2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Those of u in the know about "canned tunes."

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of u in the know about "canned tunes."

Hey Y'all,
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a stage kit for my '07 SS/SC. Will be doing either the ZZP stage 3 or the OTTP stage 2. (Stage 2 on the OTTP as I really don't want to go TVS). Will be doing 60# injectors, 2.8, dual pass, and a stage 3 H/E. Will be doing full exhaust (Bad-Mab, 3"DP of some flavor, and Megan Drift-Spec) and a 3" CAI to round out mods.

Now, getting to why I'm posting this thread. I understand that each company I'm looking at going with will send me a PCM loaded with their tune. Now, I know, I know that a custom tune is always better than ANY canned one, and I will get one done at some point in time. But I also know that it may likely be a number of months before I can get to a Dyno and get this done. So I will have to live with the "canned" tune for a certain amount if time. So..... Does anyone have any experience with both the canned tunes from ZZP and OTTP to be able to say with some certainty on which company does a better job with the tune??

Also, as you can see, I'm still deciding on which company to go with for the kit itself. I'd take any input from those of u with experience on this with who has the better kit. Done alot of reading and research and seems to come down to personal preference. But if there are other factors, please let me know...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
use the search button
Old 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I have an OTTP stage 2. Love the kit. When i hooked up my wideband it pegged 10.0 at WOT. The tune is pig rich. I ran it all summer with it and it still pulled strong. Some have seen 11.5 with their canned tune so that was just my experience. ZZP stage 3 comes with a heat exhanger which is a nice thing. If you decide to go with OTTP just call them first to make sure they have everything in stock. They are known to have stuff on backorder. I personally have had no problems ordering from either company. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zzp all day
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM

My buddy originally had the OTTP kit, said his car didnt run right, switched to the ZZP can tune and it runs better. However, he has a HORRIBLE idle...and it stalls sometimes. He is running an Injen CAI, which is known to be a possible culprit of that.

I just sent my PCM to them (ZZP). Im running an AEM intake, so we will see if my idle is fine...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Erick161
My buddy originally had the OTTP kit, said his car didnt run right, switched to the ZZP can tune and it runs better. However, he has a HORRIBLE idle...and it stalls sometimes. He is running an Injen CAI, which is known to be a possible culprit of that.

I just sent my PCM to them (ZZP). Im running an AEM intake, so we will see if my idle is fine...
i have an ottp tune and my car runs fine but another guy in my town has the zzp one and hes been having the same problems with the idle that u talk about. it sounds like ottp is hit and miss and i got lucky for once

i forget what my afr is at wot... as i took out my wideband a couple months ago. i think it was around 11 or something tho.

ive been running it for a year now and no problems at all.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

I have a ZZP tune as well and so does my buddy who got one on my recommendation. The cars run solid but at idle they bob alot and can stall out if the RPM's are not kept up properly. But it works for now till we can get a proper tune as well. Good luck in the decision making.

I personally have had two separate canned tunes from ZZP the first was with #42's and this current one is with #60's. both with full exhausts, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by thedude411
i have an ottp tune and my car runs fine but another guy in my town has the zzp one and hes been having the same problems with the idle that u talk about. it sounds like ottp is hit and miss and i got lucky for once

i forget what my afr is at wot... as i took out my wideband a couple months ago. i think it was around 11 or something tho.

Yeah, not sure. Ive heard OTTPs is a little more reserved... But i dont know for sure. Regrdless, they are all crap and should just be used till you can get properly tuned...

Originally Posted by LamboW9
I have a ZZP tune as well and so does my buddy who got one on my recommendation. The cars run solid but at idle they bob alot and can stall out if the RPM's are not kept up properly. But it works for now till we can get a proper tune as well. Good luck in the decision making.

I personally have had two separate canned tunes from ZZP the first was with #42's and this current one is with #60's. both with full exhausts, etc.
Do you have an injen or ebay intake? They say specifically using one could cause that. If you use their intake, it eliminates it. Personally, if my canned tune idles like my friends, i will have some issues with ZZP. I find that completely unacceptable.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Yeah, not sure. Ive heard OTTPs is a little more reserved... But i dont know for sure. Regrdless, they are all crap and should just be used till you can get properly tuned...

Do you have an injen or ebay intake? They say specifically using one could cause that. If you use their intake, it eliminates it. Personally, if my canned tune idles like my friends, i will have some issues with ZZP. I find that completely unacceptable.
I love how ZZP says this about the Injen intake. I have one and never had any issue. Their intake is no better than any of the other intakes for the LSJ sorry to say (not to say you can blame them for trying to sell their product). The idle issue is usually due to running the 60lb injectors. If you do not have them set up properly they will cause the idle to fluctuate. This is a common problem with 60lb injectors, and will be almost impossible to straighten out with a mail order (canned tune). Get custom tuned, and your car will idle as smooth as butter.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 01-26-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Hey, I'm that guy! What do you have done to yours?

To the OP:

My idle does suck the big one. . I would have to demod my car and send my PCM across the border to ZZP and then pay shipping again back across the border to me so that option was out. As Staged07SS says, this is probably from the 60lbers I have.

OTTP is where I get most of my stuff now and have always had great luck with them. Anytime I've needed something Josh has always replied back very fast and with great info. The belt that comes with the ZZP Stage 3 kit sucks too. Mine was cracked on arrival and chunked within 2000 kilometres. It's not a real GM Stage 2 belt, I have one of those on my car and have not had a problem since. So don't waste your money on that if you go ZZP.

Anyways, either way your canned tune is probably going to stink. My car still pulls great and I have a lot of fun with it but I can't wait to get it tuned on the rollers or something.

Joel
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I love how ZZP says this about the Injen intake. I have one and never had any issue. Their intake is no better than any of the other intakes for the LSJ sorry to say (not to say you can blame them for trying to sell their product). The idle issue is usually due to running the 60lb injectors. If you do not have them set up properly they will cause the idle to fluctuate. This is a common problem with 60lb injectors, and will be almost impossible to straighten out with a mail order (canned tune). Get custom tuned, and your car will idle as smooth as butter.
yeah no idea. I just really dont want that issue with mine
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
yeah no idea. I just really dont want that issue with mine
I understand.

I would look into a custom tune, or use the ZZP/OTTP (which ever u pick) canned tune as a base tune and get tuned on top of that. It's kinda tough to scale the 60lb injectors through a canned tune. 60lb injectors can idle as smooth as 42's, but you def need to work at it, and get the tune dialed in.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianCobalt
Hey, I'm that guy! What do you have done to yours?

To the OP:

OTTP is where I get most of my stuff now and have always had great luck with them. Anytime I've needed something Josh has always replied back very fast and with great info. The belt that comes with the ZZP Stage 3 kit sucks too. Mine was cracked on arrival and chunked within 2000 kilometres. It's not a real GM Stage 2 belt, I have one of those on my car and have not had a problem since. So don't waste your money on that if you go ZZP.

Anyways, either way your canned tune is probably going to stink. My car still pulls great and I have a lot of fun with it but I can't wait to get it tuned on the rollers or something.

Joel
I have the ottp stage 2 2.8 pulley and 60s with their stage 2 engine mounts. Injen intake with Zzp midlenght header and dp and ottps hardcore sway bar. And **** that isn't installed yet are some stainless steel brake lines and my gmpp exhaust. I have a lot of other crap but it's not performance related lol. People seem to think my control arm bushings r busted so I'll be getting the scabs from ottp with that delrin pin or whatever when I get a job can afford itlol.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM

So about you selling that exhaust to me... .

Joel
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM

Not gunna happen lol. I'm 90% sure it is the touring version so it's going on my car hahaha.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 AM

Well you know I'm waiting in the wings if you change your mind haha.

Joel
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Canned tune sucks. I have the stage 3 zzp kit with 80's and e85 can tune. It idles ok though. I'm getting a real tune hopefully friday.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Banned

hey bro i live in ky. if i were you id do a custom tune from the get go because one, itll be cheaper in the long run, and two more reliable if its with a known tuners and a respecful tuner. If you want to pm me i can give you my info if you want to be tuned through me. But what i would do is get the 60s, 2.8 if you dont have meth, get dual pass, stage two belt, h.e, i can care less about option b, spark plugs, ect. If you want the best route ask..

thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
I have an OTTP stage 2. Love the kit. When i hooked up my wideband it pegged 10.0 at WOT. The tune is pig rich. I ran it all summer with it and it still pulled strong. Some have seen 11.5 with their canned tune so that was just my experience. ZZP stage 3 comes with a heat exhanger which is a nice thing. If you decide to go with OTTP just call them first to make sure they have everything in stock. They are known to have stuff on backorder. I personally have had no problems ordering from either company. Hope this helps a bit.
blue lightning and i got our kits around the same time and have been comparing. i have had the same experience as him. i do want to add that i my kit put on in june, and HAVEN'T been tuned yet, i am planning on doing it this summer. it's perfectly safe, but your not getting the full power. i have noticed that it does jerk and lunge at lower rpm's due to being so rich. my wideband says i run high 10's in 2ndand solid 10 in 3rd and so on

i heard the harsh running is also because of the Crank C.A.S.E. i haven't gotten my CEL turned off yet. i have the injen but it's not a bogging, i just notice that the afr bounces
Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

I have the ottp stage 2 2.8 pulley and 60s with their stage 2 engine mounts. Injen intake with Zzp midlenght header and dp and ottps hardcore sway bar. And **** that isn't installed yet are some stainless steel brake lines and my gmpp exhaust. I have a lot of other crap but it's not performance related lol. People seem to think my control arm bushings r busted so I'll be getting the scabs from ottp with that delrin pin or whatever when I get a job can afford itlol.
I was thinking the other day, we should race sometime. We both have similair mods (2.8, 60's and I need to throw the intake on. I just don't have header/dp.) See if OTTP or ZZP has a better canned tune. (Not to say one company is better, just curious).

Joel
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM

im game. once this snow goes away and i get my summer tires back on lol
Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
use the search button
who cares
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM

im game. once this snow goes away and i get my summer tires back on lol
Sweet, only a few months til the snow is gone .

Joel
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Traviper
blue lightning and i got our kits around the same time and have been comparing. i have had the same experience as him. i do want to add that i my kit put on in june, and HAVEN'T been tuned yet, i am planning on doing it this summer. it's perfectly safe, but your not getting the full power. i have noticed that it does jerk and lunge at lower rpm's due to being so rich. my wideband says i run high 10's in 2ndand solid 10 in 3rd and so on

i heard the harsh running is also because of the Crank C.A.S.E. i haven't gotten my CEL turned off yet. i have the injen but it's not a bogging, i just notice that the afr bounces
We will see, my ZZP shipment should be here soon, and within the next few weeks i'll finally be stage 2. i'll have to get the relearn done as well.