Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

ZZP Forged Short Block happy campers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP Forged Short Block happy campers

After destroying my attempted build, and being left with little choice but a new block we decided to invest in quality rather than some junkyard special. A wise choice as it turns out, we have done thousands in business with ZZP the past 2 years so we knew they would do it right and if something were not right they would make it so.

The product:

2.4l LE5 Supercharged ZZP Forged Short Block
8.8:1 CR JE forged pistons
4340 ZZP Forged rods
ZZP NBS

Looked like this to my door:

Girdle:

Modified keyway for SC ATI damper:

Took about a month from order to delivery, dealt with Shane and Turbo Tim exclusively.

The verdict after 250 miles, it smoked the first 5 minutes and not a hint since. My tuning efforts have been a simple MAF adjustment of 10% across the table and it purrs with no complaint...it will roar once broken in and fully tooned. Ran halvoline conventional the first start up until it warmed up to operating temp and then drained and filled with brad penn break in, was worried it might not have been 100% clean in the pan (which was fully sealed up) so I wanted to run some expendable oil before the penn but a filter change showed nothing out of the ordinary. Very happy so far, sounds like a well built engine with no strange or unknown mechanical noises like I said it just purrs.

The good:

-ZZP built it
-Rings sealed fast
-Came as advertised

Needs improvement:

-Shipping got tied up due to wrong phone # on crate, right phone # is in ZZP database
-ARP flywheel bolts too long for flexplate applications
-CR options limited, would have had to wait another month for any other CR pistons

It wasn't on our 'to buy' list, but **** happened and we are proud owners of a quality girdled ZZP forged block that will take whatever our puny M62 build can dish out.

ZZP did a great job!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great I can't wait to order mine