Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

2010/23k miles/ 2.2 & drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010/23k miles/ 2.2 & drivetrain noise

i have a 2010 coupe with 23k miles on it and just recently about 2 days ago i noticed some loud creaking when im stopped in drive. i put it in reverse, foot firmly on the brake without it slipping and get the same loud creak noise.first i thought it was my muffler(magnaflow muffler) making the noise but it has never made the noise before and the rpms barely change from park to drive.
i think it might be my torque converter. im not sure but it sounds bad. i really hate to deal with dealerships but seems like im gonna have to bring it in.

any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKSyuXdAPU

Last edited by dtowngreg; 10-26-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
i cant really hear much odd noise in the video, however i can tell you a creeking isnt the torque converter. torque converters will make a humming type noise only (bad bearing).

we can sit here and guess all day and night, however take most of what people say here with a grain of salt. there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, however its impossible to diagnose your noise just by that video, and anything said here will be guessing. your going to have to take it somewhere and have it looked at, being its under warrenty id take it to the dealer.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
i cant really hear much odd noise in the video, however i can tell you a creeking isnt the torque converter. torque converters will make a humming type noise only (bad bearing).

we can sit here and guess all day and night, however take most of what people say here with a grain of salt. there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, however its impossible to diagnose your noise just by that video, and anything said here will be guessing. your going to have to take it somewhere and have it looked at, being its under warrenty id take it to the dealer.
last time i took it to the dealer for a dash rattle on idle. the guy was power braking it. i was like wtf thats not idle! rasied hell over there about him tearing it up. i really despise the dealership. everytime i go its a nightmare. something gets torn up/denied/broken.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:43 AM

Can you be alittle more descriptive as to what condition creates the noise? I didnt hear a creak in the video, But your a 2.2 with SS Wheels at least so i first think of springs/shocks or CAB's cause your car was not designed to handle heavy wheel's/sticky low sidewall tires. Full list of mods?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
Can you be alittle more descriptive as to what condition creates the noise? I didnt hear a creak in the video, But your a 2.2 with SS Wheels at least so i first think of springs/shocks or CAB's cause your car was not designed to handle heavy wheel's/sticky low sidewall tires. Full list of mods?
no this car is a 2lt with sport appearence option. it came with the ss bumpers. lsj seats. and the 2.4-na/ss wheels.(17s). all stock. i did put lsj springs on it about 10k miles ago.

and foot on brake either standing on it or lightly but not slipping. car in drive or reverse. car is stationary and loud creaking is coming from the rear. sounds like the parking brake is on and it isnt

Last edited by dtowngreg; 10-26-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 AM

Well have you had it in the air to take a look at the rear? If it's coming from the rear it 's not trans, They dont tend to creak, Could be a bad rear end bushing or cross member link or even shocks or as simple as an exhaust hanger, You have rear drum brakes correct? If so then the suspension on your car all tho refined is still base model, Sport appearance option is different than sport suspension my friend! no hate intended! if you have rear drums and drive her hard it could be brake drum hangup! If you have a jack and stands you could figure this out to avoid dealer woes i promise you this!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
Well have you had it in the air to take a look at the rear? If it's coming from the rear it 's not trans, They dont tend to creak, Could be a bad rear end bushing or cross member link or even shocks or as simple as an exhaust hanger, You have rear drum brakes correct? If so then the suspension on your car all tho refined is still base model, Sport appearance option is different than sport suspension my friend! no hate intended! if you have rear drums and drive her hard it could be brake drum hangup! If you have a jack and stands you could figure this out to avoid dealer woes i promise you this!
yeah i hate brake drums. it sounds like it could be that.
heres another vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8AVSADlu2k

u can hear it at 53,1:08,1:34,1:42 seconds after i put it in gear it creaks
Old 10-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Well put her up in the air and remove the wheels and check for proper brake drum operation by turning them by hand, atleast gives you a starting point cause from your second vid it sounds like hangup to me!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 PM

I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. I noticed when I'm stopped at like a red light it creaks too
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 PM

right around 3k rpm I hear a grinding/rattle noise. Think it might be the heatshield. Where exactly is it located at?