Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Gestapo007's Paint Job Thread: Project Pumpkin

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good kevin!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Sigh* another long ass day of sanding, filling holes, priming, wetsanding the roof. Thought I was gonna shoot my final prime today on the spoiler but turns out theres some pinholes on the very edge of it, so i sanded them down, and have to fill tommorow, then prime AGAIN. This damn thing is annoying!

But i got the front bumper all wetsanded now, wetsanded the roof and pillers, and picked up the final materials I need besides pearl.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

Paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
*Sigh* another long ass day of sanding, filling holes, priming, wetsanding the roof. Thought I was gonna shoot my final prime today on the spoiler but turns out theres some pinholes on the very edge of it, so i sanded them down, and have to fill tommorow, then prime AGAIN. This damn thing is annoying!

But i got the front bumper all wetsanded now, wetsanded the roof and pillers, and picked up the final materials I need besides pearl.
Keep your head up man, its gonna be worth it for sure.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

quit bitching lol. you got into the collision industry....its filled with problems and twists and turns that you will never be ready for. some of the **** these shops do these days you wouldnt believe. just wait and see lol.

like matt said. keep your head up in the end it will be worth it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM

hurry up damnit hahaah jk dont do that i would hate to see you rush and it not come out good
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Cobalt09
quit bitching lol. you got into the collision industry....its filled with problems and twists and turns that you will never be ready for. some of the **** these shops do these days you wouldnt believe. just wait and see lol.

like matt said. keep your head up in the end it will be worth it.
lol im not bitching im exited for it. Im just SOAR lmao! I just go into it every morning like "alright i just gotta touch this up and bing bang boom ill be painting by next week!" and 9 hours later, a stiff back, and soaking wet shoes and socks the car barely looks any different What's getting on my nervs is that im starting to feel rushed. May 1st and everything has to be out of the shop. Theres alot of cars lined up for paint in the next couple weeks. Not a problem as ill have plenty of time when im ready for paint, but its all these little delays that getting me nervous. I dont wanna say **** it its good and regret it later on ya know. I wanna make it perfect. Just wish I had more time. Ill be there again from 730 - 6 tommorow and ill work on getting all the little details worked out. If I sound bitchy i apologize its just sheer exhaustion lol. Im getting a case of redbull for tomorrow and going to town
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM

lol im not bitching im exited for it. Im just SOAR lmao! I just go into it every morning like "alright i just gotta touch this up and bing bang boom ill be painting by next week!" and 9 hours later the car barely looks any different
Welcome to the world of autobody. I thought the truck I was working on would be a 2 week job, max. It was JUST replacing rocker panels... right? Not so much. As it sits not, it has one rocker panel done, a new cab corner, and absolutely NO driver's side floor pan, cab support, or seat support. I am having to fab all of the supports from scratch. Its been a month long project already! Lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

lol im not bitching im exited for it. Im just SOAR lmao! I just go into it every morning like "alright i just gotta touch this up and bing bang boom ill be painting by next week!" and 9 hours later, a stiff back, and soaking wet shoes and socks the car barely looks any different What's getting on my nervs is that im starting to feel rushed. May 1st and everything has to be out of the shop. Theres alot of cars lined up for paint in the next couple weeks. Not a problem as ill have plenty of time when im ready for paint, but its all these little delays that getting me nervous. I dont wanna say **** it its good and regret it later on ya know. I wanna make it perfect
fly me in for a week
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM

^lol I wish i could. but this is making me broke

dont worry ill make some progress tommorow. Guide coated that primer bumper and wetsanded the **** out of it. Trying to get it smooth as hell, especially in all those hard to reach areas like the fog light holes. What I gotta do tommorow is get this car up on jack stands and feather out any rock chips along the rocker panels. I didnt really see any, but theyll stand out like a soar thumb when I candy it. Theyll look like red freckles on an orange car where the candy will sit and build up in there. So I really gotta go over it and make sure everything is good. Other then that its just finish the spoiler, take the door panels off and interior pieces out, scuff them up, the wheels up, calipers up, jams up, and im ready. I say end of next week ill probobly have the wheels, calipers, and maybe the jambs done. Apparently the way I gotta spray this is do the jambs one day and the rest of the car another day. I wasnt real happy about that, but what Sean told me was if I did all at the same time, when i sprayed the jambs with candy the overspray will land on the face of the car and then when i sprayed that it would have more candy in those areas then the rest of the car and would look darker. To compensate I would have to lay the base down, then tape around jambs, spray candy, let it flash, untape car and tape jambs, spray car, untape jambs then spray clear. He said we just dont have the time in a day to get all that accomplished. But I would really like to not have any sort of edge at all if i didnt have to

You gotta see this POS RX7 that some1 donated to us and we did some body work on it and 2 toned it black with silver and layed blue candy over the whole thing. Sean (my teacher) sprayed the candy and clear on it today, and **** looks awsome. I love that blue.

Has Metal flake in it so they sprayed silver and black with metal flake, cleared, and wetsanded then sprayed the candy clear. The silver base has metal flake, the black actually has gold mine pearl. Theyll probobly wetsand it and buff it when it comes out but it looks freakin awsome. Thing had all rust holes in it and dents when it came in. Interior is still **** and theres a car show coming up so we'll tint them 5% and put it in the show

Last edited by Gestapo007; 04-07-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM

Hey Kevin, wanna paint some candy over my car? Lol. I think it would be sick to have a candy black Balt, and I need paint anyway.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM

^lol I wish i could. but this is making me broke

You gotta see this POS RX7 that some1 donated to us and we did some body work on it and 2 toned it black with silver and layed blue candy over the whole thing. Sean (my teacher) sprayed the candy and clear on it today, and **** looks awsome. I love that blue.

Has Metal flake in it so they sprayed silver and black with metal flake, cleared, and wetsanded then sprayed the candy clear. The silver base has metal flake, the black actually has gold mine pearl. Theyll probobly wetsand it and buff it when it comes out but it looks freakin awsome. Thing had all rust holes in it and dents when it came in. Interior is still **** and theres a car show coming up so we'll tint them 5% and put it in the show
Awesome color
Candy FTW!!!!!!!!
i want to take the class your in soo bad lol
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 PM

cant wait to get that RX7 out in the sun and snap some pics. You know when my ***** in that booth itll look so much sexier!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned

Yeah unfortunatly that's how you have to spray candies lol. Pain in the ass
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Cobalt09
Yeah unfortunatly that's how you have to spray candies lol. Pain in the ass
lol im scared to spray mine! I wanna set up a hood and hang it and paint that b4 i do mine. Wanna make sure I can lay it down evenly with the right overlap
Old 04-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Banned

the whole thing is you want to have a consistent spray pattern, material output and consistent air pressure. any major flucuation will screw it up. basically when i do candies i make sure to have all my paint pre-mixed and ready to go in the booth(i have multiple guns but you can switch the cups easily if you ups the rps or pps or norton system) i try to spray with a wide open fan, and my air pressure on the gun all the way open but i control it to about 27psi on the wall system. at that rate everything is flowing out of the gun the way it should be
Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 AM

yea man that sounds nice. Im going to be using a RP Sata. I think I wana see if I can get my hands on the night instructers Iwata. Hes got 4 REAL nice guns and all he different air caps for it, like the purple one thats supposed to be for candies. Plus he swears by Iwata. Never sprayed it before but figured id give it a shot.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

the only time i swear by iwata is for waterbourne. they atomize the paint twice which is ideal for waterbourne paints. other then that i only use sata 3000s non digital because i have the adam in back of all the runs as a counterweight. unfortunately we cant use the rp's out here
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM

nice stuff, that rx7 with the candy on the black really gives off a deep purple look which is pretty cool. that is a sexy blue though, makes me want to spray mine that with silver in some lions colors
Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sub'd. looks like a lot of hard work.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Wow another long day at the shop

Today I worked on that spoiler some more, fixed pinholes, found another weak spot and injected resign and hardner in it. Primed it. Then I started to get picky about the bottom where it was all uneven above the 3rd brake light and decided to fix it when people were telling me to just leave and no1 will notice, but it was pissing me off bad. So i started to add some finishing putty and **** there and sanding, also noticed a low spot that im gonna need to guidecoat and block out tommorow so thats the major plans for tommorow.

Today I also took the DA with 400 grit and did the Passenger side of the car and feathered out rock chips and took all the texture out of the paint so I can lay basecoat down. It was getting twords 7:00 at night and figured id DA the driver side tomorrow.

ALSO, I did a spray out card of my material so I can see the color. Looks FANTASTIC. God knows how the pics will look on a computer screen, I know my monitor has alot of contrast so it probobly wont look the same. But The silver basecoat is VERY transparent since its really coarse flake, I layed about 5 coats on it and still couldnt completely cover it. So Im gonna bring it back to the paint store and have them add some small metallics to the mix to make it cover better. But on to the pics:

Silver base

Candy in clear basecoat:

1coat

2 coats

Starting from the Bottom to the Top on the sprayout card is, 2 coats, 3, 4, 5, and 6 coats of candy

I took a bunch of pics since all i have is my cell phone and is different lighting the candy changes a bit and my cell phone adjusts its own color settings and changes ****. I think I like 3 or 4 coats the best. The 2nd one and 3rd one from the bottom. In the sunlight though, my camera shows it as red'ish, but holy crap in person it brightens up ALOT and looks amazing. The 2 coats looks more yellowish in the sun. 3 coats still has a SLIGHT yellowish tinge in direct sunlight where 4 is just bright ass metallic orange.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM

2 or 3 for me
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Think pic here represents the actual colors a bit better then the rest . 2 is kinda pale. doesnt look that good
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

3 or 4 or 5......me personally 4
Old 04-08-2010, 10:06 PM

Think pic here represents the actual colors a bit better then the rest . 2 is kinda pale. doesnt look that good
3-4 coats FTW'awesome color man

Quick Reply: Gestapo007's Paint Job Thread: Project Pumpkin