Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Gestapo007's Paint Job Thread: Project Pumpkin

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im having my upholeter due my headliner, visors and my sunroof slider thing. same material as stock but black.

take out the whole headliner. take out the back row of bolts and the side ones but leave the front row in. you will see a metal cross bar(not the silver one) up there. theres 2 allen key bolts in there. undo them and the beam comes out. slide it back give it a little tug and it will come right out. BE CAREFUL when i say give it a little tug lol. i tugged to hard and had my head up there at the same time to make sure i wasent hitting anything and i wasent gunna rip it. well i biffed myself in the lip pretty good hahaha.

Originally Posted by RYRO14
^^^ Where did you get the dash pod from, looks nice!
most guys custom make them. i think cobalt addiction and a few users on here sell them though. you can make one for literally like 20 bucks and some time.

Last edited by Boosted_Cobalt09; 04-05-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RYRO14
^^^ Where did you get the dash pod from, looks nice!
Made it out of some 2" PVC pipe, fiberglass and some bondo.

Originally Posted by mkriebs
Well, I want candy pink from you. I will NOT respect you til you do that.
I can candy pink something besides my car for ya

Originally Posted by Boosted_Cobalt09
im having my upholeter due my headliner, visors and my sunroof slider thing. same material as stock but black.

take out the whole headliner. take out the back row of bolts and the side ones but leave the front row in. you will see a metal cross bar(not the silver one) up there. theres 2 allen key bolts in there. undo them and the beam comes out. slide it back give it a little tug and it will come right out. BE CAREFUL when i say give it a little tug lol. i tugged to hard and had my head up there at the same time to make sure i wasent hitting anything and i wasent gunna rip it. well i biffed myself in the lip pretty good hahaha.

most guys custom make them. i think cobalt addiction and a few users on here sell them though. you can make one for literally like 20 bucks and some time.
alright cool man, i gotta print that out and bring it with me when if uck with it. LOL at you getting biffed!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

lol yeah i was pulling on it a bit and then it just gave way lol and bam. i was like F*CK thats one way to get a fat lip. note to self.......be careful no matter what you do lol
Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
hey man you got any tips on that headliner? Looks like your doing your interior the right way. Im going to be blacking it out like you. I got all my pillars already black, you can kinda seem them in this pic:

Its just the headliner and buttons and switches and **** i gotta black out. How does the damn sunroof slider come out?
I reupholstered mine.
$8 in fabric + black paint and glue I already had.

You actually have to remove the sunroof for the slider. Once you have the headliner out, it is 6 nuts. Once it is out, the is two screws on the top that lock the slider from being able to be pulled out. Take them off, then slide it out and wrap it
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM

lmao thanks dude your alot of help. Ill probobly wind up with a black eye anyways. ill get it out alright and then faceplant out of the car

Originally Posted by RossGo
I reupholstered mine.
$8 in fabric + black paint and glue I already had.

You actually have to remove the sunroof for the slider. Once you have the headliner out, it is 6 nuts. Once it is out, the is two screws on the top that lock the slider from being able to be pulled out. Take them off, then slide it out and wrap it
i was gonna re-wrap mine myself, but i was in the paitn store and it was sitting right there and we got to talking about it and i wound up buying it.

Last edited by Gestapo007; 04-05-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

ill put money on the fact you dont have to remove the whole sunroof as i did it lol. just dont let the thing sag there for days. as soon as i pulled mine out i bolted it right back up like it was from the factory.

besides cut hands, black eyes, etc etc its part of working the body shop biz.

heres a funny story. im working on the saleen putting headers in. i go to cut the tabs off the 02 sensors for the extensions. well i didnt think the plastic was going to be as hard as a diamond haha. well sure enough the razor blade slipped and i cut my had between my thumb and my pointer finger about 6" so clean that it didnt even bleed for like 30 seconds lol. anyways so i continue to work until i notice my whol arms red which is hard to notice since i have full sleeves haha. so i walk up to the office and tell my boss me:" HEY you think this **** needs switches!!!!" boss:"hes like wash it off and let me look lol" ...goes and washes cut off and comes back......me""well what do you think?" boss:"nope heres some neosporin, fill it like you would a little dent or gouge in plastic and put a bandaid on it."me"k" ....puts does what he says.... well go figure sure enough i start to feel dizzy so i was trying to sit myself down....notice the TRYING lol. well sure enough i collapse and smack my nose on the edge of his desk and that im bleeding all over the place hahaha. what a day lol. that was an FML day
Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 PM

...holy christ. I dont even know what to say to that. wow. Thats some scary **** brotha. I havent seen no hardcore cuts like that yet in the shop luckily. when i used to work at a fish market thats a different story lol. Saleen's are sexy though. At least it wasnt a POS honda
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

usually i only hurt myself on nice cars so the spilled bloods worth it lol. that **** was too funny AFTER it happened. yeah ive seen a lot of screwed up things...one of them being why i use jackstands EVERYTIME im under the car unless its on a lift. even then i make sure to have the safetys on.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 PM

usually i only hurt myself on nice cars so the spilled bloods worth it lol. that **** was too funny AFTER it happened. yeah ive seen a lot of screwed up things...one of them being why i use jackstands EVERYTIME im under the car unless its on a lift. even then i make sure to have the safetys on.
whaat youv seen a car fall on some1 on a jack?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

yeah guy was under a car putting some grease in a bushing and the jack gave and his head was pressed between the floor and the lower control arm. worst part was we couldnt just lift the car back up so we had to listen to him scream until paramedics arrived. if we would have lifted it, it would have killed him.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM

..wow dude thats crazy....
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

yeah guy was under a car putting some grease in a bushing and the jack gave and his head was pressed between the floor and the lower control arm. worst part was we couldnt just lift the car back up so we had to listen to him scream until paramedics arrived. if we would have lifted it, it would have killed him.
waaaaa thats insane, I never go under my car without the jack still under and both my stands.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BumbleBee
waaaaa thats insane, I never go under my car without the jack still under and both my stands.
yea i use jackstands all the time. But just recently i jacked up the rear and slid half of my body under real quick while i did something without stands and honestly thats all i was thinking about was getting out of there as quick as i could. It felt like not wearing a seat belt. Just...awkward. But now i will be scared shitless thank you
Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

yeah i just use a lift at the shop and if im at home jackstands no questions asked. that scared me for life.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
East Coast Cobalts

Originally Posted by Gestapo007
hey man you got any tips on that headliner? Looks like your doing your interior the right way. Im going to be blacking it out like you. I got all my pillars already black, you can kinda seem them in this pic:

Its just the headliner and buttons and switches and **** i gotta black out. How does the damn sunroof slider come out?
Real cool Kevin dont ask me about this..jk I re-wrapped my headliner in the carbon fiber material cost me like $70 because i had to get the super strong 3M spray adhesive.

Also get an aftermarket head unit and then trade your HVAC controls to someone with a regular cobalt like i did which is all black.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kinda shifter is that?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM

b&m shifter
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool. thank you
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM

gahh i can't wait to see this finished!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM

holy crap just got in like an hour ago. All day still on that spoiler *face palm* Im tired of it. My feet hurt from standing and sanding all damn day. Will be done tommorow though, really hoped to get it done today. Bit dissapointed. Kinda putting me behind now.

Well as I was sanding on it today I would sand into the fiberglass and reach weak spots. I got a hammer and a screw and just started punching holes in all the weak spots and mixed up a whole bunch of resin and hardener and got a syringe and injected as much as I could into all of the holes. Tried to fill most of the spoiler with resin to make it real strong and I think i got it pretty good. Then Im still working on getting the bottom smooth and filling pinholes and adding filler to the top and trying to make a nice transition from the spoiler to the trunk. 8 hours today sanding and filling and ****. Geez. Im ready to grind it off

Also brought one of my cheap HVLP guns to prime since the ones at the shop are poorly maintained and spray like crap. Leaves it feeling like sandpaper. So the primer layed down pretty nice now, that made me happy. And heres some closeups of the imperfections I still have to fix tommorow.

I think I got the curve pretty good though. Im happy with it.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM

damnit that looks hot. as a nascar guy i love the spoiler of course.

it gives me many an idea for the future.

cant wait to see how this turns. 1 shot deal to finish spraying it or do you have another car to use while its going through its paces with the paint?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM

iv been putting the trunk lid back on and daily driving in right now. Its fine to drive while im doing this, yea a pain in the ass to have to remove it everyday but untill i rip apart the interior to scuff up its my DD. Then ill borrow a car to drive for a week when im ready for paint
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 AM

looks good
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM

gona be one badass lookin ride!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
East Coast Cobalts

I might go get my extra trunk lid and have you make one of these for me.

Quick Reply: Gestapo007's Paint Job Thread: Project Pumpkin