ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

new guy ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy ??

I new to the ecotec engines. I plan on buying a HHR SS soon. I have a couple of questions on engine building.

How much boost can the 2.0 lnf hold
how much can the factory turbo put out or is it worth building up to put out more
Are you guys running bigger throttle bodies or tb plates.
How about exhaust manifolds with external wastegates and BOV's. I have read somewhere that its a waste to go that route. what do you guys think
How about the tranny. Whats the most that it can hold.
I want to build a beastly daily driver that nobody around here would expect. I havent even seen a HHR SS on the streets around here. But I dont want to go to crazy cause of money and its a daily driver and I have way too many other projects.

I am planning on doing these mods. Pedders springs, short throw shifter, depos, catted dp(maybe), intake, Mxp muffler (maybe). I like it deep mellow but quiet. maybe a cutout, Gm upgrade and Hp tuner. ANd perhaps a bigger turbo if possible. i build and work on drag bikes and Im around alot of drag cars so there is always turbos for sale. And i could build my own manifold.

All of this is still a maybe but what do you guys think. Im going after a stout GTI and a couple of other VW guys around here.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 AM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well we have SEEN the stock K04 boost up to 30 psi. But popular opinion is that the thing just generates heat and doesn't flow any better after 24 psi. Stock TB is all that's used. External wastegates and BOVs are a waste on the stock turbo. Tranny kinda just depends on how hard you drive it. But the stock turbo won't make enough power to blow the tranny.

Don't expect much more than 330whp on stock turbo while staying reliable.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zzp had a efr turbo that made 550 on a lnf.
Gm stg1 map upgrades,hard charge pipes, new inter cooler to get rid of the plastic end caps, and hpt will get you to 350. New turbo and 400 reliable hp is attainable with corn. That's my goal in 2 years when my redline is paid off
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought guys was getting over 400 on pump gas with a better turbo.
I really wanted a new bov for the sound. I love that sound.
Is there anyone that has tried a better intake manifold and a better flowing exhaust tubular manifod. I figure at least I would do all the bolt on mods I could do before going inside. And im handy at fabricating. I just dont want to be the test dummy