2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

High Compression N/A build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Compression N/A build

well im forced in to driving the old colb again, its an 07 2.2 lt. Its auto and i have some cash to blow. Is there any where to get high compression pistons ( or whatever else i need) and also if i raise the compression will i need new valves or rods or both? im pretty much looking for some enlightenment please.Thanks!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
This sounds dumb, but throw a 50-75 shot of nitrous on there and be done with it.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM

no im not looking to do that sorry
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwin
Well you must not know much about motors.

If you want high compression pistons you need tuning and most likely valve springs and rods.

All of which would net you nothing near a 75 wetshot of nitrous.

Don't waste your money, buy a stereo.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Then expect to spend much dinero on the stuff you will need plus tuning and all that good stuff.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 PM

You guys were pretty helpful.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM

okay, i have done this on a honda engine before, so yes you can get high compression pistons, even if you have to have them custom made, luckily wiesco, and i believe je both make high compression pistons for the ecotec, you really dont need to get new rods, or valves really because the stock internals have been boosted, but you will need all new bearings at least, its also just insurance if you do replace them, then where you will already need to tune the engine any ways you might as well send the head off to a machine shop and get a street, or race port and polish. some cams im not sure whats really out there because of the cps but i have heard that comp has a cam that you pull the cps off your stock cams and put onto theirs, then get someone to help tune, trifecta will get you close then go to a local dyno shop, dont let ppl knock on you for not wanting a bottle, the feeling of a n/a settup thats done complete will make you cream your pants, hope i help
Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 08ls-coupe
okay, i have done this on a honda engine before, so yes you can get high compression pistons, even if you have to have them custom made, luckily wiesco, and i believe je both make high compression pistons for the ecotec, you really dont need to get new rods, or valves really because the stock internals have been boosted, but you will need all new bearings at least, its also just insurance if you do replace them, then where you will already need to tune the engine any ways you might as well send the head off to a machine shop and get a street, or race port and polish. some cams im not sure whats really out there because of the cps but i have heard that comp has a cam that you pull the cps off your stock cams and put onto theirs, then get someone to help tune, trifecta will get you close then go to a local dyno shop, dont let ppl knock on you for not wanting a bottle, the feeling of a n/a settup thats done complete will make you cream your pants, hope i help
i bolded all the *you should have searched phrases and words*, wtf do u mean by boosted??? our rods are the weakest link on ths engne, they are what limits the engine to GM's 250chp limit...your gunna do all this, forge pistons, and leave the weakest link to be the weakest link, doesnt do you no good, you wll need new rods...use the eagle rods...use the weisco pistons, arp head studs, get a port and polish to match your cam set up...get a ceramis head gasket, since the engine will be apart anyway, might aswell bullet proof it, ferrea SS valves, and after all that is done, tow your car to a local dyno shop and start the dyno tuning...which will cost you more, but atleast you will know ur engine is bullet proof, and whatever shop you go to, they will have the use Ls2 edit, that works on ur ecm
Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM

the way i look at it, is if your gonna take your motor apart to change the pistons, then you might as well do it all, beats doing it twice.
i highly recomend the Eagle H beam rods!
as for pistons, so with Wisco
i have wisco 9.0:1 picstons but i am running a low compression motor build.

but yea, if your taking the motor apart to do pistons, you are dumb not to do the rods too!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
Well you must not know much about motors.

If you want high compression pistons you need tuning and most likely valve springs and rods.

All of which would net you nothing near a 75 wetshot of nitrous.

Don't waste your money, buy a stereo.
you must like the fast and the furious alot...right?

Originally Posted by Try2k
You guys were pretty helpful.
haha

hmmm ok thanks for all the other suggestions...im gunna do some math and keep saving my pennies and ill decide on what to do. cause this is starting to make forced induction sound easy lol. No but seriously my mom may make me take of my tints. I thought they make the car look awsome. But if she does im not gunna blow 2k on rims n rubber like i was planning on. I would possible boost it but idk yet. Im going to college next year and i really want something better to drive around but theres always the question of if its worth it.

Last edited by Kwin; 08-15-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM

theres always the question of if its worth it.
not in my opinion...

are you planning to do anything else to the motor or just build the bottom end? this is going to be a rather pointless build unless you have a plan to increase the amount of airflow to the engine.

and then you have the factor in the $$/gain which is horrible for 4 cyl NA setups
Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM

For an N/A build:

Pistons, Rods, Rings, Valves, valve springs, retainers, head work, cams, exhaust, big bore throttle body, intake....

Then the obvious things like tuning, clutch, yadda yadda... you'll spend just as much you might as well slap a snail on it and have more fun with her!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
For an N/A build:

Pistons, Rods, Rings, Valves, valve springs, retainers, head work, cams, exhaust, big bore throttle body, intake....

Then the obvious things like tuning, clutch, yadda yadda... you'll spend just as much you might as well slap a snail on it and have more fun with her!
Agreed!