2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Balt might need new engine need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balt might need new engine need help!

Some background 2006 cobalt base model L61 engine automatic. Nothing fancy can't complain got the car for $500 because the previous owner didn't know what was wrong with it was only bad spark plugs. Travel 9 months later odd knocking noise starts but only once in a while, oil is good just changed it, does over heat a little cool was low, almost always needing to be added every couple weeks. Thought it was a rod knock but after talking it over with a couple certified mechanics ( friends as well ). Ruled it out because when idling sounds perfectly normal, not even a chain slap. So was saving up money and waiting for one last paycheck this upcoming friday to get it looked at and taken care of.

Coming home last night usual knocking noise starts up going up a rather large bridge, which is normal but after getting to the top and coasting down the noise still remains and gets louder. Get to my cousins house check the oil ( even though i just topped it off 2 days prior ) showing 4 quarts low roughly, checked the pulley system and belt and there is oil everywhere, looked under the the car and it looks like oil was coming out at a decent rate enough to coat under the passenger side of the car. Friend tells me it sounds like a crank bearing gave out. Not sure still turns over but the noise is enough to make me cry. Love this car and hate to see it go to the scrap yard because of a junk engine, ( had a 2004 cavalier lock up because of the timing chain tensioner ).

Also have a possible engine to replace the bad one for $600 and transmission for $250 same year cobalt it is from 101k mileage. Input would help amazingly.

Last edited by Spikejmh; 02-21-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:20 PM

knock knock
who's there?
it's me, Rod!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by LTBALTBMX
knock knock
who's there?
it's me, Rod!
Funny but most likely the truth, think the rod bearing finally went and borked it? but what about the massive oil leak. I checked under and around the engine i don't see any rods through the block or anywhere for that matter and if that was the case wouldn't it not run? I'm a complete novice when it comes to car engines, even though i did most of the work on this car myself with the help of everybody on this site. never really torn the engine apart.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As long as the *new* engine doesn't have a million miles, i'd say do it. What do you have to lose on a $500 car? That new engine (assuming in good health) will last you many more years, once again, assuming that you'll take care of it.

Oil leak could be too many things. I would have someone start it and see if you can spot the leak. Maybe try cleaning it off before. Make sure it's got oil in it though lol.

Does it smoke?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by TStone
As long as the *new* engine doesn't have a million miles, i'd say do it. What do you have to lose on a $500 car? That new engine (assuming in good health) will last you many more years, once again, assuming that you'll take care of it.

Oil leak could be too many things. I would have someone start it and see if you can spot the leak. Maybe try cleaning it off before. Make sure it's got oil in it though lol.

Does it smoke?
Ended up getting a new car Thought I had a engine ready for $700 including transmission with 101k mileage but he sold it without contacting me. Picked up a 2002 Ford Taurus SES for $2000 143k mileage duratec 3.0 24 valve. And it is clean. I am going to try and piece out the cobalt because I know i can get more $$$ out of it then just scraping it and especially if it will help other balt owners out.

I do appreciate the info folks.