Coolant spill into oil pan? - Cobalt SS Network

2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Coolant spill into oil pan?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Coolant spill into oil pan?

Hey guys,
This isn't a Cobalt, but a 2003 Cavalier with the 2.2 Ecotec (My kids car). I replaced the timing chain, tensioner and guides, head gasket and bolts, antifreeze and oil. Replaced and torqued everything per specification, started it up and ran like a champ! No external leaks or white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Just for kicks, I pulled the oil plug and drained some oil which appeared to be a light milky brown. Coolant? Here's the thing, when I changed the timing chain on my 2.4 Cobalt, I was warned to be careful with the bolts as they could fall down in the oil pan. When I pulled the timing chain cover, about a glassful of coolant spilled out. Could the coolant have gone down into the oil pan giving it the light milky brown color? The coolant level in the reservoir is still full, so do I just go ahead and change the oil and check again? Compression test showed approximately 182, 185, 185, and 190.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

When you pulled the timing cover there should not have been any coolant in there. Did you try to find the source of the water? Possibly the water pump leaking internally into the block? Definitely keep an eye on the oil level/condition. The way I found out where my coolant leak was coming from was pulling the oil pan and pressurizing the coolant system. Then I could see exactly how the coolant was getting into the oil.