SS/SC vs STi/EVO - Cobalt SS Network



2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque
Technical Discussions ONLY!

Closed Thread
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Banned
Thread Starter
 
SSBOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-06
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SS/SC vs STi/EVO

Just wondering since GM likes to post false information (205fwhp when its about 220whp) I'd like to take the whp to weight ratio into further consideration versus our popular Sti's and EVO's. I'm not too sure if they are 300 hp to wheels or flywheel stock but if they are to the flywheel then I am correct to say that the SS/SC is faster by simply putting on stage 2?
SSBOOST is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 AM   #2
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-22-07
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sti's are now rated at 293 at the flywheel and evos i think are 286. With stage 2 you might be able to beat a stock one from a roll, but from a stop they will still eat you alive.
RedbaltSS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: 05-24-06
Location: Fridley, mn
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedbaltSS View Post
Sti's are now rated at 293 at the flywheel and evos i think are 286. With stage 2 you might be able to beat a stock one from a roll, but from a stop they will still eat you alive.
this is true
Travi-ss- is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 02:22 AM   #4
Banned
Thread Starter
 
SSBOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-06
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah obviously FWD vs AWD. But I was just wonderin about the hp/weight ratio, thats all that matters to me

Seems like a stock SS/SC (about 220whp) would be faster than a stock EVO now. Im seeing 286hp and 3285 weight. Wow thats heavy. AND WOW I just checked out the STI 3351 pounds, good lord. It should be faster than both right?

Last edited by SSBOOST; 09-01-2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
SSBOOST is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: 07-22-07
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah they are heavier than our cars, but still pretty light for AWD. I had an STi before my SS/SC, and it was a whole other monster. I've raced an EVO from a roll and it pulled on me. You would think by looking at the factory numbers for both, but I have a friend with an 05 EVO that put down 274 to the wheels bone stock.

Last edited by RedbaltSS; 09-01-2007 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Bad link
RedbaltSS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: 09-01-07
Location: CT
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a stock ss/sc is 220hp?
ARedWhiner is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: 01-12-07
Location: N. Side Chi-Town
Posts: 6,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got stg 2 and i ripp a 12 second sti and evo's.
Super_SS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: 09-01-07
Location: CT
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_SS View Post
I got stg 2 and i ripp a 12 second sti and evo's.
just with a stage 2?
ARedWhiner is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-03-07
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_SS View Post
I got stg 2 and i ripp a 12 second sti and evo's.
Oh come on...
JKennedy1612 is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 AM   #10
Banned
 
Join Date: 01-12-07
Location: N. Side Chi-Town
Posts: 6,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARedWhiner View Post
just with a stage 2?
well little more than just s2...my clutch is startin to take a crap on me so im takin a break for power mods
Super_SS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-03-07
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_SS View Post
well little more than just s2...my clutch is startin to take a crap on me so im takin a break for power mods
I have to say I test drove an Evo (I can't remember what year it was) and it was EXTREMELY slow...I was really disappointed. I did test drive a slightly modded 05 STi and that car moved...no way in hell would it compete with our Cobalt
JKennedy1612 is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:39 AM   #12
Banned
 
Join Date: 01-12-07
Location: N. Side Chi-Town
Posts: 6,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKennedy1612 View Post
I have to say I test drove an Evo (I can't remember what year it was) and it was EXTREMELY slow...I was really disappointed. I did test drive a slightly modded 05 STi and that car moved...no way in hell would it compete with our Cobalt
with a s2+ cobalt would put up a good battle...i beat a sti that had cobb s2 and turbo back exhaust by about 2 cars...he had a passanger and i didnt...he ran a [email protected] i ran a [email protected]
Super_SS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-03-07
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_SS View Post
with a s2+ cobalt would put up a good battle...i beat a sti that had cobb s2 and turbo back exhaust by about 2 cars...he had a passanger and i didnt...he ran a [email protected] i ran a [email protected]
Yeah our cars pull pretty hard

I think trap speed is a better indication of how the car performs over trap time. Clearly we can't hook up from the "get-go" but once it's moving it pulls
JKennedy1612 is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 03:45 AM   #14
Banned
 
Join Date: 01-12-07
Location: N. Side Chi-Town
Posts: 6,449
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKennedy1612 View Post
Yeah our cars pull pretty hard
i still havent run into a evo that has cams and ecu tune...ran into some stockers and it was a easy win,i wonder how the cammed evo will do..cams do help his top end power,so it might be a good battle
Super_SS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 04:47 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
SlateFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-25-06
Location: Middle East, For Now
Posts: 539
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a good tune, TBE, and cams should put the Evo at 300 whp. once tuned, the 4g63 is a beast!
SlateFox is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 07-02-07
Location: Bensenville, IL
Posts: 2,017
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya sti's are easy from a roll, are gears are so long compared to theirs. they have to shift more , plus they are heavy. from a dig sti and evo ftw, roll cobalt ftw... ive takin modded stis from a roll by about 2 cars
silentd is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 05:40 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
firemanfrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-27-07
Location: USA
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBOOST View Post
Just wondering since GM likes to post false information (205fwhp when its about 220whp) I'd like to take the whp to weight ratio into further consideration versus our popular Sti's and EVO's. I'm not too sure if they are 300 hp to wheels or flywheel stock but if they are to the flywheel then I am correct to say that the SS/SC is faster by simply putting on stage 2?
A quick search of various Evo forums does in fact show that those cars are only pulling about 225whp stock.

And seeing that an Evo weighs in at 3300lbs, that means their lbs/whp ratio is 14.66.

Compare that with the average SS/SC weighing in at 2950lbs. and running about 215whp stock, and you get 13.72 lbs./whp.

So while the Evo's AWD greatly helps their starting line acceleration, it also takes a toll on their drive train hp loss. The Evo actually suffers 22% drive train hp loss, whereas our SS/SC only experiences 13-15% drive train loss.

Even if we take into account the lower figure of only 13% drive train loss, with 215whp that means our cars are making 245hp at the crank.

And that's why with any kind of race other than from a standstill, our SS/SC's will give the mighty Evo's a good run for their money.

firemanfrank is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
g5mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-17-06
Location: Moncton Newbrunswick Can.
Posts: 17,271
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanfrank View Post
A quick search of various Evo forums does in fact show that those cars are only pulling about 225whp stock.

And seeing that an Evo weighs in at 3300lbs, that means their lbs/whp ratio is 14.66.

Compare that with the average SS/SC weighing in at 2950lbs. and running about 215whp stock, and you get 13.72 lbs./whp.

So while the Evo's AWD greatly helps their starting line acceleration, it also takes a toll on their drive train hp loss. The Evo actually suffers 22% drive train hp loss, whereas our SS/SC only experiences 13-15% drive train loss.

Even if we take into account the lower figure of only 13% drive train loss, with 215whp that means our cars are making 245hp at the crank.

And that's why with any kind of race other than from a standstill, our SS/SC's will give the mighty Evo's a good run for their money.

good research,nice write up.
g5mike is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
firemanfrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-27-07
Location: USA
Posts: 1,547
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g5mike View Post
good research,nice write up.
Thanks!

And I'm not busting on the Evo, not at all.

Just trying to show "what's what" ....
firemanfrank is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
New Member
 
Join Date: 12-19-05
Location: NH
Posts: 161
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlateFox View Post
a good tune, TBE, and cams should put the Evo at 300 whp. once tuned, the 4g63 is a beast!
very true
Blk06CobaltSS is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #21
Banned
Thread Starter
 
SSBOOST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-18-06
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 566
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanfrank View Post
Compare that with the average SS/SC weighing in at 2950lbs.
Oh so GM posted more false info about that too? Lol, they say its 2815 and now the 07-08 ones are rated at even less weight.
SSBOOST is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
blackngold20's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-01-06
Location: Newport News, VA from Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 3,261
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the weight is a funny thing. I read in car and driver the our cars are 2850, road and track had 2725, I think it was compact car that said 2925. So, I guess its a big guesstimation...lol
blackngold20 is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #23
New Member
 
Join Date: 08-10-07
Location: FT Campbell
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cammed evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_SS View Post
i still havent run into a evo that has cams and ecu tune...ran into some stockers and it was a easy win,i wonder how the cammed evo will do..cams do help his top end power,so it might be a good battle
Hey, I have a friend that has a cammed evo and it's tunned. You guys are talking about running from a roll, but he doesn't do that kind of racing, however from a dig, he is running 7.9s in 1/8 mile and 12.6 in 1/4 mile. Hope that helped.
free_agent77 is offline  
Old 09-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Location: right behind you.
Posts: 9,381
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_SS View Post
i still havent run into a evo that has cams and ecu tune...ran into some stockers and it was a easy win,i wonder how the cammed evo will do..cams do help his top end power,so it might be a good battle
huh...what? a cammed evo with a tune will rip you a new *******. With just a tune and tbe on the IX's you wouldn't be able to keep up at all.
cakeeater is offline  
Old 09-02-2007, 01:15 AM   #25
Banned
 
Join Date: 09-01-07
Location: CT
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeeater View Post
huh...what? a cammed evo with a tune will rip you a new *******. With just a tune and tbe on the IX's you wouldn't be able to keep up at all.
yeah i would think so
ARedWhiner is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Factory ss/SC muffler turboecotec02 Parts 5 11-26-2015 10:43 AM
Let down the cobalt community on this one. RaginChopsuey War Stories 16 10-27-2015 01:27 PM
"supercharger Collant" leak brandon04 Problems/Service/Maintenance 46 10-21-2015 07:04 AM
Electrical issues as far as the eye can see... satisfied Problems/Service/Maintenance 3 10-19-2015 12:35 AM
Golf R Vs Cobalt SS/SC Bluelightning War Stories 29 09-08-2015 05:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.