Autocross and Road Racing Road racing is not “street racing”

Possible 1st Auto-X this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F_Imports_09tc
Where do you get the short antenna from, I have an 09SS coupe and that short black antenna you looks a thousand times better than the stock one. Thanks.
Modern Performance is where I picked mine up (i'm sure others around)

http://www.modernperformance.com/sho...lt-p-1869.html

Havent noticed any loss in signal reception.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 AM

Yeah, I just found my invoice. It's as he said. www.modernperformance.com
Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 AM

Oh nice firebird been there only once for drags. Never seen the auto x course but now i wanna look into it. Only thing is im not stock lol.. Supercharged 2.2 what class does that leave me in? Like vs vipers n vettes? Lol.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 AM

Thanks Buzz. Can't wait for you're videos o be up.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 AM

This is frustrating! (The vid part) I've got them but I can't seem to clip them. They're in the *.MOD form. I've tried renaming them to *.MPG and they will run in Windows Media Player but I can't find a program to 'clip' them.

As for what class you're in...it's tricky. For starters you'd be in Novice...but whether you're in Novice 1, 2 or 3 depends on your car and what mods.

Car to list what mods you have? Perhaps I can help you figure it out. OR...

You can go to the SCCA website and they have PDF files of the cars, classes, rules etc... It's complicated for my simple mind though...sheesh.

My car, completly stock is in DS or D-Stock. and I'm running NV1 or Novice 1 for this season. (4 more 'events')
Oh and as for viper's and vettes... I beat the time of 4 different vettes. It's all about fun!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Uh my car is a base LS with a m62, 2.9" 42# injen cai, header full cat back. Ill be doing suspension soon i think ill have fun after that. The stock sus on the base models.. meh .. so maybe after that.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 AM

OK, I think I got the vids figured out. But I'm going to have to wait till I get home from work to do them. On my laptop it says it's going to take 5hours for ONE of the files.

I'd be willing to be my home PC can do it in less than 1 hour.
QX9770 Extreme quad-core... It hauls ass.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Whatup Buzz65,
this is berny2435 (Ryan) from AZsolo.com
I joined here to see what you guys are using to put that power down get through the corners on XX suspension!!!

Trying to decide if I should get a smaller Front Swaybar currently!

EDIT; OH yeah, just so everyone knows, Buzz did a great job at his first AutoX with us AZsolo guys. I was impressed with his driving and the power these new Cobalts have. he was boiling some tires! around a couple sweepers I saw!

I just now figured out that the Turbo version is in DS and SC is in GS.

do you know if the turbo is going to be in STU since the SC is in STX?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by berny2435
Whatup Buzz65,
this is berny2435 (Ryan) from AZsolo.com
I joined here to see what you guys are using to put that power down get through the corners on XX suspension!!!

Trying to decide if I should get a smaller Front Swaybar currently!

EDIT; OH yeah, just so everyone knows, Buzz did a great job at his first AutoX with us AZsolo guys. I was impressed with his driving and the power these new Cobalts have. he was boiling some tires! around a couple sweepers I saw!

I just now figured out that the Turbo version is in DS and SC is in GS.

Hey berny, Welcome!! And thanks for the kind words. Just to let you guys know, Berny here is currently in 1st place in STX OPEN running an 08 Civic Si. He FLIES. His outright laptime was 3.506 faster than my best and the correction factor (it's used by SCCA called PAX) puts it at 2.61 faster. Either way you look at it, he hauls.

I am going to get the vids working, hopefully today/this afternoon. You can then see my total lack of smoothness and how rough I was on my poor tires.

As for the classification (if I ever get out of novice) I posted a a new thread over at azsolo.com to try to get that clarified.

Thanks for coming over Berny!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:45 AM

hey no problem! I most def give respect where respect is due and thanks for the compliments! I had a lot of fun and it was my first time on my new alignment setup and 245s so I most def left a lot of time out there as far as my driving line went. I need to get a camera setup like you. I'm working on that now.

I'm looking forward to the vids
Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 PM
des

Whatup Buzz65,

Bernie, the TC is in STX because it's under 2 liters. Thinking of trying it there myself if we get tired of DS.

And, oddly enough, I also have an 08 Civic Si that did great here in Seattle, though we switched midyear to R compounds and the Cobalt. In two years, the only ST event I ever lost was when I jumped into another car. I think it would make a killer GS car now that the Mini is moving out.

Buzz, nice job on your first outing. The learning curve is steep! It'll probably take four or five events to even get on the same second as the veterans. Don't get frustrated, just have fun and learn, learn, learn.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by des
Bernie, the TC is in STX because it's under 2 liters. Thinking of trying it there myself if we get tired of DS.

And, oddly enough, I also have an 08 Civic Si that did great here in Seattle, though we switched midyear to R compounds and the Cobalt. In two years, the only ST event I ever lost was when I jumped into another car. I think it would make a killer GS car now that the Mini is moving out.

Buzz, nice job on your first outing. The learning curve is steep! It'll probably take four or five events to even get on the same second as the veterans. Don't get frustrated, just have fun and learn, learn, learn.
Even though I could do well there, maybe even regionally, I wont go GS with R comps. I like playing with more than shock valving and a Front sway bar.. . Plus I want to get back into HPDE so I'm swapping out my Front brakes for thicker TSX rotors and larger TSX calipers cuz the OEM brakes can't take the heat.

I like how STX is going to turn out with the presence of the Cobalts. Give those pesky AWD WRXs and BMWs a run for their money. No really good base WRX drivers in my region but there is a good RX8 guy and a really good 325i guy and both cars are prepped, the 325i with more prep.

Us FWD guys need to sharpen our skills and fully prep our cars and get our arsses to Nationals next year. I'm kinda workin on it if I can prove myself this fall down in AZ with the thick talent we have.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by des

Even though I could do well there, maybe even regionally, I wont go GS with R comps. I like playing with more than shock valving and a Front sway bar.. . Plus I want to get back into HPDE so I'm swapping out my Front brakes for thicker TSX rotors and larger TSX calipers cuz the OEM brakes can't take the heat.

I like how STX is going to turn out with the presence of the Cobalts. Give those pesky AWD WRXs and BMWs a run for their money. No really good base WRX drivers in my region but there is a good RX8 guy and a really good 325i guy and both cars are prepped, the 325i with more prep.

Us FWD guys need to sharpen our skills and fully prep our cars and get our arsses to Nationals next year. I'm kinda workin on it if I can prove myself this fall down in AZ with the thick talent we have.
Thx for the compliment des, I know it's going to be exponentially harder to get any faster... The fun part is, the biggest areas for improvement in my situation lie specifically in the "Seat to Steering-wheel Input Mechanism" or...ME.

I'm sure if I had the sticky tires that some folks run I may have been a hair quicker... but to me, my biggest gains are going to come from improving my smoothness and my lines. When I watch the vids of my runs I can see I'm turning in too late, braking too late (On my fastest lap I totally blew one corner, which threw me off for the next!...yet I still managed to have that as my fastest lap somehow)

It's still a little confusing to me as to which class I'd like to be in next. My goal was to stay as stock as possible which I assume would put me in ST1.

However, I'm still just learning so for now...1 step at a time.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM

AS stock as possible is DS ST1 - can only do shocks with stock springs and OEM camber adjustments, Front swaybar(smaller would be best for high hp) and up to 225 tires I think. Mind you this is a local class in PHX.

next step would be STX in which you can do most modifications you can really think of that are bolt on, including ECU tuning but you can't raise the boost.

I do well in STX with a far underprepped, low HP car locally. Nationally I wouldn't stand a chance, car prep or driver 'exp" wise. That will change though.

focus your attention on getting Experience just like you've said. next tires then suspension and then power!

I'm still in suspension mode and I'm truely up in the air on what I want to spend money on next.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM

Here are links to the 3 vids I took

1st Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssji_jFNk4s
(forgot to record 2nd run)
3rd Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf3t05m-hxs

4th Run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBT4bo4l71Y
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM

As it turns out, the guy that got 1st in this had a highly modified WRX STI... So I ended up with 1st in this one!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:47 PM

nice work at the last AutoX man! 1st place! Not sure why we never chatted. See you at the next one. Hopefully we can both get 1st place again. Especially me so I can lock down 1st place trophy for STX lol!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 AM

nice work at the last AutoX man! 1st place! Not sure why we never chatted. See you at the next one. Hopefully we can both get 1st place again. Especially me so I can lock down 1st place trophy for STX lol!
Thanks, you too!! Putting it TO them w/your Honda! (BTW, this car is my 1st 'non-Honda' for quite some time).

It's cool to see a Honda doing well. I'm sure you'll lock the 1st place spot!
I've gotten lucky so far. I've been in 3 autox's and essentially taken 1st in all three. The 1st race at FIR west I took 2nd. But the guy to who took 1st was in modified Suby. He's been placed in a different class now. I went to Tucson and took 1st in the Novice class down there...and my most recent one I took 1st in Novice and if I was in ST1, I would have taken 1st in that too! I know it's just a lucky streak...or as Kevin O. put it... my "cheater car"... It's cool having a cheater car though...you just get in..and it does all the driving for ya!~ J/K. I know what he meant when he said that.

I've been a Honda fan for quite some time. I bought a Honda CBR600 back in 1987 (Yeah, the "Hurricane") That was when Honda released their first "600" to compete against the Ninja's. It was awesome although it looks really dated now-a-days. I did all my own maintenance on it and I put 110 thousand miles on it. It took me almost 10 years of riding it. It was a great bike. Before that I owned a Honda Interceptor 500, before that was a 1978 Honda CB750 and before that Honda Dirtbikes! Not to mention the 4 preludes I owned. Most of which were the mid-80's 'wedge' shaped ones. I loved that style of car. the pop-up headlights... a litthe cheesy these days but cool back then.

Oh and I still own a 94 Accord EX (2-door coupe!) and a 04 Odyssey EX. So I love seeing your Si out there.

The main reason we've probably not seen each other is because I normally have to leave right after my runs because I work Sunday nights. I rush home to get a few hrs of sleep prior to work. However, on the November 8th event I've taken a vacation day...so I'm probably going to stay and possibly do the TO's as well. For sure I'll look you up on that day. It should be less hectic with no time restrictions.

Cheers and see ya then!

John.
PS... azsolo.com forums are dead I guess?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by fslick
when you throttled out of the corners, did u find urself having to be careful feathering it and not engaging the turbo too early in the turn?

When i did that... (steering wheel still cranked but already foot in throttle...)
car simply wont accelerate... not sure b/c of my ESC on..? I can hear the engine rev up
but car didnt really accelerate...

is that what you've experienced?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Well, first thing is I always turn off ESC before an autox. I WANT the thing to slide a bit. some of the tighter corners I actually transfer the weight of the car with the wheel and initiate a slight slide by tapping brakes. You can't do that w/ESC on.

To turn it off simply hold the button down for approx 10 seconds. Then you'll see if flash ESC OFF.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM

ha, yeah the cheater car thing is funny.

I don't really consider you car a cheater car "yet" unless it proves it can put down the power with street tires that fit under the wheel wells. The Cobalt SS on 245s should still be quicker than my car on 245s though. Get you some 17x9s and 245s and lets go heads up yo!!! lol!

Is the cobalt 5x114.3 now or still like 5x120?

yeah, next event I will look for you a little harder. NASAX should be fun. I volunteered to work it though. we'll see how that goes! lol I want NASAX to become popular though as it will mainly be held on road courses which will be awesome! I like the classing strategy but my car is a severe underdog in in NXE and NXD even if I did tons of upgrades. Locally, SCCA STX looks to be the place for me. Once I get coilovers and a ECU tune, Elliot in his 325i will have something to fear.

later
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM

5x110
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM

ha, yeah the cheater car thing is funny.

I don't really consider you car a cheater car "yet" unless it proves it can put down the power with street tires that fit under the wheel wells. The Cobalt SS on 245s should still be quicker than my car on 245s though. Get you some 17x9s and 245s and lets go heads up yo!!! lol!

yeah, next event I will look for you a little harder. NASAX should be fun. I volunteered to work it though. we'll see how that goes! lol I want NASAX to become popular though as it will mainly be held on road courses which will be awesome! I like the classing strategy but my car is a severe underdog in in NXE and NXD even if I did tons of upgrades. Locally, SCCA STX looks to be the place for me. Once I get coilovers and a ECU tune, Elliot in his 325i will have something to fear.

later
Talk about underdog... My car is in NXC! With your driving and the very few mods you have, you're already faster than me in the autox course and your car is at least one if not two classes below mine in NASAX. Perhaps if I put a few upgrades on mine it'd fair better but it seems classed wrong to me.

Unfortunately, I'll have to be leaving the NASAX event this week as soon as possible too. (Work) I was going to volunteer as well but I'll need to work. However, I've taken a vacation day for the Nov 8th event. I plan on staying the whole day and doing TO's as well.

After being in only 3 events I've decided I prefer the road-course versions as well. The longer the course, the better chance this little go-balt has to stretch its legs.

Well, I guess I'll see ya Sunday!

Cheers!

John