare it to

InfinityzeN 06-29-2007 03:56 AM

There is a guy around here with an Ingen and his is loud all the time. Also loader than mine at WOT, though I think his is getting towards the point of being too loud.

pollo8 06-30-2007 02:02 PM

no name (injen imitation)

i purchase the injen imitation on e-bay the ones with no name and i disconect the battery completely for 2 hours when i reinstalled everything after a half hour to one hour run check engine light with codes p0103, p0101, p0172 i read here to cut the small part of the intake and that will fix the problem any help is apreciated. thanks in advance.

repoman 06-30-2007 02:13 PM

use a dry filter, I have run the AEM and I am now running a JBP intake with an AEM dryflow filter. I haven't set any check engine lights so far. I now wish I had my AEM back as well.

InfinityzeN 07-01-2007 07:53 AM

Yea, I would avoid any oiled filter. Too easy to accidentally put to much oil on and mess up a sensor. Plus AEM makes some awesome filters.

Edubs 07-01-2007 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN (Post 1177997)
Yea, I would avoid any oiled filter. Too easy to accidentally put to much oil on and mess up a sensor. Plus AEM makes some awesome filters.

I disagree. You will make more power with a properly oiled filter any day of the week compared to a dry filter like the AEM. It's not difficult to oil a filter, K&N lists the specific amount of oil to use on each of their filters. You really have to over-oil or put it on and run it right away for one of the oiled filters to contaminate the MAF.

Also, an interesting fact for everyone. Make sure you use a large cone filter on your intakes. Use as big as you can get to fit down there. We had my car on the dyno all day yesterday trouble shooting a crazy AFR. Come to find out, my K&N was too small. We took it off for one pull w/ no filter and the overall AFR went from high 11's, low 12s down to consistant 9's with a flat AFR. Put a larger K&N cone on there and it jumped up to mid-high 10's, but the AFR stayed flat. Only took a few trims to even it out from 3K-7K. And the main reason I'm bringing up the Dryflow, is that I had a long discussion with two very reputable tuners yesterday for a while about filters after we found out my issue. Matt @ TTP has actually seen an 8whp difference on a larger displacement engine switching from a dry to an oiled filter. That's dyno proven.

brett5 07-03-2007 05:29 PM

i have an injen has any body noticed like a whistle sound at about -10 boost for about the first 3 min of driving around and then goes away i've checked for leaks but everything seems to be ok?????

SCcobaltSS 07-24-2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN (Post 1177997)

I ran my K&N CAI (oiled filter) for 2000 miles and didnt throw any codes.
Every car is different and will take a filter or a CAI different than the next car.

What doesnt make sense is the code you usually throw is a "Lean" code. Now if all the CAI opens the intake from stock ridged plastic to a 2.5" or 3" manderal bent metal tube (or whatever you have) how will a oiled vs. a dry filter matter? You are still opening the intake to roughly the same air volume that passes the MAF sensor.
Can anyone, thats defending the dry filter doesnt throw codes like the oiled filters do, tell me how that is possible?

Superdave420 07-24-2007 04:53 PM

Well I bought the AEM dryflow CAI 3 days after I bought my 06 SS/SC, now have 15K mile son it and never threw a code.

chris88z24 07-26-2007 07:32 PM

The injen intake have an oiled filter on there?

LB2186 07-29-2007 05:01 PM

i have a question for someone who has an intake on their cobalt....i just put my intake on and it runs like shit....check engine light comes on....gets like 10miles 2 the gallon and doesnt have any horse power....what an i doing wrong?

cobalt

SCcobaltSS 07-29-2007 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by LB2186 (Post 1268836)
i have a question for someone who has an intake on their cobalt....i just put my intake on and it runs like shit....check engine light comes on....gets like 10miles 2 the gallon and doesnt have any horse power....what an i doing wrong?

cobalt

What kind of intake? Did you get the MAF sensor dirty? Did you hook the MAF sensor back up? Go to a Autozone or some car place in that area and get the CEL code, then it will be easier to figure it out

MetalicSilverBullet 07-30-2007 10:59 AM

Just did the K&N air filter box butcher mod. and would recomend it to any one who is saving up for the 3" intake. Not only can you hear the sweet ass supercharger better but it also increased my psi in the lower rpm range.

Did you hook up the sensor ???

Vmango 07-30-2007 11:36 AM

If you don't want problems - go with AEM.

SCcobaltSS 07-30-2007 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vmango (Post 1271032)
If you don't want problems - go with AEM.

LOL I keep hearing people say this. This is not true - intakes and the CEL codes associated with them are unpredictable in all vehicles. K&N - I had no problems with.

Edubs 07-30-2007 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by SCcobaltSS (Post 1271086)
LOL I keep hearing people say this. This is not true - intakes and the CEL codes associated with them are unpredictable in all vehicles. K&N - I had no problems with.

Don't bother. No one listens. Regardless if it's a dry filter or an oil filter, you can throw a code. Temperature, elevation, run environment and build variables all play a part in whether or not you will throw the P0171 (lean) code.

Use what you would like, but you will always make more power with an oiled filter that is properly maintained...

SCcobaltSS 07-30-2007 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs (Post 1271479)
Don't bother. No one listens. Regardless if it's a dry filter or an oil filter, you can throw a code. Temperature, elevation, run environment and build variables all play a part in whether or not you will throw the P0171 (lean) code.

Use what you would like, but you will always make more power with an oiled filter that is properly maintained...

Agreed! At least omeone is with me about these oiled filters.

Edubs 07-30-2007 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SCcobaltSS (Post 1271513)
Agreed! At least omeone is with me about these oiled filters.

Matt at Tune Time Performance actually tested the dry vs. oiled filter on his dyno and lost power when he switched from the oil to the dry filter. People need to learn how to maintain the filter and they'll all be happier...

SCcobaltSS 07-30-2007 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs (Post 1271524)
Matt at Tune Time Performance actually tested the dry vs. oiled filter on his dyno and lost power when he switched from the oil to the dry filter. People need to learn how to maintain the filter and they'll all be happier...

Word!