2010+ Future Cruze Discussions Discussions and information related to the upcoming 2010 Chevy Cruze

Cruze Coupe SS photoshop:

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant belive they got rid of the ss/tc i thought they would have worked on it for at least another 2 years. then they goto a cruze, i guess its fine if your older and wanting a car that pretty pratical. they should at least make a chevy cruze ss. if not i lost all hope in chevy . i guess they might a thought the camaro was going to be there big break out.....idk sucks
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 08SSTCRD
As opposed to weighing a million pounds and looking like a riced up Lancer like your car??
Could be worse. Could be a camaro wannabe dressed in drag that weighs even more.

OH SNAP!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Acey
That is sick!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by [10]
^^^This. Nice job on the shop. Chevy needs to get off their asses and make this car

You mean something like this?

Last edited by Jookycola; 02-27-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
Could be worse. Could be a camaro wannabe dressed in drag that weighs even more.

OH SNAP!
If that made any sense at all, it might have had a chance at being funny.

Instead, it just made you look like a fool.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 PM

YUM..! White please..?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by scotch89
i cant belive they got rid of the ss/tc i thought they would have worked on it for at least another 2 years. then they goto a cruze, i guess its fine if your older and wanting a car that pretty pratical. they should at least make a chevy cruze ss. if not i lost all hope in chevy . i guess they might a thought the camaro was going to be there big break out.....idk sucks
You do realize the ratio of Cobalt SS's sold vs base Cobalts, right?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM

You do realize the ratio of Cobalt SS's sold vs base Cobalts, right?
exactly. Its a niche market and GM doesnt wanna buy into it anymore. The SRT4 was the first to drop and it appears the SS is gone for now. Ford had the shitty SVT fuccus but made tracks with that car LONG before the other domestic tuners were canned.

I guess what Im saying is we have pretty much witnessed the death of the domestic tuner market for now. I really wish the big 3 would come out with more tuners but I seriously doubt it will happen anytime soon. Honestly the ONLY forseeable tuner coming out in the next few years that I can think of being REMOTELY plausible is the Focus RS. The reason for this is because it already exists in other countries and it wouldnt take much for Ford to adapt it to the US market. Otherwise it looks like everyone is stuck with used domestic tuners or imports.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 PM

exactly. Its a niche market and GM doesnt wanna buy into it anymore. The SRT4 was the first to drop and it appears the SS is gone for now. Ford had the shitty SVT fuccus but made tracks with that car LONG before the other domestic tuners were canned.

I guess what Im saying is we have pretty much witnessed the death of the domestic tuner market for now. I really wish the big 3 would come out with more tuners but I seriously doubt it will happen anytime soon. Honestly the ONLY forseeable tuner coming out in the next few years that I can think of being REMOTELY plausible is the Focus RS. The reason for this is because it already exists in other countries and it wouldnt take much for Ford to adapt it to the US market. Otherwise it looks like everyone is stuck with used domestic tuners or imports.
Some quick comments, the SVT Focus was a great handling car, fun to drive, and comfortable and a versatile hatch. Didn't do too bad on the track either...
YouTube - Focus SVT vs Mitsu EVO VIII
^- stock SVT right after the Evo VIII came out.

I bought two of them new and also picked up another used one last year. When it was being developed it wasn't so bad power wise but Ford dropped the ball by not even offering the real second-gen Focus here in 2005 while the Europeans got the turbocharged ST and later the RS.

Speaking of the current RS it is already dead as that platform is on the way out to be replaced with the new global Focus early next year. And since we're getting that car also means we're getting the new performance variant as well when the 2012 Focus ST arrives here in about a year.

If you're looking for domestics I'd bet Chevy will have something to counter as they already have all the pieces to make a Cruze SS, the question is if that will accompany a refresh as the car globally is already a couple years into its model life. For Chrysler they'll have the hot version of the Fiat 500 in another year or so and within a couple years should have some new compact offerings shared with the Fiat group but we need the base models here before we can even start talking about performance variants.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackbird
Some quick comments, the SVT Focus was a great handling car, fun to drive, and comfortable and a versatile hatch. Didn't do too bad on the track either...

I bought two of them new and also picked up another used one last year. When it was being developed it wasn't so bad power wise but Ford dropped the ball by not even offering the real second-gen Focus here in 2005 while the Europeans got the turbocharged ST and later the RS.

Speaking of the current RS it is already dead as that platform is on the way out to be replaced with the new global Focus early next year. And since we're getting that car also means we're getting the new performance variant as well when the arrives here in about a year.

If you're looking for domestics I'd bet Chevy will have something to counter as they already have all the pieces to make a Cruze SS, the question is if that will accompany a refresh as the car globally is already a couple years into its model life. For Chrysler they'll have the hot version of the Fiat 500 in another year or so and within a couple years should have some new compact offerings shared with the Fiat group but we need the base models here before we can even start talking about performance variants.
The Focus SVT was definitely a cool hatch.

You have to learn to ignore 1BADSS/SC, he's a mitsubitchi fanboy and hates on anything thats not a gay ass evo. Its pathetic, but thats his life.

That video really just proves that the Evo is nothing special...which we all already knew, besides the ricers on here. Its merely a Lancer with upgraded parts, which is no different than the SVT version of the standard focus. The lancer chassis is as basic as they come, but with the upgrades that they do it makes it more capable. The Focus chassis is actually much better than the Lancer chassis in standard form, the only advantage the Evo has is better brakes and a turbo, and of course AWD.

If Ford makes an SVT version of the new Focus and gives it a turbo engine, AWD, and Brembos, its going to send the Evo back to its rice patty. The new Focus chassis is light years of that old piece of **** lancer platorm, and the Focus would also weigh less and cost much less as well.

Last edited by 08SSTCRD; 02-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:06 PM

The current Euro-market Focus RS (that is now end-of-life along with that generation of the Euro Focus) can already out-handle and out-lap the Evo in various testing and it's "only" FWD. The next generation car that we're getting with the rest of the world will have the turbocharged, front drive ST model but it's not known if there will be another Focus RS or even maybe a Fiesta RS but if either one of those happens will probably stick with front drive and I have no problem with that.

I like the Focus a lot and the next one is looking pretty good, but if GM came out with a Cruze coupe similar to a few of them in this thread or gave us the new overseas hatch version in a 3-door and built a SS model on it with the same or better performance than the outgoing Cobalt SS Turbo, with the better refinement and build quality it might be a tough choice if I had to decide between that or the Focus.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 AM

The Focus SVT was definitely a cool hatch.

You have to learn to ignore 1BADSS/SC, he's a mitsubitchi fanboy and hates on anything thats not a gay ass evo. Its pathetic, but thats his life.

That video really just proves that the Evo is nothing special...which we all already knew, besides the ricers on here. Its merely a Lancer with upgraded parts, which is no different than the SVT version of the standard focus. The lancer chassis is as basic as they come, but with the upgrades that they do it makes it more capable. The Focus chassis is actually much better than the Lancer chassis in standard form, the only advantage the Evo has is better brakes and a turbo, and of course AWD.

If Ford makes an SVT version of the new Focus and gives it a turbo engine, AWD, and Brembos, its going to send the Evo back to its rice patty. The new Focus chassis is light years of that old piece of **** lancer platorm, and the Focus would also weigh less and cost much less as well.
where am I hating on anything in my statement? The fact of the matter is Ford fucked up when they didnt FI the SVT and kept it na. This is the way it is period. It doesnt compete with its domestic equivalents because it didnt have the power to. Talk about a fanboi you hate on ALL SPORT COMPACTS with ur pos stock V8 camaro wannabe trans am. Whats funny is the evo is one of the most capable platforms on the market available to the 4 banger crowd yet you hate on that the most. In addition you know NOTHING about 4 banger platforms yet talk as if you do so please go back to the camaro wannabe forums. So far everything u have said about the evo is completely wrong. this just shows ur typical V8 mindset ignorance.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 02-26-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 AM

Speaking of the current RS it is already dead as that platform is on the way out to be replaced with the new global Focus early next year. And since we're getting that car also means we're getting the new performance variant as well when the 2012 Focus ST arrives here in about a year.

the problem with the previous focus SVT is it didnt have the power to compete with its direct competitors. The SRT4, IRL, WRX, etc all had more power to boot in stock form, and handle comparatively around a track. The only possible competitors that the svt had is the si, ser, and gti. They all can run a low 15 stock, however they cant compete with the other cars I listed because its a na car vs FI.

As for an older svt handling comparatively to an awd platform Id have to disagree. Driver error yes, car capabilities no. Im not knocking the svt either so dont think that. The reason I say this is because the technology in the evo and sti make them handle the way they do. The evo has active center differential, LSD in all wheels, and active yaw control. The sti has RT awd, and an on board console that can adjust power distribution between the wheels with the pressing of a few buttons. Not to mention they have brakes that are awesome, functional spoilers, and a highly modified suspension out of the box.

Now an RS, or an ST Id love to see. Honestly in my opinion ford fucked up when they DIDNT FI the svt. If the SVT had more power it would have definitely given the IRL and SRT4 a run for the money. Im a huge fan of hatches and an even bigger fan of fords. I have owned 3 fords thus far and all of them were very good to me. Im looking forward to owning a termi someday.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 AM

You seem to be a little off on your comparisons. The Integra Type R was discontinued before the SVT Focus was on the market and was much more expensive when I had looked at them in the late '90s. Even consider it would have been a used car at the time, the Focus had more torque with a thicker power band and similar handling numbers. The WRX came out a year before the SVT Focus and was quite a bit more expensive as well and didn't handle anywhere near as well unless you regularly race on snow and ice.

In the early 2000s if you wanted a reasonably priced sport compact type of vehicle you had the Sentra SE-R Spec V, Civic Si, Tiburon GT, Mazdaspeed Protegé, SVT Focus and if you stretched your budget the VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, and the Impreza WRX. The SVT Focus had the best handling balance of those by track time and instrumented handling tests (the Protegé and Cooper S being pretty close but with more ride compromises). When the Neon SRT-4 came out in late in the model year for '03 it did bring a bunch more power to the table but didn't handle anywhere near as well but you're right, it did raise the bar on power for the segment. Keep in mind that was almost two years after the SVT Focus had been out.

The video I posted did have a not so great driver in the Evo but that's not to say the Focus couldn't keep up on many tracks despite a significant power disadvantage. I'm guessing you didn't track cars back when they were new because you'd probably have seen that happen. AWD is great and the Evo and STi have great advantages in poor traction conditions but they're also much heavier, understeer at their limits (and you can't do much when that occurs), and were priced $10k higher.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 AM

God damn we need a coupe before we start thinking about a vert. I hate verts. We've all seen these chops a million times but this is what we need, nothing more, nothing less... hell if GM ever made a Cruze coupe that looked like this I wouldn't even give a damn about the powertrain.

They need to make this car i love this photoshop im about to purchase a new car and if they made this i would be all over this
Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 AM

i had a buddy who supercharged his SVT focus, it was a quick little car.

in all fairness though, besides the fact that the evo pulls away every time... if the evo driver wasn't such a horrible driver, there wouldnt have been a focus up his ass in every turn. he brakes early, then rides the brakes through the turn (don't ever brake when turning) and doesn't accelerate out of the turn, nor does he use the apex in 99% of the turns he made. either way, i've seen sleeper cars smash brand new skylines among other "high end" cars, it's all in how you make your car.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jookycola

How 'bout this?
A quickie PS i did a while ago.
Now this I do like. The other photoshops I've seen don't appeal to me all that much. lol
Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Amazing what removing 2 doors can do for this car. As a Sedan it's ok looking. As a coupe? It's pretty cool looking. This car begs for a 2-door.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Banned

where am I hating on anything in my statement? The fact of the matter is Ford fucked up when they didnt FI the SVT and kept it na. This is the way it is period. It doesnt compete with its domestic equivalents because it didnt have the power to. Talk about a fanboi you hate on ALL SPORT COMPACTS with ur pos stock V8 camaro wannabe trans am. Whats funny is the evo is one of the most capable platforms on the market available to the 4 banger crowd yet you hate on that the most. In addition you know NOTHING about 4 banger platforms yet talk as if you do so please go back to the camaro wannabe forums. So far everything u have said about the evo is completely wrong. this just shows ur typical V8 mindset ignorance.
Go cry a river over on your evo forums riceboy, nobody here cares.

Your car it cheap, ugly, and sounds like crap. Get used to it, nobody is going to give you any props here

I know nothing about "4 banger platforms"
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 PM

Go cry a river over on your evo forums riceboy, nobody here cares.

Your car it cheap, ugly, and sounds like crap. Get used to it, nobody is going to give you any props here

I know nothing about "4 banger platforms"
Don't you own a evo 9 1bad?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 PM

You seem to be a little off on your comparisons. The Integra Type R was discontinued before the SVT Focus was on the market and was much more expensive when I had looked at them in the late '90s. Even consider it would have been a used car at the time, the Focus had more torque with a thicker power band and similar handling numbers. The WRX came out a year before the SVT Focus and was quite a bit more expensive as well and didn't handle anywhere near as well unless you regularly race on snow and ice.

In the early 2000s if you wanted a reasonably priced sport compact type of vehicle you had the Sentra SE-R Spec V, Civic Si, Tiburon GT, Mazdaspeed Protegé, SVT Focus and if you stretched your budget the VW GTI, Mini Cooper S, and the Impreza WRX. The SVT Focus had the best handling balance of those by track time and instrumented handling tests (the Protegé and Cooper S being pretty close but with more ride compromises). When the Neon SRT-4 came out in late in the model year for '03 it did bring a bunch more power to the table but didn't handle anywhere near as well but you're right, it did raise the bar on power for the segment. Keep in mind that was almost two years after the SVT Focus had been out.

The video I posted did have a not so great driver in the Evo but that's not to say the Focus couldn't keep up on many tracks despite a significant power disadvantage. I'm guessing you didn't track cars back when they were new because you'd probably have seen that happen. AWD is great and the Evo and STi have great advantages in poor traction conditions but they're also much heavier, understeer at their limits (and you can't do much when that occurs), and were priced $10k higher.

i only quoted yoiur post to get your attentions, Do you still own those X-11's in your sig? pics? :drool:
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM

Yep, I've had both of them since I was in high school back in the mid-'90s and actually had a third one for a while (all of them silver) that I sold before I graduated.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Garret
Don't you own a evo 9 1bad?
yup.