ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

lsj air to air problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Omega_5
Freakta, STS2/SS... keep on doing what your doing....
I don't see what is so impressive about 286whp on a TVS. That is what I made on the stock IM.

Either way, what I'm wondering is; are your comments directed to the fact that they used the OEM manifold?
For me yes. If I got a new one then that would be the best design. jk

I agree we should hold off on the flaming until all the results are in. Those IAT2 temps are pretty impressive.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The impressive thing is, he just ran a base tune with no timing to get AFR strait. And, it was only running 14psi.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and no meth
Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
I don't see what is so impressive about 286whp on a TVS. That is what I made on the stock IM.
Your overlooking the other details, as pointed out by Maxim_X.

Originally Posted by Maxim_X
The impressive thing is, he just ran a base tune with no timing to get AFR strait. And, it was only running 14psi.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Your overlooking the other details, as pointed out by Maxim_X.
As in "no timing"? What does that mean exactly? How many degrees? You can't amp up the timing on a TVS without meth injection or racing gas anyway.

And 14psi? I would really like to know the theory behind this. This is on a stock head right?

Correct me if I am wrong but the Map sensor on the IM is after the laminova cores. So it is reading the pressure between the exit of the laminova cores and the head. At that point in the IM the main restriction is the inlet ports on the head.

How much timing?

Last edited by ebristol; 06-24-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM

I stand by what I said earlier, this air to air setup vs proper cooling mods is not going to yield much better numbers if any at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
Correct me if I am wrong but the Map sensor on the IM is after the laminova cores. So it is reading the pressure between the exit of the laminova cores and the head. At that point in the IM the main restriction is the inlet ports on the head.
That's a common misconception. The guys that commented on porting the stock manifold said the same thing; that the pressure would rise, not drop. When really, the manifold pressure would indeed drop due to a higher flow.

I know it's a hard concept to grasp... but remember, it's a dynamic system... not a static system.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:43 PM

That's a common misconception. The guys that commented on porting the stock manifold said the same thing; that the pressure would rise, not drop. When really, the manifold pressure would indeed drop due to a higher flow.

I know it's a hard concept to grasp... but remember, it's a dynamic system... not a static system.
Maybe I don't understand this pressure and restriction stuff that well.

Let me ask a simple question just to make sure I understand.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Neither.
Your missing half of the system on those diagrams.

Edit:
PM me on the other site, I'll explain more there.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Neither.
Your missing half of the system on those diagrams.
I left them out intentionally. Imagine a blower bolted to the left side and the head on the other. Same amount of output from the blower. Same amount of restriction from the head.

PM me on the other site, I'll explain more there.
ok.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
omega would you explain it here also i would like to read about it also
Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Pressure shouldn't drop, air flow velocity should drop. The supercharger is always making 12 psi. Doesn't matter size of charge piping or manifold design. Pressure won't change. At best, a small decrease from being cooled. In at a water to air setup, .1 psi.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many people see pressure drop in a a2a intercooler setup.

Regardless his psi is low because of the ported head.

By no timing I mean they are probably around 16-15 advance instead of where he is going to be meth. He should see as high as 25 advance with his direct port meth setup.

Last edited by Maxim_X; 06-24-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
Pressure shouldn't drop, air flow velocity should drop. The supercharger is always making 12 psi. Doesn't matter size of charge piping or manifold design. Pressure won't change. At best, a small decrease from being cooled. In at a water to air setup, .1 psi.
What?
Airflow is going to drop if you provide less of a restriction? Is that what your trying to say?
I think you missed out on a flow dynamics course somewhere....
BTW... your still assuming it's a static system... think dynamic.

Anyways... I'm off to go camping... hopefully within the next 5 days someone around here figures out how flow dynamics work.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM

This is crazy! Freakta has a ported head and a realy efficient intercooler I benched his head and flowed it as well as built the manifold. The bottom line is it's flowing 40% more mass/volume/air at .240 inches of lift, then he was origanly just from the ported head, his luminovas where so increadibly clogged from all of the oil vapor coming from the emmisions that the designed needed to be changed so now he runs a special pcv system that can handle boost. The stock pcv valve just burps oil into the manifold every time you boost up, which is killing your power over time. Everyone can vouch for this; get new parts pulley, injectors and such then you get it tuned you make 260ish. In 6 months to a year you go dyno your car again all the sudden your making 190-220ish hummmm wonder why? The whole point of this discusion is this the stock manifold is a piece of ****!!!!!!! I don't care if mine doesn't make a hundred more horse power or whatever the fact is you wont be robing your self of horse power over time and you have colder AIT2 which means denser air which means less boost to make more power which equals SAFE!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
how do you build a boost friendly pcv system
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM

I cant tell you everything cause then everyone would build one.... I can say it's from an
OBD 1 vehichle..., hahahahah. No I use the PCV for a slant nose porsche turbo that wont burp oil into the manifold. You also have to tap the head where the stock PCV butted up to, to except a barbed fitting. It was trial and error, I know this you cant just build an intake manifold if you don't know anything about these cars..
Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by freakta
and no meth
i don't get it.. i ran a base tune on my tvs setup, made 285whp and got flamed by zoomer because i didn't hit over 300. my original tune was very rich, and had very conservative timing as well. if you saw my thread, you would probably agree that there is much to be had in a retune. stock intake manifold with dual-pass/opt B/heat exchanger and boostin 19-20 psi

now, freakta, don't get me wrong. i am glad that you are looking into this and have made progress. it's only my opinion that it would probably not be worth the cost/benefit ratio - at least to me. but keep up the good work, and keep the thread updated.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
i don't get it.. i ran a base tune on my tvs setup, made 285whp and got flamed by zoomer because i didn't hit over 300. my original tune was very rich, and had very conservative timing as well. if you saw my thread, you would probably agree that there is much to be had in a retune. stock intake manifold with dual-pass/opt B/heat exchanger and boostin 19-20 psi

now, freakta, don't get me wrong. i am glad that you are looking into this and have made progress. it's only my opinion that it would probably not be worth the cost/benefit ratio - at least to me. but keep up the good work, and keep the thread updated.
Thank you. I'm interested to see the final graph but I think the stock intake manifold with proper cooling mods can handle the job. This just ruins all flow.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM

I'm confused lol...how does this setup go TVS > FMIC > IM > Head?

Any pics of the stock IM off the head? I'm not understanding where the drivers side pipe runs to. It looks like they both run to the bottom of the IM?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IonNinja
I'm confused lol...how does this setup go TVS > FMIC > IM > Head?

Any pics of the stock IM off the head? I'm not understanding where the drivers side pipe runs to. It looks like they both run to the bottom of the IM?
they probably do. the half of the IM closest to the front of the car has a pipe coming out of it, so air that would just be entering the IM in a stock setup is instead now leaving the IM (pre-laminova cores) and going through the FMIC. After that, it re-enters the back half of the IM (post laminova cores) and through the ports to the head.

At least, this is how i understand it.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
they probably do. the half of the IM closest to the front of the car has a pipe coming out of it, so air that would just be entering the IM in a stock setup is instead now leaving the IM (pre-laminova cores) and going through the FMIC. After that, it re-enters the back half of the IM (post laminova cores) and through the ports to the head.

Ahhh so the front portion of the intake mani is blocked off from the back...didnt know that. guess I'm an IM noob

makes alot more sense that way
Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 PM

It gets rid of the small pulley heat soak issues, that I know. I'm a geniuss, hahahahahha!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89

pretty much it, just no laminovas in there to hold things up
Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM

^^^Yah!^^^^

Quick Reply: lsj air to air problem