2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

SS/SC vs STi/EVO

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cakeeater
you do realize r/t has absolutely nothing to do with e/t right? I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this, but just know i find it very fishy that a fwd car without alot of torque trapped 90mph and got a 14 second timeslip...
civic si's have done it...lol they dyno around 170-180 whp and 135-145 torque.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by blackngold20
civic si's have done it...lol they dyno around 170-180 whp and 135-145 torque.
yes and when they run 14's they are likely trapping in the mid-high 90's.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

Ok well next time I go I will personally send you a message and pictures of what times I get especially now that I just put on my new header/dp/cat I am siked to see what kind of times I get, I bet you they will be around 14.7.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
WRONG

That's what YOU have been trying to push, not US.

Looks to me like you're having your PERIOD, because it seems you're no longer able to think straight.

Only thing Evo is faster than an SS/SC is from a stop. That''s it.

Please take a Midol first before responding further ...

What a joke. You better take TWO Midol ...

And you're kidding yourself into oblivion if you think a car that makes 10 more whp and weighs 400lbs. more than an SS/SC is gonna kill us from a roll.

Now I know you're lying! Because with the kind of wreckless attitude that you've shown us here, I can't believe you HAVE any friends.

Not by what I've found. But let's go with your "idea" that an Evo puts down 235whp, that STILL wouldn't be enough juice to take us at anything but from a stop.
  • 3400 FAT Evo pounds / 235whp = 14.46 FAT Evo lbs. per/whp
  • 2930 SVELTE SC pounds / 215whp = 13.72 SVELTE lbs. per/whp

Now do you understand?

Let me ask you this, did you ever pass Basic Grade School Math?

If so, THEN DO THE FREAKIN MATH before you spout off any more senseless bullcrap.

Because we're not buying what you're selling here ...
Jealousy hurts.....come to the darkside the 3 red diamonds are calling your name! dont fight it...just go with it....I wont tell anybody...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
I beat up on a few stock STIs at the track here now and then.

flame me all you want....a few local guys who were there that night can attest to it.

if they are driven very well they should win from a dig.
but if the driver isn't bang on, or you race from a roll....you will surprise them.
You most certainly will run across some bad drivers having bad days at the track, and good on you for being in the right place at the right time. Nothing out of the way here.

To everyone else who doesn't get it that Cobalts and Evo's and STi's are in a different league, LMAO.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 PM

I've been trying to figure out why this comparison has been going on anyway...lol...I love my balt but I'd figure comparisons would be against and srt-4 and Si's and stuff. Although so far as classes go I know of a few srt-4's that will give a evo a run for their money. But, also I guess thats what turbo and decent stage kits can do for you...lol Our stage kits via gm pretty much suck
Old 09-02-2007, 08:44 PM

evo ix's put down around 225whp ON MUSTANG DYNOS. I have seen it done and just in case you didn't know, most mustang dyno's read lower than dynojets. They also put down about 240-245 ft lbs. On a dj that translates to eh 235awhp, 255-260 awtq. 8's read a bit lower, but not a ton. peak power numbers don't mean much and the evo has a great torque curve.
I put down 236whp and 236 wtq on a Mustang Dyno with my bone stock Evo IX MR.

Originally Posted by SSBOOST
I'm just happy GM did an extremely smart thing by making a car that could keep up with our popular Evo's and STi's and still be for the most part extremely affordable. Too bad they are discontinuing the SS/SC I really love the car. If only more people knew the REAL facts about it they probably wouldn't go buy an EVO or STi and could easily spend about $1000ish and cream these cars totaling to $22000ish compared to $30k.
$1k worth of mods will get you no where compared to a stock EVO/STI. You can barely get the simple bolt-ons for $1k. Simple bolt ons will not beat a stock Evo/STI. I have had experience with both cars, it just won't happen.

+1, you guys are comparing a mid 14 second car (average) to a mid 13 second car (average) the ss/sc is capable of low 14's, ix's have gone 12's so i am really giving you the benefit of the doubt and the ss/sc is still waaaaay behind. trap speeds of around 100 vs 104-106? they are just incomparable stock and mod for mod. It seems like this forum sees one kill story that is proven by video and then all of a sudden BOOM everyone has beaten them and they are easy kills, no matter what it is.
x2!

Originally Posted by lrk322
I just sold my 12 sec 99 Z28 which would run with evos or STIs. The cobalt is quick, my friend has an intense stage 3 kit, but my Z28 would **** all over the SS/SC cobalt easily. I remember before I got my SS/SC I talked to a few owners and they all thought that their car could beat anything on the road. I just remember thinking- this is why the car gets so little respect- everyone thinks that whoever drives this car is the kid who claims he can beat anything on the road, making himself and other ss/sc owners look like dumbasses.
x2! It is unfortunate for those who know what they're talking about and enjoy cars in general.

HAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAHA! alright i guess hp to weight ratio is the only thing in the automotive industry that means anything now. Guys, listen to this guy he knows everything. Torque curve means nothing, gearing means nothing, etc. go to the track. Please, just go. Here, i'll actually go talk to the evo guys on the forums and find when they are having a meet near you and yo ucan go to the track and watch for yourself while multiple stock ix's trap over 104. You know nothing.
HAHAHAHAHAHA

You can not put the EVO/STI in the same class as the Cobalt, period. It would be like putting the EVO/STI in the same class as a new Z06, it can't be done. The link below is right from this site, it has all the top 1/4 mile times for all Cobalt models (SS/SC, SS/NA, LS), look at it:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...%2F4+mile+list

You will notice the fastest time for a stock SS/SC is 14.06 @ 99 mph. Yes that is impressive for the Cobalt, but to compare that to the average of a 13.4 of a stock Evo is wrong. That is the average stock Evo time compared to the best stock Cobalt time! A .6 difference in the 1/4 mile is not something to sneeze at, it is in fact a significant difference, thus putting the Cobalt in a different class. A .6 difference from the Evo to a different car would put it at 12.8, so maybe a Lamborghini/Porsche/Ferrari, does that mean that they Evo is in the same class as them? No.

The fastest modded Cobalt on stock turbo is a 12.84 @110.53, yet again, very impressive. The mod list is also there (minus some of the supporting mods). As stated before, some of the best Evo stock times are 12.9, compare those two. Highly modded Cobalt (atleast $5k worth of mods - and that is quite a low figure), so that puts the car price up to $26k for a 12.84 pass. An Evo RS goes for $29k and is capable of a 12.9 pass, are the two in the same class? No.

The fastest Cobalt SS/SC with either N20, Turbo swap, or SC swap on the list is a 12.05, yes impressive. A Evo with simple bolt-ons will produce a high 11 to low 12 second pass and will have spent significantly less on mods compared to the SS (which will need upgraded internals, clutch, axels, etc - all $$$$$). Same class? No.

All in all, they're not in the same class. Does Car and Driver or Motortrend base times from a roll race or from a 1/4 mile run? Think about it.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:15 AM

DTM is right. Comparing a ss/sc with evos and STIs is like comparing evo/sti with the new zo6. Its like saying, "oh the new z06 is only a little faster than my sti/evo. I would love to post a link to this thread on the ls1tech and evo/sti forums and see how many of them would laugh at people saying that "evos can't beat us on a roll" I cant believe this discussion is occuring honestly. Take a random sample of 100 evo/stis on the road and 100 ss/sc's and the evo/sti will beat cobalts 90% of the time- rolls or digs. Yes there are exceptions but lets not kid ourselves into making ourselves feel faster than we are. When I see an evo or sti on the road I feel that little bit of jealousy that they'd stomp me, but I feel better by saying "at least mine cost less!" Once I get the S2 I know Ill keep up, but I will still assume i wont win most races. Our cars modded with s2/exhaust/intake are 13.8 qmt and this is pretty much the starting point for most of these cars.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:32 AM

You guys realize most people with EVOs/Sti's mod them too right? Don't take them lightly. Some of you will be humbled soon enough.

I love how people say, "well if I put $10k in mods on my car (to make it $30k vs $30k) I'd be waaay faster. Truth of the matter is, if you really had $10k laying around that you could put into your car then you would have bought something faster.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Banned

wait does the OP drive a 2.4 SS that just makes this thread even better
Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by xonic
You guys realize most people with EVOs/Sti's mod them too right? Don't take them lightly. Some of you will be humbled soon enough.

I love how people say, "well if I put $10k in mods on my car (to make it $30k vs $30k) I'd be waaay faster. Truth of the matter is, if you really had $10k laying around that you could put into your car then you would have bought something faster.

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
I believe he does have the 2.4 SS.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 AM

true my ss is stock and i ran an evo from a 30mph roll it was around 80 degrees outside and we were pretty even although in the higher end he began to pull on me (at about 100mph)
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo > Cobalt. All day everyday.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
I used to have an SS/SC and my buddy has a red one.

Originally Posted by lrk322
DTM is right. Comparing a ss/sc with evos and STIs is like comparing evo/sti with the new zo6. Its like saying, "oh the new z06 is only a little faster than my sti/evo. I would love to post a link to this thread on the ls1tech and evo/sti forums and see how many of them would laugh at people saying that "evos can't beat us on a roll" I cant believe this discussion is occuring honestly. Take a random sample of 100 evo/stis on the road and 100 ss/sc's and the evo/sti will beat cobalts 90% of the time- rolls or digs. Yes there are exceptions but lets not kid ourselves into making ourselves feel faster than we are. When I see an evo or sti on the road I feel that little bit of jealousy that they'd stomp me, but I feel better by saying "at least mine cost less!" Once I get the S2 I know Ill keep up, but I will still assume i wont win most races. Our cars modded with s2/exhaust/intake are 13.8 qmt and this is pretty much the starting point for most of these cars.
And this post is 100% correct. I totally agree.

Last edited by SSBOOST; 09-03-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 PM

stock evos and sti's are nothing for a slobalt wit s2 from a roll, but from a dig thts a diffrent story.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

It's a summary of all 6 pages of this damned thread. Do we really need more controversy?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS4lives

This is soooooo ignorant. SS/SCs cannot beat EVOs/STIs in anything for $1,000 and that argument is considered rice (read:pathetic)
i've seen 13.6 w/ jsut stg 2 and exhaust
Old 09-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Being a previous evo owner I can say that cobalt sc's pull harder from a roll. Even with stage 1. I owned a twin disc evo (with other mods) and I could launch it easily from a roll around 7 grand, but I still feel like the cobalt sc's are quicker from a roll. It depends on the driver too. From 60, you can actually downshift to second in these. End of story, next thread please...
Old 09-03-2007, 02:30 PM

well since we're going for cliche's, if i really wanted to go for a 1/4 mile car vs a quick mid 30 MPG, daily driver fun car like the Cobalt SS/SC, i could run out sport my mullet, put on my wife beater, and my can of Chew rock into a Stang and go pull some smoke shows infront of the local highschools while winking at the 15 year olds
Old 09-03-2007, 02:57 PM

Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM

This whole thread is stupid. How about we compare a 911 Turbo to a Civic Si? I'm pretty sure the Turbo would win off a dig but I think the Civic pulls pretty hard in 3rd...
Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 PM

Link...?

How much is stage 2 and how much was the exhaust, was it just the tip??

Besides that, a well driven EVO/STI would still put a hurting on that car.
stg2 is about $500-550 gm cat back is about $375-450
Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you guys take your troll hats off for just a little while?

they are glowing red and need some downtime.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahaha comon man. ive known you long enough.

just ease up. your gonna break a nail
Old 09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

550 installed?
It's more like 750 installed. Some are higher

Quick Reply: SS/SC vs STi/EVO