ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

New treating process may give us alot added durability on couple parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New treating process may give us alot added durability on couple parts

Some cool technology filtering down from the NHRA ranks . I cant afford $700 axles , so Im likely gonna try this this spring with a set of stock axles . Also with seeingly alot of cars that will be testing the limits of the F35 trans ( hint ....it a very strong trans with the exception of the iron input and output shafts ) , this may buy ALOT of strenght treating the input and output shafts in the transmission . Im all too familiar with the glass jaw 7.5 ring gear in the f-bodies and their test car was a 2000 firebird with a built engine and 200 shot of spray , 3.73 ring gear and a 6-speed to boot . The car broke the ring gear on average ever 6-10 passes . After the treating it went 40 passes without fail then removed and inspected . Gear pattern was perfect and the ring gear was still looked brand new . They averaged 28* cooler differtial temps and the car made 13 more RWHP . That right there is enuff to pique my interest .

What is MIKRONITE®

Mikronite® is the brand name for a surface finishing process that strengthens, smoothes and polishes materials to enhance their performance.

In other words, Mikronite® improves sharpness, durability, lubricity and impact resistance while reducing friction, resistance and corrosion.

What Is The Process?
The Mikronite® process is based on a simple concept of applying lapping-like scratching under extremely high compression. Objects are placed in a fluidized medium containing an abrasive in a specially designed reverse centrifugal accelerating agitator. The medium is non-caustic and generally organic.
As the objects are revolved, they are subjected to massive G forces so that very fine particles --- as small as dust --- operate multiple times their mass and weight. To solve the problem of static revolving forces --- because centrifugal forces spin things away from the center --- the reverse centrifugal forces cause a wave-like motion creating a sinusoidal agitation.
Once accelerated, the medium slides uniformly across the object's surface with controlled and even distribution of pressure.

How Does It Work?
The Mikronite® process works by compressing the exterior surface of an object to reduce slip planes. To understand slip planes, visualize a brick wall which usually cracks along a line that looks like a staircase. This fracture line is a slip plane. By compressing or meshing those relatively straight lines, the Mikronite® process puts them in a tongue and groove or interwoven relationship.

This produces molecular-level changes to the surface of an object without changing its size, shape or metallurgy. The depth of this change can be controlled for the best blend of hardness and ductile properties. For example, it is usually desirable to make the exterior harder and leave the interior ductile so the material has the best of flexibility and strength without brittleness.

What Is The Result?
As a result, surface characteristics of an object are extremely optimized making them harder, smoother, more polished, more uniform and more corrosion resistant with higher lubricity and less friction.

What Mikronite® is NOT
Mikronite® is solely a mechanical action process. It is not a coating, and it does not involve an active heat process nor caustic chemicals of any kind.
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...IN%20PAGE.HTML
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 AM

Well that definitly sounds interesting.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Yeah that sounds like it is the real deal right there.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 PM

Very interesting. I would contact them and see what they can do. I noticed it specifies ring gears, but I would imagine that if it smoothes the surface and eliminates or reduces the shift planes it should make a significant diffence.

In my properties of materials class it was more a matter of the material structure/finish than it was the material itself. You could have a strong metal but if it wasn't machined properly you could get the same results from a properly machined piece of a weaker metal.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:01 PM

It looks like all they do is polish the parts??
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM

Tranny temps drop a little, and more power to the ground.
Seems like it works.
He does rsx-s trannies for $1495.
Cobalt would have to be similar price, maybe less...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spastic Chicken
It looks like all they do is polish the parts??
to severely over simplify it, yes. Believe it or not the slightest flaw in the surface can yield catastrophic results. Ask any jet engine mechanic.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:37 PM

It looks liek they were just introducing the process with ring gears , and smartly picked a 7.5 10 bolt ring gear as an example . This process could be applied the same to an axle , or input/output shaft with the same results .
Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 PM

.....and the polished appearence is simply a result of process . There was no actual polishing at all .
Old 12-10-2006, 09:35 PM

I believe the original process was develpoed to aid in man-made heart devices.
You think a machine is fussy, try the human body...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 PM

this procees would probably cost just as much as to do to axles as it would be to buy new ones no?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 AM

sounds interesting but if its that much i'd rather go with new axle's
Old 12-11-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I really don;t think that would solve the problem with the axles... they just taper down too much by the cv joint making them inherently weak, probably done to save the tranny. but I think it would def help on our input/output shafts... I might give em a try... got 2 blown trannies to play with (both broken difs)
Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
It looks liek they were just introducing the process with ring gears , and smartly picked a 7.5 10 bolt ring gear as an example . This process could be applied the same to an axle , or input/output shaft with the same results .
I don't think it would help with a stock axle. The axle is designed with a shear pin in it so even if this process makes the rest of the axle stronger I think it will still break in the same place.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by max_boost
I don't think it would help with a stock axle. The axle is designed with a shear pin in it so even if this process makes the rest of the axle stronger I think it will still break in the same place.
After I thought about it more , I started to think the same thing . I am gonna speak with them about the trans though .
Old 12-11-2006, 05:58 PM

That is some interesting information.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:01 PM

what if we were to use the axles from the saturn redline? i hear there axles dont taper and they dont have problems like we do.. also i think it will work on the tranny, a guy i know said he heard of companies strengthening up trannys using a method similar.