ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

Research Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Research Build

I have done some looking around and I'm interested to ask if anyone knows of a 2.4 block mated with a LNF head is around? "basicly on an 08+SS/TC swap the bottom ends."

i like the idea of more displacement and want to know whos done it or just thought of it?

It may seem obvious to some but not everyone is motor inclined so i feel obligated to say im not just looking for a head swap with stock internals. you would not use the stock internals some years on the 2.4 block "08+ rumor has it" had bad rods er weak, also the compression ratio would not be ideal for a turbocharged engine, another idea would be to just stroke the 2.0 with new internals.

can i get some thoughts on this and if anyone knows of a simular build? i know there are turbocharged 2.4's but keeping the lnf head retains the direct injection.

Thanks in advance btw just research

and for note my last engine build was a 2.5l turbocharged Ford Ranger and that engine is a complete different animal btw it didn't end well i still have it i just wont buy crap tuning software again. nor will i modify w/o dyno-tuning, thats a story for another time.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Idk much about that but don't think it would net much of a gain.. I was shut down on the last build I was gonna do and it was about the same thing you wanna do.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:04 PM

stroking the 2.0 would probably be easier. the pistons are designed specifically for the head and the di. someone was wanting to do this and was talking to k1 iirc about the stroker crank but i don't think it went anywhere.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bogalusahondakiller
Idk much about that but don't think it would net much of a gain.. I was shut down on the last build I was gonna do and it was about the same thing you wanna do.
much gain? i think so but everyone is intitled to there say so thats why i started this topic.

lets examin this at a basic level of math for an idea of gain, example
the stock egine produces 260lbs tq "give or take" lets not get to technical yet because every engine is different, altitude, weather, boost PSI,....anyways 260 at 2.0l displacement is 65 per 1/2 liter and .4 is just under that so give me some breathing room. that may not seem like much but if the an engine was tuned to say 20lbs boost w/ full bolt-ons on avg i see about 360lbs trq that same 2.0 engine would be producing in the neigborhood of 90lbs trq per 1/2 liter that same engine tuned at 360 bumped from 2.0 to 2.4 would be around 450. so it grows as your tune and boost are increased. as well as other supporting mods cams, head work, exct...

couple of things to keep in mind these are not real world numbers if this hasnt be done these numbers are only imaginary but still worth consideration

Bad?
This depends on if the 2.4 crank could even support that power. anyone?

cylinder wall Thicknes? is the 2.4 stroked or bored?

Good:
you would aslo be producing more exhaust gases so a better flowing head would be a good idea.

More exhaust gases means less lag time so you could support a larger turbo, larger turbo= more boost

do you know the old saying
"there is no replacement for displacement?"

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
stroking the 2.0 would probably be easier. the pistons are designed specifically for the head and the di. someone was wanting to do this and was talking to k1 iirc about the stroker crank but i don't think it went anywhere.
darn, good thoughts though i suppose this is why we need a larger aftermarket.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by thedrifter
much gain? i think so but everyone is intitled to there say so thats why i started this topic.

lets examin this at a basic level of math for an idea of gain, example
the stock egine produces 260lbs tq "give or take" lets not get to technical yet because every engine is different, altitude, weather, boost PSI,....anyways 260 at 2.0l displacement is 65 per 1/2 liter and .4 is just under that so give me some breathing room. that may not seem like much but if the an engine was tuned to say 20lbs boost w/ full bolt-ons on avg i see about 360lbs trq that same 2.0 engine would be producing in the neigborhood of 90lbs trq per 1/2 liter that same engine tuned at 360 bumped from 2.0 to 2.4 would be around 450. so it grows as your tune and boost are increased. as well as other supporting mods cams, head work, exct...

couple of things to keep in mind these are not real world numbers if this hasnt be done these numbers are only imaginary but still worth consideration

Bad?
This depends on if the 2.4 crank could even support that power. anyone?

cylinder wall Thicknes? is the 2.4 stroked or bored?

Good:
you would aslo be producing more exhaust gases so a better flowing head would be a good idea.

More exhaust gases means less lag time so you could support a larger turbo, larger turbo= more boost
i am with you on your above theory about the displacement increase adding the relative hp....though you would have to have a turbo that would support it as the stock k04 would be maxed out well before those power levels.

as far as head porting on the lnf head.....it is a very sensitive thing....conventional porting methods are ineffective on this head

im sure all of it could be done and it would make great power but it would cost a boat load to do which just isn't very feasible for your average ss owner
Old 09-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
i am with you on your above theory about the displacement increase adding the relative hp....though you would have to have a turbo that would support it as the stock k04 would be maxed out well before those power levels.

as far as head porting on the lnf head.....it is a very sensitive thing....conventional porting methods are ineffective on this head

im sure all of it could be done and it would make great power but it would cost a boat load to do which just isn't very feasible for your average ss owner
yep

didnt know that about the LNF head what a shame

does anyone know where the stock 2.4 crankshaft gives?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM

stock 2.4 crank can take the same 600 hp that the rest of the stock cranks can take. If I was going to do this I would run the 2 litre crank with the le5 block with custom bore lnf pistons because the le5 is bored out a good bit.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The LE5 has more bore and stroke than the 2.0 iirc,You would need a customs set of pistons made for the bore and direct injection of the LNF head,and would recommend getting a set of aftermarket rods for reliability.